Total Boated:1,0

Species Breakdown:

Hot Lure: jay plug hook set

Trolling Speed: 2.5

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 100 to 600

Lure Depth: 50-125

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS well if anyone seen my last report you would know i lost down rigger weight and gear last time out, about 150 dollars worth, well lets just say the old wifes tail that it comes in threes is true, saturday at fair haven sucked until i was pulling rods to go in, and a j-plug hook set droped on the boat floor and i went to grab it and hook stayed attached to the floor and the other hook went straight into my left middle finger buried so deep that it was hard to look at, well that was at 11:30 and by 4:30 north med had finally taken it out, if that wasnt bad enough. i desided to fish sunday out of oswego to make up for the day before, well we got ther early in antispation of the large crowd i expected so at 6am we were going out past the break wall, and by 6:20 we made are 911 call because we were without forward or reverse, after talking to coast gaurd we were not in immediate danger they got us in touch with boat u.s for a tow, well by 8am we still hadnt seen any one and we were drifting fast towards canada, we started in 150fow and by the time we had seen the tow boat we were in 550fow, you think that would be the end of the story, but no way, come to find out the tow boat starts taking on water and calls the coast gaurd for help, 2 coast gaurd boats come out and 1 follows him in and the other hooks up to us and tows us in, the coast gaurd is one class act, always profesional and courtious, and man that captain on the bigger boat can handle that boat flawlessly, all in all we got back to the dock at 11:30, so i think i can take a hint, i am done for this year

====================

Wow...what a way to end the season!!!! I feel your pain,literally...i buried a rapala treble deep into my finger this spring,while hastily trying to get it back in the water on a hot brown trout bite....OUCH!! throbbing pain for 4 hours,had to stop in Fulton to get it removed on my way home. :( Good wire cutting pliers are a must , couldn't fish with that J-9 Rap dangling from my Finger !!! And Fast and Silver ,keep anchor and 300 or more feet of anchor line, or a couple of drift socks handy to stop you , or slow you down from drifting out further from shore or drifting into shore Rocks etc.!! Good Luck next year out on the big lake !!! Better day's are ahead of you.!!! choo-choo steve

We've all had days that we should have stayed in bed. The last few times I've buried a hook I used the piece of stout line technique, depressed the barb and had a friend yank it out. It works great and I was back fishing in 5 minutes. Have use the method several times and it has not failed me yet. I now carry a piece of cord and a piece of dowel in the boat as a precaution.

We've all had days that we should have stayed in bed. The last few times I've buried a hook I used the piece of stout line technique, depressed the barb and had a friend yank it out. It works great and I was back fishing in 5 minutes. Have use the method several times and it has not failed me yet. I now carry a piece of cord and a piece of dowel in the boat as a precaution.

Dag, that removal procedure sounds brutal! If they are real deep (and not near the eye, yup, had one of those) I push the barbed end right on thru and cut it off w/ a pair of heavy dikes, then the hook comes back out the way it went in. I haven't had to remove a Mag treble yet, mostly stix! -Andy

KJL and Chowder....yeah the" push the barb through" clip off and back out method works if it's not super deep and not near the bone . If the hook point touches the bone or is anywhere near it , do not try to remove it without medical assistance. The doctor at the clinic in fulton told me you can have some real serious infection problems, if the metal hook scratches the bone. He took some x_rays to see if my hook was near the bone , so he new what type of incision,and cleaning out process , and removal was best. Fish slime, and metal hooks deep into your finger or bone can give you a bad infection , or worse, if not taken care of properly. A tetenous shot and anti- biotics are sometimes recommended depending on some factors also. Keep this in mind next time anyone you know get's a hook into them !!!!Depth of the hook point and barb,whether it scratched a bone, or if it is near a bone , angle of entry ,are all important factors on removal techniques. Good luck to all and be super careful around these modern ultra sharp hooks!!!

Hey bud i have had a similar year. I have sucked at fishing, most of the year i could not buy a bite. It is my first year running a boat and my god everything that could go wrong did. The boots on my lower unit went to heck so i had the lower unit overhauled while we were at it. Brought it home and it sat in the driveway for two weeks and the exhaust bellow magically split in half, so back it went, picked it up and it sat for four days and you guessed it, the boot was split in half again. Back it went and turns out there was a recall on some mercury boots. My luck and allot of time and money. So i thought i would tune her up and i had the guy at my local part store look the plugs up, i put them in and it ran ok for a little while and then started running like crap. So fed up with everything i took it to my dad and turns out two of the plugs were melted off and they were the wrong ones. So my dad got the old 4.3 running great and i went out with the boat, out of the oak and the fuel pump decides to die. Luckily we made it in. New fuel pump and carburater rebuild kit we were ready to roll. But so was the lake every time we went out and i barfed my brains out every single time we went out. But i just kept fishing. Finally on a Saturday the end of June it was calm and the boat was running great and a rod actually went off and as i was running to set the hook and i smashed my ankle on the side of the boat and i lost the fish and proceeded to smash the rod in half over the back of the boat. Allot of good that did. Two days later i had to go to the ER for it. Sprained ankle two torn tendons and a massive hematoma. Well then along came the fall LOC and more puking we were off of Olcott and the same thing happened to my boat, i lost forward and reverse and got towed in by the Olcott fire dept and those guys are awesome and talented. Turns out it was a coupler and a ton more money. But finally last weekend everything went good, landed a few fish, lost a big guy but the boat ran good. And i am looking forward to next weekend. I think this salmon fishing ties in into my dads old saying when he was driving a race car [if you actually drove her back on the trailer you did win] LOL. Hang in there buddy i feel your pain and agony i wish you nothing but the best and yes my wife just said she wishes i was as smart as you lol.

I had one buried deep a couple years ago fishing out of Oswego.Slipped on the slime left by a lamprey I took off a king.On my way down to the deck I grabbed onto a rod with an a-tom-mik fly on it.Every time I moved the hook,my pinky would move.It was really deep in the side of my hand.I actually let I guy at the dock,that I didn't know,do the press on the shank and yank method.Hurt like a bastard for a few minutes but worked like a charm.Not sure where the hook ended up.Thing went flying into the water.Went back out on the water and had a decent day fishing.Beat spending the day at the ER.Thinking back though,I think the ER would have been a better choice.To this day I've got a dead area on the side of my hand.Definitely did some nerve damage.

a big walleye got me in july. for a while, i was attached to the walleye via the hook as it thrashed on the ground. not fun in the middle of the night all alone. i now always fish barbless, carry strong wire cutters and use long pliers to unhook fish. i cant imagine pulling a barbed hook out without a nerve block

iNNUS.jpg

iNSU9.jpg

Ya never go to the hospital on a sunny blow off day on "Red Dock" because of a Owner 2/0 hook in the finger, ya just start drinkin!! :beer: Dr Sullivan (Goin Again) administered the anesthesia (rum) on top of quite a few beers which were needed to decide to let Jed (time off) to convince me he had done this before. This , apparently was entertaining to everyone except me ;(

IMG00301.jpg

video

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/p ... 0044-1.flv

BTW, Gray (Seasquirrel) was the camera man.

Hopefully next year is better, I too had a bad year....not as bad as some. It was about a 50 50 chance I made it back to the dock on my own power. Several times never even left the dock. I only caught 2 fish out on the lake. I think only 1 time i didnt get sea sick...found out after about 4 trips that i cant tie knots out on the water that i get sick, so i have to rig up before putting the boat in and I am probobally fine. Maybe fishing from shore will bring me alittle better luck.

Kooter thats the funniest post I have read in a long time, either laugh when its over or become bitter right?

I to had a troubled year but am in great shape now, and if it were not due to having a Kicker motor would have been stranded 2x myself.

Its keeps you on the right side of crazy when you laugh when its over....

PK

Its keeps you on the right side of crazy when you laugh when its over....

PK

Man ain't that the truth. Lake was very good fishing wise for me this year, but I had the scare of a lifetime and learned the hard way to respect that lake. I had two brothers with me fishing the bar over labor day weekend when steady 3-4's went to immediate 6-8's straight from the West and we had to run 7 miles due south. I won't lie an tell you that at one point I was truley panicing when I took a breaking wave through the star windows on my 24' hardtop Thompson. We made it past the fort just in the nick of time, and as we were docking, scanner picked up a distress call from a 28' walkaround that we were 1/8th mile from when we pulled lines. We were just plain stupid being out there playing dodge em' with the radar unit and an approaching cold front. When the seriousness of the situation hit me on the ride back to camp at Olcott, I was just about as stressed as when I was on the water. I called it a year after that weekend. Time to start my stream fishing.