Cayuga 9/15

MarkNY

launched at deans cove with the intention of finding some browns or rainbows on bait. found lots of bait but didnt find any "other" trout. hooked 5 lakers and 2 nice smallmouth. most of the action was in the 70-80' range, didnt mark much out deep. found one of the biggest schools of suspended smallmouth ive ever seen. ill post a screen image of that. best, mark

dYOr0.jpg

After reading this post I thought that I'd share these pics with you. These bass were caught trolling for trout around Aurora/Long Point in September a few years back. They migrate out from the shore line and are suspended usually over 60'-100' bottom. No dinks and they hit spoons & flies.

This weekend could be a bonus for your cooler.

9/22

5DYMS.jpg

I kept going through the same area and picked up this nice batch.

9/29

5E2M9.jpg

Hi, MARK...question...How can you tell these marks are bass and not , say, rainbows ?

I have caught bass at 50-80 feet and know they can be there. Good luck out there. Dave D.

hi dave, well i was after rainbows yesterday so i sure wish i found a school of 50 rainbows! i was trolling and made two passes through that area where that screen image came from and hooked smallmouth on each pass. so that was a good indicator that they were suspended smallmouth. ive been catching deep suspended smallmouth(deepest was 68') for a few weeks now too and not just on cayuga so i think that helps put two and two together after looking at the screen alot. that image was just a glimpse of what i marked yesterday. best, mark

sdcX0.jpg

I would be curious as to what your down temp is there? I wonder if you've found a warm current of water? I would not dismiss this area and check it out from time to time. Some of my best fishing is on Temp breaks.

Mower

If you want bows this time of year you need to find the bait out deep 300+, look for the bait pods in the 40 to 60 fow range. Your bows will be in a small part of the water colum. If you are fishing in the 70 to 80 fow range your down temps will be to warm for the bows and salmon. You will catch some dink bows and salmon in that water but not the good ones. Some days on cayuga the warm water will stack up all the way out to 180. Once you get out over the deep water the t cline gets higher as does the bait and fish. Nice job on the fish and good luck finding the Bows :yes:

The traditional wisdom for Lakers,Browns,Bows, and LLs is as follows:

species ________peak temp _____active temp

browns -------------54-62 ------------47-65

bows----------------42-56 ------------42-61

lls ------------------48-54 ------------45-58

lakers---------------44-48 ------------42-48

To catch browns you have to fish for them specifically and fall is not a great time to try and figure them out. Browns, LLs, and Lakers all spawn in the fall and can get touchy about feeding steadily during the day. Bows are spring spawners and less likely to be real moody this time of year, but they are a relatively small percentage of the total fish population on Cayuga, they are highly mobile fish that travel in widely scattered pods.The best fishing on the FLX is from X-Mas to March ;)

If you want bows this time of year you need to find the bait out deep 300+, look for the bait pods in the 40 to 60 fow range. Your bows will be in a small part of the water colum. If you are fishing in the 70 to 80 fow range your down temps will be to warm for the bows and salmon. You will catch some dink bows and salmon in that water but not the good ones. Some days on cayuga the warm water will stack up all the way out to 180. Once you get out over the deep water the t cline gets higher as does the bait and fish. Nice job on the fish and good luck finding the Bows :yes:

sean, i appreciate the tips. im gonna take your advice and give it a shot. ill post any success. thanks again, mark

ps. do you think they will start moving towards the northern part of the deepwater basin soon? its filthy with bait up here right now.

Like I said above, when your after browns that's all you are after. When your after lakers and other silvers and all you catch is lakers, you probably need to speed up the boat and work on covering more of the water column above the lakers w/ some color.