300' Off Down Rigger

Out west here, are Land Locked Kings are down deep. there 250' to 300' holding in 450' of flow. I have hooked up a few but can't hang on to them from those depths. Friend of mine said run a steel line or copper line down off the riggers. Has anyone tried this move to get down to these depths and land fish ? He was just making a suggestion and has never tried this himself.

Pete

300' she sits at 49.7 degrees by Fish Hawk, no big fish are being taken, through out the summer or early fall.

There is a current, it's a river that has been damed, but the river will not stop flowing south. :) Most of my fish are hooked up going with the current not against it. But never this deep.

Pete our land locked Kings are not as big as you guys on the big lakes have. But the hunt is the same in fresh water, no matter what the size of the fish.

No one here really targets the Land locked, the other problem is most guys don't have enough cable on there down riggers to get them. I run 500' cable on my riggers. But this picture finally told me why I have not been able to get them myself. I have been fishing to shallow, only been in the 180' to 200'

Power pro 250 lb instead of cable. Power pro braid on the rods....both in the name of less drag. 20 lb shark downrigger weight or I know somewhere guys from salmon university fishing deep in the ocean claim to be using 16 Lb pancakes to run two downriggers super deep. Your speed looks good at that depth. You don't need to hit them on the head, only have enough flash in the water to make them come up to you.....so big 11" flashers with double glow. Keep going over them....when they become active, you will see little streaks upward towards your bait. Looks like bait at 250'? with fish on the bottom at 290' so you probably need to be at least 270' down......now that IS DEEP!! If you find a source for super heavy pancake weights let me know....all I can find are #14 lbers. Have you tried deep saltwater jigging tactics over that structure?

Power pro downrigger cable $50 x 4 riggers (got it)

power pro on rods $20 x 4 rods (going shopping tomorrow)

Shark weights $100 each (going to try my #13 A Tom Mik torpedoes)

12" glow flashers $15 ea (got that too)

Tha look on Stans face when I bring a couple of those fish to his weigh in this weekend........

PRICELESS :rofl::yes::beer:

GIll-T

Braid it was, the problem is you have so much blow back in your line at 300', that is a lot of slack to get out when the fish hits. That is why I was wondering about the steel or copper line.I have no problem getting down to them, it's the getting a good hook set at that depth.

PM Reddog on spoonpullers.com, he experimented this year with wire off riggers with a rubberband release to combat our fleas which build up on mono bad for a few weeks every summer. I am a little leary of wire and releases, and I think Randy (reddog) had some issues with the wire breaking. I would use an aftco roller release off the swivel going to your downrigger ball. Your terminal tackle would be wire to a plastic bead to a swivel to an eight foot leader of mono to your flasher. Play out your leader, snap the wire into the release and draw the rod down tight so the bead contacts the release, then send her down. You could also try a small mono loop off the swivel connecting the leader to the wire. Place the mono loop into a black's type release with the release REALLY tight for that depth.

Make sure your battery don't die bringing up your ball from 300' LOL

Handcranking he would have arms like Popeye!!! :lol: I hate when I have to go to 150' let alone 300' . Greatlakes Angler had an article about superdeep kings. You might try to look that up. Goodluck

• 2 weeks later...

We let out one rod with 600' cooper and sent it down 180' off the down rigger, using Off shore release.The second rod was with 400' copper down at 200' off the ball with Off Shore release. The Off Shore releases would not hold the copper, at that depth for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Replaced the Off Shore with Cannon uni-line release and sent them back down and they held.

One thing I would not do, is try and make a turn with the two lines out that deep off the two down riggers