Canandaigua South End 9/18

Hit the white rock at dawn with green dot spin dr and pro troll flasher on the wire divers at 210' and 180', spoons on the riggers and 7 color leadcore with a spoon down the chute. Jim brought the leadcore rig with a black and orange spoon attached so I ran as it came. First hit comes on the leadcore, quick hit and gone. 5 minutes later bang leadcore again, I grab the rod pull back and nothing, as in nothing but backer. Too bad because that was a hot spoon, and it was all too evident that the knot from the backing to the leadcore failed. Hey Jim what is the name of that spoon? I want one.

I ran my 3 color briefly with Rapala GFR but it was really out of temp. So out went the 300' copper with a green revelator and green hammer fly. Wires were quiet with the glows, so I switched to the Italian and a chicken wing on the wire diver out 220'. The Italian went soon after that switch so out came the 11' Italian and green hammer fly on the rigger at 60' too.

Those were both good rigs today although we did drop a few fish. Green Spin Dr on a rigger at 55' took a shot too but I dropped that one. We worked all the way to Seneca Point from Cook's Point picking up a nice rainbow along the way on the copper. Kurt and Jim both brought fish to the boat during a double on wire and copper, and Kurt took some good pictures. We ended up with 4 lake trout and one rainbow. As we reeled up for the day, most of the rods were in as Kurt reeled in the port diver rod he hooked the rigger rod resting in the holder of the rigger. Out she popped into the water when I see Kurt jump in the lake to grab the rod as he's holding the diver rod. Man overboard, all I can see is Kurt wrestling the rods, his hat and sunglasses and the rods looking like there all slipping away from his grasp. Now all I can see is the yellow of the Twili Tip, still wondering what happened, Kurt hollers hurry! Jim turns the boat quickly as I retrieved a life jacket to throw, as we circled back I tossed the jacket to Kurt as Jim threw it into neutral.

Now Kurt is at the swim platform as he hands me the Twili Tip, I'm thinking the rod is broken and the reel is freespooling to 164 FOW. Luckily the wire rod and reel were intact and Kurt was safely on board as I reeled in the dipsy and flasher fly. It was quite a feat to attempt to rescue the flying rod and reel, jumping off the back of the boat all the while holding a 9'6" Daiwa Heartland rod with a Daiwa SG47LC. We would have posted some pics but Kurt's phone was in his pocket, if it drys out and still works maybe we will see some pics, we sure had a good laugh when it was all said and done.

Well the Rookie definetly summed up that trip for me and some good lessons learned that's for sure. It made for quite a adventure and we boated some great fish and the good news is after a couple of days in a bag of rice the $500 phone is working I left in it for one more day for good measure so hopefully we will have some pics tomorrow! And the water was quite refreshing especially with pants, 3 shirts, and hiking shoes on! :D

Wow,

Thats a tuff one to top! I think I would have been missing a rod and reel don't know if I could react that quick...sounds to me like you should start bringing a video camera Mike :D . We swim in the ocean in Myrtle Beach in April when the water is 60*...well I should say the kids swim in the ocean...Canandaigua cant be much warmer than that . Nice save Kurt! Great job with the fish also.

Tom

I am sure Kurt doesn't want this brought up again, but we did lose one rod and reel set up. However he did manage to hang on to the more expensive set up which is the wire rod and reel. I did get some pics from Saturday which show the crew with the hot flashers.

100_1223.jpg

100_1220.jpg

• 2 weeks later...