Carp Fishing 9/19 and 9/20

Deaf Fisherman

I was able to go out for few minutes to fishing.

on sunday, i was fishing for two hours and losing five huge carps. Andrew and I seem like cant hook up after several seconds after fighting. I wonder whats went wrong with it. I using smaller hooks while Andrew using little bigger hook than mine. we are using corns and we did throwing corns after big hits.. they kept coming back and unhook again after fighting. :@:@:@

On monday, i only can fish for half hour. and got 0-2. same problem with unhook while fighting. :@ again!!

Any advice how to ensure to stay hooked on carp while fighting? just wonder, i never had this problem after fishing whole of my life. after through many hit and miss, i know how it works now, but this one stuck me for long time.

how i did fighting on carp. i always pull the rod once then let it play. I always let low drag on and using hand to slow down carp escaping speed away from me once they knew they are hooked. several second after fish give up and I begin to reel it and it comes unhooked.

so any idea what i did wrong with this one?

Hi DF.

It happens, we call them pull outs, and there is not much you can do about them. What happens is the fish picks up the bait and just swims away with it with his mouth closed, as soon as there is any pressure he turns and opens his mouth and drops the bait, one day this past summer I was have a full day of this, I must of had 10 pull outs, I tried shorting the Hair rig, used heavy lead, every thing i tried didn't stop it, after the day was over i met up with friends that were down from England,they were fishing a different Part of the river, and they were experiencing the same thing.

Are you using a Hair rig for your corn or are you putting the corn on your hook?

I don't have a lot of experience carp fishing but I really have not had that problem yet. Probably cause I don't fish very often for them. :( I setup up my rigs with a 1/2 oz to 1 oz lead sinker. I tie a 4 to 6ft leader with a sharp octupus hook with corn or a homemade jello corn ball on it. I throw it out and leave the bell open. Next, I throw more corn out and wait. I let the carp set the hook. Usually the carp picks up the hook and continues to feed but as soon as they feel something they jet off with hook and the lead weight then sets the hook. ;) As soon as I see the fish running I close the bell with a light drag and wait for the carp to stop. When they stop I slowly fight them back in. ;) If anything I get more break offs trying to get them out of the weeds cause they barry the selves. Hope this helps but again I don't fish very often for them and I am by no means an expert on carp fishin. Good luck!

JwShi.jpg

Jxqci.jpg

JxHFi.jpg

Big-o - Thank for advice! Yeah, i'm glad i am not only one who have this similar problems. looks like i have to wait few minutes after let them bit the hooks. until they figured out that they sucked hooks into their mouth then i can set hook up. but i'll able to go out again this weekend. so i'll put up report if i got success or not.

rshubuck - thanks for help! i'll look into your advice that you comment. hopefully it will work well for me! also, can you give me info how to make one of those (homemade jello corn ball) you made for carp fishing? those looks like something that carp will attacks. maybe it worked better than corn. but in some point, i have try something else..

ohh, you using treble hook for carp fishing? i wonder if that would help my success more better. i'll try them out sometime this weekend.

Octopus hooks are a single hook. Google them. I love them. Here is a video on youtube for a recipe. I think this is the one we used but we subed the the strawberry pellets for strawberry jello. I got it online some where!

I don't think we boiled them. I think we put ours in the frig for and hour or so and let the jello set. My wife was the master chef :rofl: I believe these balls work good on catfish as well.

Here is a picture of a hair set up That i use, The hook is a #4 Drennan continental Boilie hook I like to use 3 pieces of Hydrated Field corn, I also add a piece of round Dense foam to keep the corn up of the bottom(Popped Up)

bassfishing050.jpg

going back the hook link I have a lead Carrier,this is made so if the lead gets hung up the lead will come off and you don't break your line. You tie a # 8 swivel to your main line slide on the lead keeper, and the rubber holder to your hook link then tie the hook link to your swivel the swivel will slide into your lead keeper, attach the lead and pull up the rubber stopper as pictured below

bassfishing.jpg

Once its all pulled together, you add a split shot at the distance you want the hook to be popped up, Short on hard bottom , longer on soft bottom(Green Line represents the river bottom)

bassfishing007-1.jpg

Close up.... this leaves the hook sitting in better position than laying flat on the bottom

bassfishing008-1.jpg

When Carp are feeding they will suck up the corn and keep swimming, once they feel the weight they will automatically turn and bolt away, setting the hook in the bottom right or left corner of its mouth.

Other baits that can be used is Method feeder,you have the method feeder in place of the lead keeper and still use the corn on a hook link... I take Stale bread put it threw the blender,(not to fine) when i get to the river I put the stale bread crumbs in a container, add some corm Powder molasses. i add just enough water to make the crumbs sticky, them form it around a method feeder, the size of the ball is up to you , I make the ball a little bigger than a tennis Ball and pack it tight. once the ball gets to the water it breaks down leaving bait pile and your hair rig is right in the middle of the bait pile.

bassfishing009-1.jpg

Method feeder,This one has a fairly heavy weight for long distance casting

bassfishing004-1.jpg

This one has a smaller weight

bassfishing005-1.jpg

Remember when casting with a Method ball to be gentle ,as not have the ball break apart, some experimenting mat be required to get the right consistency. This is by far one of the best method for fishing Carp. Once you bring in the line to re bait, try to cast back as close as possible to your original cast, this will keep the bait more concentrated and up your odds of a hook up.

If you cant find a method feeder you can try packing the bread crumbs around your weight, If your are going to this i would suggest a Flat type weight.

bassfishing006-2.jpg

The Weight on the Left I make and is used for deep water with little to light current(2.5 ounces),the one on the right is 3 ounces and is used for heavy current, its hollow in the center so the current drags it along and it digs in the bottom and will hold, the other lead i use is the bullet style, as in picture # 3 this i use for long distance casting with no current.

I hope this make sense to you,Please if you have any Questions Please Ask. I'm more than happy to help out

Thanks for looking

Phil

Talked to my wife! It turns out she did boil them! :o

Big O I like that setup. Thanks for sharing and putting in so much detail in it. :clap: I'm going to have to give it a try some time. I don't do the hairrigs. I mold the cornballs into the hook leaving the eye and hook point exposed but I like trying new things.

One of the neat things about Carp fishing ..is that all store bought baits are eatable by humans... so I use a variety of things in my bread crumbs, I said powder molasses I also use Packets of Cool-aid for color and sweetness ,Brown sugar, Garlic ail, Fish food , dog food pellets(if they sink) I also use what they call booster,my all time favorite is Pineapple, Carp Love Pineapple You can find these Concentrated bottles of Pineapple at grocery stores in the baking section, Or bulk food store.

Here is a Picture of a Banana Flavor that I use to add to my bread crumbs instead of water.

bassfishing004-2.jpg

There also ones made for Carp that you can buy online from Wacker Bait and tackle in the U.S.

This one is my favorites .... Sweet pineapple

bassfishing002-2.jpg

This one is Concentrated Corn

bassfishing003-2.jpg

Booster adds two things to your bait, the sweetness that Carp seem to like and a Scent trail,Carp have a very keen sense of smell this scent will attract Carp from a fair distance Further if there is a current.

Another Store bought bait is Giant Corn In various flavors

bassfishing005-2.jpg

bassfishing001-2.jpg

bassfishing008-2.jpg

You use the giant Corn on your hook link, don't bait with it... unless you're a Power ball winner :lol: ,Of course the reason for Giant Corn is that its very visible in your Bait Pile.

Boilies

I don't use Boilies that much as they tend to get expensive but they do work. you hook them on to your hair rig the same way you would the corn.

bassfishing010-1.jpg

bassfishing-1.jpg

Then you take a bag of Boilies and using a Sling Shot(the Brits call it a catapult) you fire the boilies out to the area you want to fish, make sure you try to keep the pattern fairly tight, then you cast out your line in the area you just baited,you can also dip the boilies in the booster for the added flavour and sent trail.Baiting boilies come in bags of various sizes and again flavors.

bassfishing007-2.jpg

Other methods of baiting is the use of PVA Bags, what theses PVA bags are is a Mesh sock that dissolves a few minutes after hitting the water, leaving your bait and hook link in a concentrated pile. the PVA Sock is open at both ends and comes stretched over a plastic tube, you tie off one end.

bassfishing011-1.jpg

put you Bait in the mouth of the tube,your bait MUST BE DRY... or it will dissolve the PVA mesh

bassfishing012-1.jpg

bassfishing013-1.jpg

bassfishing014-1.jpg

bassfishing018-1.jpg

Once the bait is at the end and in the mesh you cut it off and tie the other end... so now you have a Mesh sausage

bassfishing019-1.jpg

bassfishing020-1.jpg

Now all you have to do is put the hook into the mesh at the knot and cast it to your desired spot, the mesh will dissolve and again your hook link is right at the bait Pile.

bassfishing021-1.jpg

I used Sinking Fish pellets, I also throw a few boilies in the blender and chop them up.. this method save you putting a lot of boilies in the water, and it will add color to your bait pile....AGAIN IS IMPORTANT NOT TO GET THE PVA WET, I make up 10 or 12 bags before going fishing and keep them in a water tight container.

bassfishing022-1.jpg

bassfishing023-1.jpg

You can see the PVA melted in the top two bags, I forgot to put the lid back on the container, and the water of the line got on to them when i was casting

bassfishing024-1.jpg

My Container

bassfishing025-1.jpg

The PVA tube also comes in a Water tight container

bassfishing026-1.jpg

Hopefully the above information will lead into catches like this

Markus

100_0855.jpg

Rob (RJ)

100_0856.jpg

My self

philfish3-1.jpg

Drew(Moosebunk)

carpfishing019-1.jpg

Tim from England 51.4 pounds

Tims514.jpg

Ron From England

Carpfishingjune62010TimRonDave052.jpg

Dave From England

Carpfishingjune62010TimRonDave060.jpg

Brad

Carpfishingjune62010TimRonDave118.jpg

RJ again

Carpfishingjune62010TimRonDave120.jpg

Bill(MT Livewell)

Carpfishingjune62010TimRonDave096.jpg

Brad Again

carpfishing077.jpg

RJ

rj2810jun12.jpg

a few of mine

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

100_0525.jpg

100_0501.jpg

CARPJUNE1408011.jpg

CARPJUNE1408007.jpg

Thanks for looking

Phil

The PVA Tube also comes in a water tight container

Ouch! thats awesome pictures of them all! 51lbs beast looks so huge! i wonder if i could catch same range as your fish! Haha i dont think it will be happen for while until i learned where they like to live at. or which spot is holding many of them. Since i'm from Rochester. none of that fish is grow that big. im sure it will take some time to figured it out.

thank for your help on chum baits and baits too!

Gambler is right, these fish are all over. All the fish pictured above were caught in the St. Lawrence River... Lake Ontario has some monsters in it. One of the best ways to find Carp holding spots is in the Spring when the Spawn is on.. you will see them in Shallow Bays rolling and jumping, no use trying to catch them when the Spawn is on... they have other things on there minds :inlove: but If you can find a place near those Shallow bays with water around 20 o 30 feet deep, a slight current , you can be asured that they will be there.

Phil

:o:o:o:o You are the man! Thanks again for sharing. That's a lot of info! The 5th pic up, I really like. That fish looks pretty unique. Is that around here?

That picture is of a Mirror Carp, they are rare to catch, that one was a little over 25 pounds and is My Personal best, I've been lucky to have caught 3 since I started to fish Carp (5 years) I caught 2 in on day and 4 years later i got the big one.

I'll post other bits of equipment later on... such as Bite Alarms, Bank Sticks, Rod Pods, Rod and reels, Spod rods ,Marker rods and darts ....etc.

Gambler - thank for much info! i'll try to catch them if i could find them. but i have one in my sight now. however, that one carp is definitely above 30pounds but uncertain for now. since i knew fish look bigger in water while get fish out of water is smaller. so i think it might be grass carp, not common carp. Hardly to tell from 15-20 feet away from me. even though water max is less 2-3 feet deep. hopefully i can catch that one at this weekend!

Hey DF

Ask the locals if they have seen any Carp jumping, in the spring or summer, Most people couldn't care less about Carp, so they give up info really easy, I talk to Joggers, campers, Store owners around the areas i'm looking to fish.

If you ever want to come over here for a weekend and try it, let me know i have all the equipment for you and a buddie..or two... or three ;) .. all you would need is a rain suit(just incase)