Lake Ontario-Fishing after the salmon run???

guys, what opportunities are there on the big lake after the salmon are done? are there near shore(within 3-4 miles) trolling opportunities for other species such as steelhead and browns? thanks, mark

Yes there is. Browns will come in along the shoreline as the water cools. River / stream mouths usually attract more because they will be running in late October or early November. Boards with sticks and spoons like the spring work well.

thanks guys, ill give it a try this year. was thinking it would be nice out there without the crowds. as you say FA, if the winds ever calm down ;) target water from the creek/river mouths out to 30-40' or is it shoreline only deal? best, mark

Please keep in mind that in late Oct into Nov. The winds and weather can get brutal. To top it off there is very little to no help out there. Your pretty much on your own. Make sure the boat is mechanically sound and keep a close eye on the weather. In my experience the fishing can get hot into Nov.

Stay safe.

Glen

When the salmon run on the east end I fish exclusively for pike till about early december... Trolling, Big Baits off of boards and riggers. The fishing is nothing short of awesome.

you need to wait until either wind/temps get some high 50F water into the shallow (less than 20 feet) if that situation can remain stable for a week or so then its game on. Good Luck and send me a pm if you make it out this way to try it.

thanks guys! spoonfed, im with you when it comes to safety. i just need to pick my days so i figure i might be able to get out maybe one day this fall with our pleasant weather/winds. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Last Sunday was our last Lake trip. Despite building seas and having a primarily King based program in, we hooked several Steelheads and Browns. Through the middle of the prior week, we were still hitting a few Salmon. Before we could change over and target trout, the lake became nasty. The trout were picking out the chrome DW and J-plugs. A spoon program in the shallows on the mudline would probably be very productive. We were in 15--25 ft of water, on the moving mudline, around Olcott harbor. Good luck, be safe.

• 2 weeks later...