Fishing Spoons On Boards?

Can you pull spoons on your boards or are you using stick baits. How deep do you want the stick to run. Are weights required?. HAving just started with boards, next question is how do I stop the board from poppingtowards the boat. Am I going to fast, 2.5 mph on GPS. Do Flies work better off a board if so is there a better way to rig.

Any info or experience sharing is greatly appreciated.

You can run anything you want of the boards as long as you get down to the fish.Run the first line out 100ft. clean second line out 100ft with one or two 3/8oz shots, third rod same with 3or 4 shots. keep your out side lines higher than the inside lines. If the fish are to deep you can run dipsies off them to widen your spread. don't forget leadcore if you use it. What kind of boards are you running? Have a good season.

I will second what w.w.iv. said. We run everthing off the boards, it just depends on your target depth.

I love running the lead cores off the boards. If you do not run them you should start :!:

THanxs for the info guys.

Currently trying small inline boards 4" x 14" long. They seem to pop across the top of the water. Going to purchase larger double boards and a Pole and reel system for the Toy. Definitely looking to increase the odds for fish.

If I wanted to make my own pole and reel, what kind of line do you have on the reels? Wire,?or rope?. IS it worth buying versus making

Guest chum bucket

I use 100lb. mono to the board. It might be overkill, but I won't lose a board and the releases slide easily.

if your useing inlines and there popping to the boat your lines are to short and or your rod tips are too high, the added action to the lure as the board skips probly ant a bad thing i always run a long lead on my mini board but i might try a short lead next trip when the surface temp drops(so.blow for us over here) or the propwash spoon fires the planer kinda acts like a attractor .. hmmmm

We run the small offshore boards 4x14" as well. We run the lead core off them and they seem to run just fine. The more colors you run, they do not track as far off the boat. I also have the otter boards in the boat but we do not run them. I have a higher loss rate with the otters than with the smaller offshore boards. This may have been just a few bad weekends but that's fishing. The smaller boards are much easier to bring in and out when boat traffic is, lets same competitive.:devil:

Sean

Thanxs again guys

As I have just started fishing the Big O, ( 2 years) what do you mean by leadcore. Is that a type of line or a lead weight attached to the line. If I am going to learn this technique I might as well do it right the first time.

Your help is greatly appreciated as the charters over here dont like to share. When the salmon derby starts July 7 they have their own code on the VHF. Sounds like gibberish

Dear ExtraTrimmer, The "gibberish" you hear on the VHF is probably a scrambler transmission. Don't let that bother you. You have all our fish on the "North side" during the summer months. Learn your bottom structure and wind effects on current & temperature. and you will be successfull. I spent several years fishing from Port Credit to east of Darlington. Shoot me some questions and I will try to answer them. ....Lead core is a braided line with a lead core. Comes in two ??b. test sizes and is EXPENSIVE. Tying terminal knots is an art. Also very hairy to run around boat packs!(If crossed by another guy with downriggers!) Small Dipseys off a planer board will do a better job, since you will be fishing the top 60' of water due to temps being much colder on your side up high in the water column. Good Luck Eh!....Jet Boat Bill