Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grady95

Honeoye Lake Toxin Report

Recommended Posts

A few weeks ago, there was quite a buzz about the poisonous effect of blue green algae in the lake and how there were numerous warnings from DEC and the Health Dept regarding water quality, fishing, and public safety.

Since that flurry of information, this topic has gone dark. No one is discussing it, but a lot of us use that lake. I certainly do and I am concerned.

I have no information to share with you. Does anyone have any idea what the current status of Honeoye Lake is, especially as it relates to catching and eating fish? Does anyone know if that toxin will still be dissolved in the water in the winter making the lake a health concern for icefishermen?

Could use some good info here if anyone has it.

Thanks,

Grady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish Consumption Concerns

Can I eat fish from water containing blue-green algae?

Some blue-green algal toxins have been shown to accumulate in the tissues of fish and shellfish, particularly in the viscera (liver, kidney, etc.). Whether or not the accumulation levels are sufficient to pose a risk to humans is uncertain, although it would depend in part on the levels of consumption and on the severity of the blue-green algae blooms where the fish or shellfish were caught or collected.

The World Health Organization advises that people who choose to eat fish taken from water where a blue-green algae bloom is present eat such fish in moderation and avoid eating the guts of the fish, where accumulation of toxins may be greatest. Also, take care to not cut into organs when filleting the fish and rinse the fillets with clean water to remove any liquids from the guts or organs before freezing or cooking.

Grady,

Did a little searching after I read your post and concern, this is just a general article that I came up with but sounds like it would be worth calling the DEC and asking if there is alarm for fish consumption this winter...I would assume if they were worried about it they might put out some kind of Health alert but you know what they say about assuming.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys

Owasco Lake recently had an occurrence of the worst green algae that I have ever seen in 30+ years of fishing. I contacted Region 7 DEC and the water quality people said that it was an algae bloom. I told them in quite graphic detail that I thought that they should get someone out there to test it. The county soil and water people are in the process of doing so but I will say that I felt that the DEC water people were just blowing smoke up my dress and I let them know it in no unceratin terms. I have watched Owasco Lake degrade over the last ten years from a great fishery into a shadow of what it once was. Over that time I listened to people say that it was the walleye that was causing the decline in the trout population when all along it was a water quality issue. Phosphorus from municipal waste treatment plants and I am certain agricultural runoff. I have included some pics for you take a look at. Will let you know what the county people say.

Dion

gSSR0.jpg

gS_kr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll soon see whether there is a residual effect from this summer's blooms. This is the time that most folks pull their docks out on Honeoye Lake. If we see a bunch of people getting sick from being in the water, that should telling at least. My buddy was told last week that as long as he did not actually eat the organs in the fish that they were safe to eat

I guess my position right now is that the authorities are not trying to be deceptive intentionally, but rather that they just really don't know for certain what the answers to these questions are. I don't know anyone personally at the Health Department, but I do know several DEC guys, and they are honest, sincere and concerned people who really do care. I'd hate to be in their boots right now.

I would just like to know if I can safely eat these fish. The fishing this time of year is great in Honeoye and I traditionally load the freezer up for the winter now.

Grady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following are the findings in Owasco Lake. I spoke to the county water quality people and they sent their samples to NYS Dept of Health. THe health dept made the announcement. In addition there will be an announcement forecoming that there is another invasive species in the lake that has contributed to the outbreak. Look up Lake George and Lake Tahoe invasive species and see what caused the blue-green algae outbreak there. For the past 10 years those of us that have fished this body of water have suspected that water quality has been compromised leading to a decline in the fishery. Recently there has been an admission that there are high phospate levels in Owasco Lake. Is this the reason for the decline? What has caused the increased high phospate levels? Between shoreline development, municipal waste water discharges and agricultural runoff, there is more than enough blame to go around.

I do not want to point a finger at anyone. I just want to fix the problem.

It is my hope that other Finger Lakes address this issue before they suffer the same fate as Owasco Lake's has.

PS. The NYS DEC was had nothing to say on the issue.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/P ... gqD2g.cspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure there's anyone left at DEC to comment, after our great leader's latest budget cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...