Simrad AP12R Install

rusty1034

Howdy All,

I bought the auto pilot I've been wanting for quite a while. The salesman I talked to on the phone said "It's easy to install". Looking at the directions, I discovered that he was in fact a true salesman. Doesn't look easy to me at all.

Do any of you folks know someone who has installed one before, and could install this one in my 196 Starcraft Fishmaster ?

Thanks for the help

Rusty

Rusty: They really arnt that hard to install just intimidating when you open the box. Have any problems or questions pm me or give a call. I've installed a few here at the shop and they seem to be a good unit compered to the old sport pilot.

Hank,

Thanks for the info. My main question is regarding the placement of the compass unit. The instructions state that if the boat is metal, it must be mounted on a pole 3'-7' above the deck. The boat I'm putting it on is aluminum, which is metal. Does that mean I need to mount it on a pole ?

Also from scanning the instructions, I think I'm gonna have to put in a different steering cable. I hope that i$ not a$ much of a job a$ I think it$ gonna be.

Thanks again hank- Rusty

Rusty: By metal they are referring to a steel hulled boat. You can mount the compass in the normal position that is recommended for a standard glass hull.

Not sure if you have rack & pinion steering or rotary. If it' rack style you will have to replace the cable with a teleflex style rotary cable.

Hope this helps:

Tom B,

Thanks for the vote. After a fitful morning I finally found someone who gave me the info I needed. Seems the install instructions give a replacement cable part number that has been discontinued (moorse). I think I have the right cable en-route.

Please tell me this adventure is worth the trouble, and that the AP will do the steering while I reel in fish, and change lures, etc !

Thanks again, and I hope U stop getting zapped.

Rusty

• 1 year later...

I too just ordered a new Simrad AP12R for my 22 foot starcraft holiday, mainly because of the great reviews I've seen about it on this site. I have a teleflex nfb rack steering system so I know I need to replace the cable. Not sure about the bezel kit. It sounds like it comes with one? The biggest problem is that I can't find the cable that they say I need anywhere. Is the 304411 cable obsolete and if so does anyone know what I need for a cable and or adapter to fit the AP12R. Seems like the CMD 290 that they designed this thing for doesn't exist anymore. Their customer service was not very helpful when I called.

Teleflex QC II style replacement cable for rotary helm is what you'll need. As far as adapter & Morris style bezel kit it SHOULD come with the unit. Keep your fingers crossed.

For as good of a unit as they are. Without going into detail. There customer service is about the worst I've seen over all the years in this business. :(

I was curious as to where you bought your Simrad lately. Everyone I called to order one said that none were going to be available until Mid July. I wanted the AP14r model.

No one would tell me why they weren't available but everyone said they would receive some on the same day in July. Right! Does anyone know the real story.

I hope I did this right. It is my first post.

High Bidder

I called Navico (Simrad) today and asked about the shortage of the AP14R units, I too have called around and have recieved the same answer. Well as it turns out, Navico has units in stock and doesn't haven't a clue ( not saying....) why their dealers are not stocking them on the shelves. I'm wondering if there will be a price increase come July ??? Called Hodge's right after talking to Navico and the salesman gave me the same run around answer of " we expect something around the second week of July"

Can a dealer please shed some light on this? I would like to buy local and I would like to buy right now...

It's almost like Navico has an interest in Raymarine, I have a Sport Pilot Plus that is 2 hours old for sale if anyone is interested, worked great for 2 hours, now just emits a steady tone...

John

Hank,

I called Teleflex and asked them about the 304411 cable and was told that the only cable that will work with the Simrad AP12R is an SSC52 which replaced the old 304411. Well that one is not much easier to find either. I see that the QC II is a replacement for the SSC62 and SSC72 series cables. So, you have used the QC II on the smirad and it works fine?

Thanks,

Steve

So, the AP12R came today by UPS. It looked like they played pass with it and dropped it. The box was busted open. The driver was going to make a note of it incase something was wrong with it. Looks like all the parts are there although there was no bezel kit but that wasn't listed in the contents list. The only question I have is with the compass. It sounds like there is ball in the compass unit. Should I be able to here it moving around in there, like a little rattle?

Hank,

I had some extra time last night, so I got it all installed with the exception of the wiring. The QC II cable fit right into the AP12R with no adapter needed. There was an adapter that came with cable but I didn't need it. I took a look at the bezel from my old steering system and in about 5 minutes with a flat file, I made it fit. So, now all I have to do is find a few minutes to mount the compass and wire it up. Can't wait to try it out. I'm putting on a new Nissan 115 next week. I'll be glad to get everything done and get back to fishing. My wife and I will be headed for Henderson Harbor for a week beginning on July 12th. Hope those salmon get going before then. Thanks for you help.

Steve