Penn Downriggers.

rolmops

I have always bought Penn gear for just everything in my boat and naturally this includes manual downriggers with swivel bases.

Fishing mostly by myself,I find it quite hard to go in a straight line while being away from the steering wheel in order to lower or lift the down riggers.After having seen on Pike Hunter's rig how easily electric downriggers operate I have decided that I really want the same for my boat.

Does any of you good people have experience with Penn electric riggers and how do they stack up compared to the other stuff on the market? I use 13 pound A-Tom-Mik torpedoes for weights

Any answer and advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you,Cornelis.

I do not know about Penn Electrics....however, I started using manual cannons(uni troll HP), then jumped to electric cannons (mag 10) and now I have electric scotty's (1116) and I love my scotties.

Good luck with your decision.

Ray

I do not know about Penn Electrics....however, I started using manual cannons(uni troll HP), then jumped to electric cannons (mag 10) and now I have electric scotty's (1116) and I love my scotties.

Good luck with you decision.

Ray

I followed the exact same path as Ray and love my Scotty Electrics as well.

That being said, I've never used Penn Riggers, but I know Ernie Lanteigne (Fish Doctor Charters) uses Penn electrics on his charter boat, so I'd have to guess they are probably pretty solid riggers.

Tim

They have always been solid for him. Even though he is on the Penn Pro Staff, I know he would never run anything that wold not work to his expectations. He runs up to 15# weights with the temp probe on them. They seem very strong and fast enough to me. They are faster than standard Big Jons, not as fast as some of the high speed riggers out there.

I love my Penn Fathom Master 835's!! As Miss em said they are pretty fast. Alot faster than the Cannon Mag10A's on my other boat but slower than the newer Cannon's HS units. I am not real fond of the swivelmatic bases as far as their ruggedness. I had one blow apart a few years ago and rigger and rod went into the drink. Luckily all was retreived. If I had to rig another boat I would put Penn electrics on it again....if they were available.

wIsDJ.jpg

wIMAS.jpg