A little help

Spent the last decade in the Navy and I just got home last week. Haven't caught a steely or salmon around here since I was a kid with my dad. Any advice or good places to try in the Rochester area? Not looking for your hot spots just a little help. Thanks.

Thank you for your service. There are many great fishermen in the Rochester area, and I'm sure they will find this post and help you out. From experience in years past, I'd say there is action on both piers at the mouth of the Genny, as well as upstream at the dam. Casting lures from the piers, and drifting skein below a bobber at the dam are good places to start right now. The Steelies are sneaking in all the big rivers now, and will be hot in November.

the west (charlottte) side pier is closed for construcion, but the summerville side will do just fine. 3/4 oz cleos work best, especially glow cleos at night after midnight, vary retrieves to find what they want and set real low drag until you hook one, then tighten down if needed. Bring 2 poles, and throw an eggsack on the other rod close to the bottom with a sinker. Good luck, and thanks for the service to keep us safe :yes::yes::yes::clap::yes::yes::yes:

Any of the tribs will be good from now untill good flow ends. That means all winter long also. Now the kings till mid Nov followed by browns & Steelheads( which are more fun anyway) Pierheads are good but I like the tribs. I prefer fly fishing . Egg patterns are my Fav . A 7-9wt rod 9-10 ft is good. Spin rods are also good 9-11' drift rods w/4-8 lb for trout . Egg sacks under a float till you get it down then flies or small jigs can be deadly.If you get hardcore a centerpin may be your preference. I like Oak Orchard but Irondiquoit out your way is very good also. The secret is not so much what you use but a good drift. Dont get discouraged & Good luck. Check out the trib section below.Thanks!! Glad to have you on board.