Irondequoit and Wind Turbines 10/19 Meeting

On October 19th at 7:00 pm the Irondequoit Town Board will again be discussing the wind turbine issue at their monthly meeting. I have personally spoken with members of the Board and they were very receptive to our concerns and were hopeful that they would hear from many of us at the next meeting. Please, let's try to have a good turnout for this meeting.

Never been to a meeting live, just watched them on TV. I am pretty sure Irondequoit does require you to sign up upon arrival if you wish to speak during the input session. There is no residency requirement to speak, all are welcome and encouraged to.

From what I understand, this is a done deal and the towns aren't going to have much to say about it. After reading about the Lake Erie turbines scheduled near Cleveland and how hard everyone faught them, only to have them scheduled to go in without a care towards fisherman or lake front owners concerns. If you watched any news this morning, they are now planning on turbines from the NC coast all the way up to Jersey not to far off the coast line. I'll be there, and I don't like to give up, but I have a very bad feeling that these things are going to rammed right up our :o

Rabhunt, I share your concerns.

The "official" town position on these things is only advisory and has no real affect. The decision on these damn menaces will be made at a much higher level than the town level.

I too am very worried. This same fight went on for years in Nantucket Sound and all the money spent and effort to stop them has not stopped them, yet. However, we want to be on record every step of the way opposing them so that way down the road nobody can say "when there was a public meeting in Irondequoit nobody came in opposition."

Sadly, we live in a goofy age where you are anti environment if you oppose anything that is perceived as "green." Without rehashing all the cons, these things are of limitied value at great cost.

We may ultimately lose the fight, but not without opposition and a chance to be heard.

I had the priviledge to attend the presentation by renowned energy expert John Droz Friday night in Niagara Falls. Do yourselves a favor and look at the web presentation he has on the issue. It can be found at: Energy Presentation.info Tell everyone you know about this web address. Knowledge is power, and the magnitude of the lies being spread is immense. The ramifications are much, much greater than altering our beloved Great Lakes. Manipulating the masses through fear and guilt is the approach being used.

Thanks, I will certainly check out the website.

Also, I had the chance to review the last Irondequoit Town Board meeting and ascertain where they are coming from. Supervisor D'Aurizio was armed with quite a few facts that support opposition to the towers and was clearly against them. Councilwoman Essley was also in support of the resolution opposing them. Councilpersons Aldersley and Perticone were in favor of hearing more from the public before voting on the resolution, which is why the matter was tabled until tomorrow night for public input and why we need a good turnout in opposition. It sounded as though there were people in the audience that were in favor of the windmills that need to see and hear our opposition.

Again, we are well aware that this opinion is only advisory, but it is still important to be heard and be on record with as many levels of government in opposition as possible.

I am glad to say that Irondequoit just passed it's resolution opposing the wind turbines, now mirroring previous decisions by Greece and Webster. While of limited impact, and advisory only, it is on record and makes it one more entity in opposition.

I would like to thank Mr. Begy of the charter association for being present and speaking in opposition on behalf of his association and professional fisherman. I must say, I was VERY impressed by the citizens who spoke up, knew their facts and were so passionate in opposition. There was a very nice compliment of people opposing it for numerous reasons including economic, scientific, environmental, scenic and recreation to name just a few.

Of particular interest was a person who played back part of last nights governatorial debate where Cuomo extols upstate NY for developing wind energy for the benefit of downstate!

Look at the front page of the D & C this morning! It really doesn't matter what the little town folk say, they (turbines) are coming whether we like it or not. Like the article states, the uniformed are voting yes towards this project and do not have a clue what they are voting for. If you listened to some of the supporters at the meeting the other night, they actually believe that these things are going to stop our dependancy on foriegn oil!!!!!

added d&c link l&m: http://voteup.democratandchronicle.com/ ... ve-backing

Unfortunately, I read it and it is truly scary how uninformed people are. We also cannot underestimate the number of people who rarely ever utilize Lake Ontario despite living so close and as a result blindly support the project becasue it makes them feel "green".

We are definiltely fighting an uphill battle all the way, as the downstate Democratic controlled State Govt. could care less about upstate voters, especially us tire kickin farmers in western NY (as we are perceived).

In my opinion, the best we can do to try and stop this travesty is to attack it from an environmental standpoint. Use the environmental laws to our advantage and expose the reality that digging up the lake bottom may cause significant damage to the drinking water and ecosystem. Those same laws that prevent us from building docks, dredging, etc. could be used to stall this thing until the technology flaws are exposed.

Just one persons opinion.