Henderson Area Info

This year's family vacation is going to be in the Henderson Harbor area. Apparently one of my wife's co-workers owns a cottage right on the water near Westcott SP so we will be spending a week in early August.

If anyone's got any local fishing info. they're willing to part with I'd appreciate it. Primary targets are salmon/trout but my boat's only a 17'er so off shore fishing will be very weather dependent, limited experience crew also :roll: :lol:

I see in this months issue of Great Lakes Angler the "Trench" is highlighted, how far of a run is that area off shore??

Thanks in advance. DAN

Dan,

From where you are staying the Trench is approx, 5-7 miles, depending which part you want to fish. If you are coming in early August you will most likely have to run out past the Trench about another 3-5 miles depending on the fish. the fish usually show up in the trench in the middle of August, there might be a few in there earlier, but this year evrything seems to be a few weeks late. I ahve taken kings in there as early as the last week in July, but that was 12 years ago. I will keep posting reports here when I get out. We keep our boat in Whites Bay. Let me know when you are coming up. The bass fishing is usually pretty good out in front of where you are staying. I like to fish them just before dark up on the ahoals with plastics or just let a minnow swim around without a sinker attached. Keep in touch.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Rich D - sorry it took me so long to reply - kept meaning to do it but forgetting :roll: 1 mos. old has got me spinnin' in circles.

We will be headed up on the 6th and staying through the following Sunday. Still not exactly sure where we will be staying, wife seems to be keeping me in the dark after I explained to her there's salmon fishing up there.

DAN

Dan,

Congrats on the little one, lol at the wife keeping you in the dark. Right now there are kings off the Light house but they could move back out if the bait does not stay around. I will try to keep you posted on the conditions before you get there. Make sure you have a map of the area so you know where you are going. Let me know when it gets a little closer. Good Luck with the little one, been there done that twice.

Rich

Dan,

It never gets easier, things are always changing, you have to be very versatile, and willing to try new stuff. Keep at it, it only gets better, trust me. Keep in touch.

Rich

Dan,

I have been salmon fishing for 25 years, this area is tough but once you figure it out you can catch a few. SWR produce well on riggers up here, atleast for us they outfished regular rigger rods 5 to 1 last year.

I have a feeling once the water settles the kings will have moved deeper as the water gets very warm out there. I think they will just slide closer to the basin off the back side of the wall.

Biggest thing up here is fighting the SW West winds all the time, lets hope for calm weekends.

The eastern hotspot map is pretty good, PM me your email address and I can send you some GPS coordinates if you need them.

Good luck,

Brian