Pike spots near Rochester and Big Live Bait

So my neighbor wants to do some live bait fishing for pike this weekend. We live in Webster. He's talked about Port Bay and we have the options of Irondequoit Bay, Sodus Bay, Conesus (although I've read that the docks are pulled - thanks for the updates, guys).

I haven't done much live bait fishing for pike since I was a kid, but he wants to do it. The question is where to get some big minnows. Any suggestions from you guys on a good location for some still fishing as well as some casting, and more importantly a good bait shop where we can get some proper bait?

Would like to stay within an hour of home.

Thanks.

zach and i were talking about the big bait thing last week. seems no one locally stocks the really mammoth suckers...you'd have you'd have to order enough to least you a year or get a bunch of guys to go in together on it. that said, I've heard the bait shop on clifford past culver has some with decent size at times.

I'd still do conesus. with two guys you can still work it ok without the docks. just drive it off and back onto the trailer. its a bit of a step into the boat from the end of the concrete where the dock is normally attached but thats the worst of it

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I don't know if he has suckers, but Arts Bait Shop on 15 about a mile mile/half from the intersection of 15 and 5 and 20 in Avon heading south has some good size shiners he's on the East side of the road at the go cart track entrance...call him about the suckers if you want. 585-226-9185 coming from Webster get off 390 at the Avon exit head west to 15 and head south get your bait and then keep heading south to Conesus....Good Luck!!

Tom

Thanks for the reminder, Stinky. Art's it is in the morning for some sucker chubs. Going to try Conesus.

For those of you wondering: Bayside at I-Bay south will have suckers later in the morning; I called one shop at Sodus Point - no pike minnows or chubs; Bay Bridge on Sodus was out of pike minnows (should have more in the week).

Art worked out for us and provided some nice chubs. Unfortunately they didn't produce for us. Fished the far south end near the buoy. Never managed a hit on the live bait. I had some action on some good sized pike/musky lures but didn't land a fish. I had one on for about 5 seconds but he came unhooked (never got a look at him). Had a short strike by a medium pike on a bucktail just off the bow of the boat.

Lots of fish swirling and feeding down there. We were baffled that our suckers didn't get any attention. We tried different riggings and certainly had some active bait.

Nice day down on the lake for sure.