Need help to winterized my boat

Hey anyone,

I dont know how to winterized my boat and I wanted to learn how to do it. I dont want to give store to winterized it because it is cost me $230 for it. I know it is worth it but I wanted to have someone to come up and explain me how to do it so i can keep it in my mind for future.

My boat is I/O motor so I have completely no knowledge how to do winterize for it.

Can anyone explain me what i need to do and what kind of winterize fogger, antifreeze, and etc for on my i/o boat?

I would appreciate if someone willing take their several hours to help me out on that issue. I'll willing pay little extra for you.

Items to buy. Gear oil for outdrive, gear oil adapter that attaches into the fill hole on the outdrive to add gear oil, muffs to run boat in yard, antifreeze system to hook up to muffs, antifreeze (5 gallon containers), fogging oil. Get antifreeze system set up, resting on transom or swim platform. Run engine with garden hose/muffs for a while so the thermostat opens and allows water to come into the engine to cool ( at least 5 minutes ). Open engine compartment and remove flame arrestor on top of carb. Hook up muffs to antifreeze system and run boat. When the antifreeze is 2/3 rds gone, use a screwdriver to open the air baffles on the carb and start spraying fogging oil into engine. The engine will start to studder. Keep spraying until you stall the engine or the antifreeze runs out...which ever occurs first. Replace flame arrestor. Remove muffs. Drain gear oil out of outdrive. There will be two screws to remove on the lower unit. The screw on the bottom near the skeg is the drain screw with the second screw a little higher (looks the same). Drain oil into basin after removing both screws. After all the oil is drained (may take awhile), hook up gear oil container to adapter to the outdrives bottom drain hole. Squeeze in gear oil until it bubbles out upper hole ( check owner's manual on gear oil amounts, but usually you need two gear oil containers to fill the lower unit). Replace upper screw, then remove gear oil adapter from the lower unit and quickly replace drain screw. Done. I like to change the engine oil in the spring before the boat hits the water. Some people will remove spark plugs and spray some fogging oil on them during winterization also. I have been told it is bad to replace old spark plugs because you introduce dirt into the engine so I don't.......not sure how true it is but I find removing eight spark plugs too tedious for my liking so I chose not to touch the plugs until I am ready to change them. Best part of all this is you will learn your engine, and not feel helpless if something goes bad on the water.

Dear DF,

FIRST, Please be specific as to the year, make and model of the engine/IO. THEN, I can give some solid advice. Certain models especially the newer ones have internal cavities that cannot be drained. If you make a mistake, and the engine develops a freeze crack....Repair costs can easily exceed the value of the boat! Please provide some data please!

Respectfully....Jet Boat Bill

A word to the wise, if you are not mechanical or you are not confident in interpreting advice given to you, spend the money and have it done right. The want ads are loaded every spring with boats with cracked blocks etc, because someone thought they were a mechanic.

A word to the wise, if you are not mechanical or you are not confident in interpreting advice given to you, spend the money and have it done right. The want ads are loaded every spring with boats with cracked blocks etc, because someone thought they were a mechanic.

Excellent advice and money saved in the long run. Gill's rundown above covers the basic principal but there are many variations between different engine/drive manufacturers & boat designs for a one does all recipe.

Water tanks, live wells, bilge pumps all have to be winterized as well. Or at least checked to make sure they are self-draining. And just because they are suppose to be self-draining doesn't mean they actually are.

$230 doesn't sound like a bad price, but I am not sure for how much work. If a reputable business did the work and you have a bill you have a recourse for them to cover the damages if there is a problem next spring, maybe. Ask them if they have a written document insuring their work. I wouldn't let anybody pump antifreeze into my boat and then tell me they have no responsibilty.

$230 sounds very fair for winterization if it includes all the right components. If you are going to do it yourself, get a service manual for your boat. If you use antifreeze, please do not use the toxic kind. Also, why not just drain the block and risers of the water. Air doesn't freeze.

Draining everything works in concept unless you happen to forget one or have an elbow that didn't drain. When I owned an I/O, I wanted it done right by someone competent and would stand behind it rather than save a few dollars. Which is why my current boat is an outboard that I can easily winterize myself and not worry about it.

Items to buy. Gear oil for outdrive, gear oil adapter that attaches into the fill hole on the outdrive to add gear oil, muffs to run boat in yard, antifreeze system to hook up to muffs, antifreeze (5 gallon containers), fogging oil. Get antifreeze system set up, resting on transom or swim platform. Run engine with garden hose/muffs for a while so the thermostat opens and allows water to come into the engine to cool ( at least 5 minutes ). Open engine compartment and remove flame arrestor on top of carb. Hook up muffs to antifreeze system and run boat. When the antifreeze is 2/3 rds gone, use a screwdriver to open the air baffles on the carb and start spraying fogging oil into engine. The engine will start to studder. Keep spraying until you stall the engine or the antifreeze runs out...which ever occurs first. Replace flame arrestor. Remove muffs.

Where do you buy gear oil adapter and anti freeze system?

DF,

I would agree with Pike Hunter. It is worth the peace of mind to have it professionally done especially if you are unsure of your own abilities. If you want to see how it is done go to the West Marine web site and search for winterization. They have have a checklist and a pretty good video on what to expect when you start this project.

Jay