Pheasants

Took the GSP to 3 rivvers today and only put up one rooster. Alot of woodcock though. Has anyone been to whitney point? Hows the hunting been there?

We've been reasonably successful so far at Tarbell Farms (Whitney Point). My buddy & I & his dog have been 3 times & gotten at least a bird apiece each time. Key to hunting Tarbell is a dog that likes to cover a lot of ground. PM sent. -Andy

Well that is exacally how my GSP hunts. I love hunting over her as it is alot of fun to watch a good dog in action. The rooster she pointed at 3 rivers was in a hedgerow we just watched 3 labs hunt through. I cut through it and she was getting all birdy and I let her do her thing and sure enough she found one. Is Tarbell Farms actually whitney point wmu or a connecting proerty? Excuse my ignorance here just never heard it called Tarbell Farms. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the DEC pheasant management area in Smithville, known as 'Long Pond State Forest' (or Tarbell Farms to us locals).The Whitney Point MU, is actually in Triangle, & I stopped going there b/c it felt like the hunting pressure was pretty high. The open acreage associated with Tarbell Farms was acquired by the state many years ago. Long Pond is also adjacent to most of the open acreage.

Dont be sorry I learned something new. I was mislead by the DEC website i guess. It sounded like Whitney point waas their pheasant management area. I have a hunting camp in Solon I send alot of time during bow season and was looking for an area close to it for pheasant. I will have to look up how to get there. Thanks for the info.

Dont be sorry I learned something new. I was mislead by the DEC website i guess. It sounded like Whitney point waas their pheasant management area. I have a hunting camp in Solon I send alot of time during bow season and was looking for an area close to it for pheasant. I will have to look up how to get there. Thanks for the info.

ok I have a GSP and would love to hunt some birds with her is this open state land you guy are talking about? I live in rochester and just started hunting her last year I got out about 5 or so times with her and she only found one dead bird all season I would love to go a place that there are birds and some good land I will be more than willing to drive a little ways for a good pheasant hunt please let me know where this is and if it is open to everyone with a reply or a pm thanx.

We live near Solon (Cincinnatus). Drop me a pm & I'll email or call ya. To get there you just keep going on RT 41 out of Cincy http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/8180.html -Andy

• 3 weeks later...