""WARNING"" PLEASE ALL READ NO JOKE !!! IF U LOVE LIFE

OK now yer waiting for a joke or two but this ant!!!

I got a call about a high carbon monoxide (CO) today and a new family with a 3 week old baby lives were saved by a CO Detector ... DO YOU HAVE ONE???

the level was oner 100 ppm ,10ish being a little high.... The problem was caused by dust in the burners (orface end) that totally plugged the combustion air passage ,when improper air fuel happens carbon (soot) builds up in the passages causing the exaust (now real danger) to roll out in the house,,, death, or a fire are the 2 next items to happen...but the co detector saved their lives..

So make shure your furnace is clean and in good shape,you have a good fire detector and a good CO tester ....

the two holes in the following pics are supposed to be the same the one on the left is a little heavy "gas ash and deposits" tho almost normal in dusty conditions..

the other ant so pretty ,when carbon occures due to the improper air/fuel mixture ,the carbon has a snowball effect and builds rapidly......

So pass the word to loved ones,friends,and family a 20 .oo dollar item may save their lifes as this new family will live to tell their story ,not to have it told about them...

6vzxA.jpg

6vC1J.jpg

6vEwS.jpg

Dear Ray K.

Yes, I have two CO detectors, one by the heating units and one in the living area. I keep my furnaces clean & the chimmney. Last Winter was a brutal if not record heating season. Furnaces should not be taken for granted and annual cleaning will keep breakdowns and worse from happening. Have had friends that died from CO and/or had bad fires from malfunctioning heating units. (Boat Live-in people have to be very carefull too!)

..........Respectfully submitted.........Jet Boat Bill

Ray,

Good post - it's required by law to have a CO detector (Amanda's Law) which went in to effect earlier this year. I realize just b/c it's law doesn't mean everyone will have one, but nonetheless thanks for the reminder. More importantly, thanks for the very vivid reminder to have our furnaces cleaned/inspected!

- Chris

:yes: good post,Ray! what ray said is important!being in the biz myself,i see alot of neglect to heating systems.this is especially important for those that do alot of woodworking in their basement or furnace area.

also,while you are at it get your clothes drier vent cleaned out or just replace it yourself.

they dont cost much and it may save lives.

mike ;)

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back cause It's like Ray said, "No joke". I just got my furnace cleaned, but not before Thanksgiving day. Sooooo, guess what!....Yup ...FAIL!...and short of calling our beloved hero HVAC man..(dun dun DAHH!) On his turkey and giblet special neck sucking day! ...I got no choice but to go clean the exchanger and flue my not so expert self! Well I found out a shop Vac is not the best soot sucker to use but at least I wore a breathing mask. Shouldda wore a helmet too! Frying pans hurt when someone finds soot upstairs and they got black feet....oops. So a word to the wise, make sure It's cleaned and adjusted BEFORE a holiday, otherwise ya might invite "Murphy" to yer party....or Ray on holiday rate, appease him with a nice juicy turkey neck and get a discount, Thanks Ray! Great reminder.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

good post. a simple, quick cleaning can save a ton in terms of both costs of major repairs, and in the case of Carbon Monoxide, lives. Having worked in home improvement for a few years i could never get over the number of people who never performed preventative maintenance on major appliances- be it furnaces, washer and dryer, or hot water heater...

Gas is dangerous stuff... had a hose pop out on my dryer a few years back...started gettin a headache and the whole house stunk... fire dept. came out with their detectors and quickly found the source... luckily it was a really cheap fix... but i paid in terms of embarassement for having a whole fire company sitting in front of my house. Another easy and cheap fix that will keep your family safe.... check your dryer gas line... if its an old fashioned rubber one, take the $10 to replace it with a flexible metal one... The rubber ones wear out after a while, not to mention mice like to chew through them. The flexible metal ones last longer and make a better seal. Always use gas pipe glue on the fittings to seal it good.

My work in the steel mills and the Blast Furnace Areas where the gas produced was 19% CO had many deaths while I was there. My Fire Department experience showed CO in laundromats with gas dryers when the operator plugged up all the outside air to save on the heating bills caused bad CO conditions, the same happened in homes with wall furnaces and plastic on the windows. Another furnace had the filter cover installed upside down. Birds falling down chimneys in the winter caused CO incidents. Your furnace must have access to ouside makeup air and a good flue. My new furnace has plastic makeup air supply and direct fan pressured exhaust.

Headaches are a sign of CO poisoning even if you do not die first.

CO detectors are mandated today and if you sell your home they must be there.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a CO detector. The thing has read 0 ever since I had it. So I started to wonder if it didn't work. I put it behind the tail pipe of the truck to check it. It shoot up to 290 right away. My mother has the exact same one at her house so I checked it as well. Couldn't get a reading from the tail pipe, not good. The store replaced it for free. Checked the new one and it seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the post. I likely would have never checked.