Sub Troll 900

downrigger

sounds like a set up problem....how old is this unit...are you grounded properly......is the connected end to the probe done properly... check the antenna....these are some of the trouble shooting i would start with....after all the trouble shooting i found that my antenna was broke.....

No we replace the battery every trip And the unit is only 2 season's old!! We even put on new cable this yr. Would a nick in the plastic cable screw it up?? We seen one about 60 ft we cut it off and re did the wire to the ball?? Still dont registar right it works then after a hr. or 2 It goes goofy??? :no::no:

Ok, one other thought. About 2 years ago, I had something similar to this. I called Moor directly and spoke to their customer service & tech support line. First thing the tech asked me is what body of water I fish in. When I told him Lake Ontario, he knew exactly what was wrong. It seems Lake O has a higher mineral content than the other Great Lakes and those minerals attach themselves to the sensor pick-up on the probe. It is a relatively easy fix. You need to remove the paddle wheel from the probe. Once that is out, you will see the sensor. Clean it with a mineral cleaner (nothing harsh) and that should help. The tech guy said because of this mineral content, I may have to do this every 2 years or so. Give that a whirl and let us know if it works.

If your unit is working fine for an hour or two then starts going wacky it sounds like you might be getting water in the probe.

When this starts happening pull the cap off and look for any moisture in there.

A battery should last most of the season in a subtroll.

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

I find that if you are going really fast....like 3.5 mph or higher you get so much deflection in your downrigger that it changes the angle of the water hitting the paddle. This makes it read like 2 mph when you are actually doing 4 mph. You can avoid this by running a 15 or 20 lb weight :) If you are running an 8 or 10 lb it will probably happen every time.