fly fishing for carp

SENECA6

ive fished for them in the susquehanna. during summers low water period. find "mudding" fish which are actively feeding. its obviously a sight fishing game so clear, calm summer days are best. for rods, 7 or 8wt, floating line and long flouro leaders. bonefish flies work well for carp. best, mark

I use a 8 weight. Crayfish imitations and nymphs work good when they are mudding. If you can get them to eat dog food or bread that you chum, you can use brown glow bugs (have to color the glow bug yarn brown yourself) or make a bread fly out of glow bug yarn and use floatant to make it float like the bread pieces. Carp fishing on the fly is a blast. Lots of small ponds have good numbers of big carp in then. My personal best is a 35lb. grass carp from a pond that is about 3 acres. You will need florocarbon from 6 to 10lb. test. Carp can be really line shy. They can be very spooky of movement too. Casting can be a real challenge when using the fly rod. Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

• 5 months later...
I have used a piece of a couch cushion and cut a small chunk from it. It resembles a piece of bread and it stays on and works!

Thats a good idea. Only problem is my wife would kill me if I was stealing foam out of our new couch cushions. :D

you can use 6 to 8 wt rod and reel. i use a 6 wt with floating line and 8lb leader. I use wooly buggers for them. another 2 or 3 weeks ill start hitting streams looking for carp and go get them. cast upstream a few feet and drift it to them they love crayfish

• 4 months later...

Fly fishing for carp is one of the great challenges of Ontario. Before using a first flight, rubbed with mud or algae in the bank or the bottom of the river or lake. The best time for fly fishing are in September and October, and again in April and 10am till 4pm is the best time of day to try fly fishing for carp. So you can fish for bass in the morning.