European skull mount

landingzone

Anyone have any experience with the preparation of a whitetail skull/antlers to make a European mount? I read about all the boiling, picking, scraping, etc. and it sounds like a big job. Also, some folks suggest hanging it on a fencepost for a year. Others, say bury it for (?) months. Has anyone tried the "bury it" method and do you bury the whole thing or do you leave the antlers sticking out? Can it be done professionally, locally, for a reasonable cost?

Thanks, Dick

I do all of my mounts euro style. I have done 12-15. The hang on the post or bury and leave methods is not very good for several reasons it takes a ton of time, the end result is not that good, and critters can get at the horns and chew them up. THe best method is beetles but like me this isn't practicle because you need to raise them before you do it. The best method for most guys like us is the boil. For a full euro it usually takes 5-8 hours depending on you heat source. I use a camp stove and it take one small canister of propane. Do it outside for sure or you will stink up the house. Preparation is the key. Cape out the head and get as much of the meat off as possible. Make the cut behind the head so you have a opening to scoop the smart stuff out of its container :lol: Don't worry about the eyeballs I find the boild and pop method works the best. I like to soak the skull first fro 3-4 hours or more to get as much blood out before I boil. Generally the first boil I let it run for 2 hrs or so, take it out scrape off what you can spray the head off and put it back in. The ticket is to get the greasy stuff off the top of the water and don't have more water than you need to cover the skull otherwise you stain the antlers a bit. I usually take the head out 3-4 times during the entire process to scrape as I go and keep the water cleaner but eventually you should have everything off and then I run the whole thing under hot as i can get tap water and scrub it all to get everything clean. It's not a glorious job but looks awesome and saves some bling fro do it yourselfers. Lots of taxidemist will do it up for 75-100 whihc may be worth it to you. Let me know if you have any questions, hope this helps

I had a skull done by my taxidermist in which beetles were used. The skull came out bright white (almost bleached looking). I think they are called DERMESTID BEETLES. I also had a skull boiled and wasn't as happy with the results as with the beetles. Check with your taxidermist that uses the beetles.

Brian

the beetlesdont make it white even with the bugs ya need some cleaning and trimmin some fragile cartalage ,,,,,,then they use a commercial grade peroxide (basicly the bleach stuff used by hairdressers) ...to whiten it up ........if its a real nice rack pay the 90 o 100 bucks and pick it up in a month...but if ya got time and wanna tincker have at it

www.barebonesandbugs.com

I have done several and have had great results. I generally use a propane heater that you would use as the heat source to deep fry a turkey. What I have found over the years is that for the best results you want to use a slow boil rather than using a high heat to reduce the time. I have a steel building and will put that in the middle of a concrete floor and haven't had any problems.

When you take the head off the neck make sure you get above the last vertibrae and like others suggested cut all the excess meat off along with all the hide. I generally cover the pot and surround the head with foil to keep the heat in and reduce evaporation but you will probably need to have additional water on hand. Once the head is complete I will generally use a piece of wire to pull any brains left in the head out through the opening at the base of the skull. While the skull is still hot I pour peroxide over it to make it white. I haven't tried the industrial strength sold in beauty shops but the kind sold in any drug store works well.

One last tip. The sooner you get the hide and the meat off the head the better results. I have left bucks to hang for a few days and then cut the head for a european mount and no matter how much peroxide you pour on it it just won't get that white.

Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

I usually bury the skull up to the bases and let it sit all winter. Pull it out in spring, hose it off, spend a little time with bleach and call it good. Least amount of time commitment and mess when done this way. Make sure you secure the rack with a log or rock to keep coyotes from dragging it away.

I buy a kit from a hunting supply place. It does 2 heads. Boiling takes about 2 hours. Scrape as much crap off it you can and the pressure washer takes care of the rest in a hurry. It comes with an accelerant product to speed that process up then a bleaching past you mix and let dry. Once thats dry you brush it off and mount it to a plaque. They come out as white as white can get. I do highly suggest not to buy one of those cheesy plastic skulls and mount the antlers to that. Antlers just dont fit right and it looks fake when all done.