sHORE FISHING FOR PERCH

zjohn

Fished Seneca today for perch. Myself and two buddies boated 43 perch at first light (within about 45 minutes). They shut off quick and moved out. We had a tough time locating them after daylight. As a reply to your post, check all the MAJOR points on the lake from about 40'-80' on the bottom. I use a Vexilar flasher, regular Lowrance sonar, and most importantly an Aqua-Vu portable camera. Purchased the camera and Vexilar for ice fishing and have converted for perch fishing. This equipment keeps us over fish at all times and shows us how they are reacting to our bait and lure presentations. As most winter perch fishermen know, if your off the spot by a few feet you may as well be a mile off becuase you are not going to get them. Lots of time on the water and experience will pay back big time! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

it's tough fishing perch from shore on seneca.

the breakwater in watkins always has guys fishing if the wind from the north isn't too bad, and they get their share of perch but you won't limit out there. some guys fish the docks in the marina there, too, and pick up a few.

it might be worthwhile to fish from shore where feeder streams dump in, if you have access to private property. smith park is public, and you can fish the beach where the creek flows in. i'm not sure how i would rig up for shore fishing perch. probably a drop shot rig, modified with some sort of float to keep the bait off the bottom just a bit.

the launch at severne is open year round but i don't think you are supposed to fish off the launch, although i have seen people do it. i suppose if you keep out of the way and don't make a nuisence out of yourself you'd be ok there.

if you try it, i think i'd pick a calm day. it's tough fishing seneca from shore throwing 3/4 oz cleo's into the wind, pitching bait and trying to feel a bite through the whitecaps would be quite a challenge i imagine.

good luck to ya!