The Good, The Bad and The Bonehead

Had a chance to get out to Chautauqua for a quick trip on Sunday. Got a late start, didn’t get on the water till 9:30 and weather was tough (stiff north/northwest wind) with some rain and occasional snow kept most boats tucked away. Water temp in north end of the lake was 51 degrees. We headed up to the farthest north end of the lake hoping to find calm enough water to try some casting and maintain some decent boat control.

The Good:

We ended up getting this guy casting a brown bucktail around:

ExAm0.jpg

She put a great fight for being a 35†fish. She jumped a couple times and pulled some drag before ending up in the net. After a quick picture, back she went in perfect condition. :clap:

The Bad:

The winds picked up as the day went on. We tried trolling the second half of the day and didn’t move a rod. The screen looked good around the deeper holes on the north end but was unable to turn any of the fish we saw.

The Bonehead:

Called it quits around 2:30. Unloaded my stuff from the boat and went to put the boat back on the trailer to head home. Was very focused on getting the boat on the trailer and locked down correctly that I never even thought to look back as we were leaving to see my musky tackle box sitting on the dock….. yes, I’m the bonehead here. :@;(;(:@ This tackle box was bought one lure at a time (it’s all I could afford in the world of musky fishing) and took me a good 2+ years just to fill. Well I discovered the missing tackle box two and half hours later when I had made it back to Rochester. My heart sank as I checked over the boat 4 or 5 times before finally realizing I had left it right on the end of the dock at Pendergrast.

I quickly called some friends that I knew were also out there fishing that day (Larry Jones, Mike Sperry and Brian & Lisa from the Happy Hooker Bait Shop). All were very helpful and for that I thank you each VERY MUCH!

The Happy Ending:

Someone called into the Happy Hooker this morning asking if anyone had lost a tackle box and that they would like to turn it in! I was overcome with joy and told Brian & Lisa to write them up a gift certificate to the store on my behalf as a thank you for their honesty.

Lessons Learned:

Write your name & phone number on the inside of your tackle box! I had never even thought to do this until it was too late. Even better…… don’t leave your tackle box at the end of the dock – it’s a terrible feeling ;)

wow- a happy ending, that is cool! i could just imagine how happy someone would be to find my box! some of those things you can't replace like that black jerkbait i want in your box! you know which one, the one larry gave you.

Zach -

Things I can't replace like the lure that says "Chad & Katie 10/2/10" you gave us as a wedding gift - priceless! I should take that and Larry's lure (yes I know the one!) right out of that box!

Bob -

Yes, very nice guy - glad fisherman are honest people!

Chad

I might have spoke too soon about the Happy Ending.... I talked to Brian and Lisa today and they are still waiting for my tackle box to be turned in ;(;(;( I am planning on going fishing this Sunday again with my little brother and his friend (Zach). Zach has never been musky fishing before but fishes pike all the time around Braddocks and loves it.

So let's pretend for a second that you are you in my shoes..... you just had a wedding (very little money left over now for fishing stuff). You are heading out fishing and REALLY want to show your brother and his friend a good time but only have 3 LURES to use... what would those three lures be? I ask only cause this is literally what I am probably going to have to do - stop at the happy hooker before we go out and buy a couple lures to fish with that day - haha. We will most likely be casting that day.

Being new to that type of fishing for them, you might consider one of the lighter lures such as the LARGE bucktail spinners as part of your arsenal. I'm sure they're arms will get tired pretty quick chucking out big cranks. ;) Just a thought.

BlueEye, if you get over near Rochester at all I'd be willing to loan you my gear for your outing. I've actually got a pretty good selection of trolling and casting baits, and although I've fished for muskies on Chautauqua, Waneta, Nippissing in Ontario, and Hopatcong in NJ - believe it or not- I've never actually caught one. Someone might as well show me how it's done, even if I'm not there!

I live in Webster and work in Rochester. You would just have to get the stuff back to me is all.

Best to email me directly at [email protected] if you are interested.

MarkG

I`ve got a couple boxes you`re welcome to use.Cranks,jerks(sledges!!)spinners(inlines blk/org,blk/silver stud dogetc.),gliders shallow deep it`s all in there small and large.Geared for chautauqua fishing.Even got a nice box of red octobers and good selection of depthraiders-dbls in 4colors 1ea straight and jointed models,big Game twitchers and set of rockets.Let me know if your`re interested.

Bob

BREAKING NEWS:

Received an email tonight from Brian & Lisa at the Happy Hooker letting me know that the person did show up tonight and turned in the Tackle Box! Yeeeeeeeeehhhaaaaaa :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bob & Mark & Zach - THANK YOU so much for the offer! I honestly never expected anything like that and to get the same offer from 3 people is really saying something about the kind of guys we got here. Thank you again very much!

I will post a report after the trip. Sunday is looking to be decent weather but I am worried the fish might be shut down after this cold front passes through. Should be gone and through by Saturday night but I am not sure that will be enough time for the lake to set back up again come Sunday.... we shall see right? Wish I had the week off to fish as the weather leading into next looks great.

whew i was just gonna send ya a box of antique musky lures ,wood with glass eyes..guess ya dont need them now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HEY DID I READ THAT RIGHT "NOW THAT IM MARRIED MY FUNDS ARE CONTROLLED BY ANOTHER PERSON"

I Told You To Run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :poolparty:

Walk right up to her and tell her to kiss your :mooning: your gonna spend your money any way you want too.