any smallies in ontario near rochester?

Bassman-

Went out a few weekends ago. Had the kids and were drifting off the creek & pumphouse. Nothing but some large gobies. Don't know if the bass were around there but best bet would be trolling.

Ran up into the creek and batted the cycle. I think the kids caught one of everything you can think of. I did a few bass tossing tubes/worms and spinnerbaits. A few hammer handles northern too.

Just like at the Oak, I can keep the kids entertained there. Problem is.... I don't get my casts in. Too busy monkeying with A) baiting hooks B) digging hooks out of fish C) untangling birdnests D) keeping score E) All of the above.

At least I'm on the water!! Wouldn't trade it.

I've seen guys of the Nose and pumphouse but haven't heard how they're doing???

Good Luck, Good fishing

Smallys in the Rochester area has always sucked relatively speaking. Most of the rocks are at points east (sodus,hedges, etc.) and points west (niagara).

There is Wautoma shoals and oddball spots off braddocks but I dont think this area can hold a candle to the other areas. Its always been like that. Has anybody tried Sodus lately? It used to be great up till about 2 years ago when there was a huge fish kill they said was caused by a massive turn over. Havent heard much lately. BP

Trip Report for Sandy 6/30:

Late morning start with the kiddos.

Trolled for a few minutes off the pumphouse in 20fow. Didnt get any takers but marked a few fish down low.

Screwed around on the lake, water was barely swimable but took a dip anyway - 70F.

Ran up the creek and caught a some small bass and kids had a pile of sunnies. Damn things sucked their worm right deep every time :evil: Momma was right, should have been a surgeon - I managed to unhook all but one successfully & let them swim away :D The other , well its wearing one of those teenage hook piercings.

Interesting enough, I had a spotted gar follow the rubber lizard I was throwing, I'd say about 18". I've seen bigger in the creek, just not ready to strike like that one.

Steelhead'r: Absolutely. Its a small sacrifice. In due time, I hope they'll be waking my butt up to go out early.

Thinking of making the trip to Hedges, as its been a few years. How's the fishing out there. Hamlin used to be okay. But not like some days we had out the Hedges. Anyone catching bass there? or have the gobies taken over??

Well....for what it's worth....I went trolling for walleye up the Genessee between 104 and driving park. Lost 2 fish I'm certain were walleye but I boated 3 smallmouth. So there ya have it. It don't get any more Rochester than that. I can only imagine how someone who knows how to target smallies in the river during prime hours would do if I was able to catch 3 retards at 3 in the morning.