Daiwa Tanacom Bull 1000

Billy V

This bad boy just arrived at my house yesterday. They're gonna be awesome for fishing long coppers, especially on tournament days when we need to swap out baits really fast. Imagine pushing a button and then the reel brings in your 600' copper in less than 60 seconds! They will also jig your baits, which I see as an incredible advantage, especially on those days when the fish are negative and need that little extra push to bite. I can't wait to get these things wet next spring on the Niagara Bar!

TB1000.jpg

Here's all the specs about them: http://daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=203

Well at least they named it right the "1000" I guess with tax and shipping that's what ya gotta pay to save yourself that extra couple minutes of reeling it in! Wondering how many guys on here can afford to "actually pay" that much money for a fishing reel to catch a salmon. What's the cost to have that repaired I wonder?

That much for a fishing reel to catch salmon as far as "I" am concerned is just plain ridiculous. Tournament or not. Just think Bob if we had that when we finished 6th in the Pro Am a few years back instead of those $40-50 Shakespeare that Ray had on his boat we might have won it and made enough :cash: to almost pay for the reel :o:lol:

In my eyes it's all part of the progression of the sport Tom. I applaud Daiwa for thinking out of the box and attempting to give anglers an advantage. That being said, this reel is definitely not being marketed to the weekend warrior. It's a serious tool for career and tournament anglers. There were a couple of very busy full-time charter boats using these on Lake Ontario last season. Ask them about their relative worth. Given that both of those guys work without a first mate, my guess is that you’d have to pry these out of their hands. I liken it to any other piece of equipment - if you're a professional mechanic you'll easily spend 10x what I'd spend for tools. All I need is a basic wrench to take that lug nut off, but if I was wrenching on cars for a living you'd better believe that I'd have an impact driver, hydraulic lifts, etc in my garage. If you’re a guy who makes all or a part of his living on the water I see this as just another tool of the trade and Daiwa is marketing it as such.

On a side note, I'd definitely want to look at the rules for each and every tournament that I was fishing to make sure that a reel like this is 100% legal.

I'm not disabled and I'm not ashamed. Not even close. This reel is nothing more than a glorified electric downrigger. All it's going to be used for is to retrieve copper lines rather than sitting there cranking a slow Penn 345 for 5 minutes. I suppose that those of us with electric downriggers should be ashamed that we've taken advantage of technology in order to raise our cannon balls? Give me a break.

I think that is awsome Billy! Our coppers were on fire at the Niagara and to think that you can bring them in that fast is great! I dont mind bringing a fish in from a country mile back but changing out baits on long coppers just plain sucks. Maybe they are over priced but alot of things are, I like em :yes:

What's so new about this, I saw an electric reel on a boat from Ohio, much like this one. Too big too expensive

A smart mechanic buys only the tools he needs. He does not buy gagets he repairs machines and at the end of the year shows a profit. Not quite fair to compare a hard working mechanic to part time charter captains that operate in the red.

Tom,

I saw this nifty pasta cooker, you could make more customers pasta and do it in a microwave.$10 for 2.

By the way, I was talking about myself above

Next thing you know....virtual salmon trolling ...right from your couch....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

BINGO!

Self Censor can ya pick me up one of them pasta microwave things :lol: .

Bet the local mechanic paid full price for his impact wrench before he decided to tell every other mechanic how great it is.

Billy I agree with the your statement about electric riggers but one of my problems lies in the price, $900.00 for a fishing reel? Come on! It's like trying to justify a $25,000,000 a year contract to play baseball!! We're not fishing for tuna or marlin, it's salmon. Who the heck wants to bring in a salmon on 600-700 ft of copper anyways. BORING !!!! It should be against all the rules of fishing in Lake Ontario, tournament or non tournament.

When new bows came out the traditionals called the Letoff feature guys wooses, (not real bow hunters),next muzzle loader shooters, "may as well call it a rifle" from the shotgunners, when "3 wheelers" came out us dirtbikers called them trycycles for guys who couldnt ride "2 wheels"..

Illbet the camera buffs popooed the "new cameras" with auto features when they came out.

back a little further "when muskybob was a boy"" the Horseriders looked at the automobile with a bent nose"" (Bobs still is). Im shure the traditional "math the old way " teachers shook their fist at the caculator..

weve gone from pen and paper to this new fangled age of E-mail,texting, sexing (just me wanna see) ,

The way i see it is the human body is a machine capibable of performing a task a given amount times before wearing out,tennis elbow,ect...so if billy wants to save his "Right arm" for other things then good for him.........(just be careful no one reverses polarity over nitgh in a derby). :lol:

This is NOT new technology or a new idea. This had been around for awhile. My father gave me an auto retrieve fly reel in 1965. As you stripped line it would compress a narrow spring coil located on the the left side and inside of the reel body. Hit a lever and it would retreive the loose line and tighten up on the fish faster than you could reel by hand.

I could be wrong as it was quite a few years ag0 but I believe it was a Heddon.

The idea never really caught on and it sure didn't produce any more fish than a conventional reel.

Glen

Lots of questions. The jury is still out...

Battery powered or plug-in? Rechargeable? Battery life?

That's a 10 mph retrieve. Imagine a salmon hitting that at 30 mph the other way during a retrieve...there goes my rod, or wrists, elbows & probably shoulder.

How much load can the motor take? Is that speed truly with a copper & lure? or speed of the spool in a lab? My Dad also had one of those spring loaded reels. Was only good for taking up slack with a fish on. It wouldn't reel a fish in, even a panfish.

What's it weigh? Is it truly a trolling reel?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

And yes I have electric riggers but where does it end Billy? Don't be lazy and show some restraint for the good of the fishery .

Has Been - You don't seriously believe that these reels will harm the fishery, do you? If so, then you really need to strip those electric downriggers, your fish finder, GPS, and your speed and temperature probe off of your boat and just go fly fishing! But then again, as Spoonfed-1 just mentioned above, this is not a new idea and in fact didn't help fly fishermen increase their catch rates and never caught on. But I have to tell you, since I posted this no less than 3 tournament boats have contacted me and asked where they can get them because they see the advantages that I mentioned above and are going to take a look at them and possibly add them to their list of essentials.

When it gets down to the point where we can't even reel our fishing rod in because it's to much effort or we don't want to sorry ,it's over the top for me.

Has Been - My interest in new technology is because I love this sport and the competition found in tournaments and I'm always looking for an edge. After all, that's what separates the top boats from the average boats - attention to detail and things like consistent speed at the lure, keeping your boat over the fish, etc. - all things that are accomplished using today's modern tools like fish finders, GPS, and speed and temp units. This tool will give it's users a little bit more of an edge just like the equipment listed above does. I bet we switch over copper baits 3-5 times a day during a tournament until we find what the fish want. If these reels will save us 4 or 5 minutes each time we swap out baits, then that effectively gives us another 12-25 minutes of fishing time. 25 minutes more fishing time with one bait may mean the difference between first and tenth place. It's exactly the same thing with electric downriggers. The new high speed electric riggers allow fishermen to swap out baits infinitely faster than the guys with manual riggers, yet there's no public outcry against them is there? And while we're at it, let's talk about the added fishing time my charter customers will get from that one rod when we swap out baits. That additional 25 minutes can make the difference between an average day and a great day. My job on the boat is to maximize the amount of fishing time that my clients receive and to put more fish in the boat. I think this tool will help us do that. Plus I can reel your boat back on your trailer for you with it!

Bet the local mechanic paid full price for his impact wrench before he decided to tell every other mechanic how great it is.

Tom - First off you have NO IDEA how I acquired this reel. An no, I'm not going to tell you because my finances and how I earn my living are absolutely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I'm really disappointed in that response from you. :no: Secondly, if you go back and read my original post more closely you'll see that I didn't tell anyone how awesome they are. I have no idea how awesome they are because I've never run them. I mentioned very clearly that it had just arrived at my house and that I can't wait to use it at the Niagara Bar next year. I posted this here because I felt that some might find this a useful tool. Two other local Charter boats used them last year and what they've both personally told me is that they're worth every penny. Fact is, one of them has written an article about the merits of this reel and I'm told that it will be appearing in Lake Ontario Outdoors very soon. Finally, I have no control over the pricing of these reels. If you don't want to spend the asking price on a reel that's your business.

A smart mechanic buys only the tools he needs. He does not buy gagets he repairs machines and at the end of the year shows a profit. Not quite fair to compare a hard working mechanic to part time charter captains that operate in the red.

By the way, I was talking about myself above

Carl - I'm sure you're not talking about anyone other than yourself. No one would ever take it that way coming from you, would they? :no: And if I can add an extra 25 minutes of down time to my copper lures on each and every charter as a result of this "gadget", then I'll happily do that for my clients. I don't take back-handed cheap shots at others online and would have expected the same from you.

Lots of questions. The jury is still out...

Battery powered or plug-in? Rechargeable? Battery life?

How much load can the motor take? Is that speed truly with a copper & lure? or speed of the spool in a lab? My Dad also had one of those spring loaded reels. Was only good for taking up slack with a fish on. It wouldn't reel a fish in, even a panfish.

What's it weigh? Is it truly a trolling reel?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom - Battery or plug in. Rechargeable. I won't know battery life for certain until I have a chance to run it, but I'm told by those that have that the batteries last through multiple retrieve cycles. I'm also told by those that have run it and I can easily see when I mess around with the reel here at home that the motor has a ton of torque. The speed I mentioned above is what I was told by those who have a full season's use on the reel. In their words, it's "very strong and brings in a 600 copper in about 60 seconds". According to the specs in the box, it weighs 52.6 oz and has a retrieve rate of 130m/minute although when I've had a chance to play with it the display shows over 150m/minute. So it indeed won't bring in a 600' copper in less than 60 seconds, but darn close to it. It's surprisingly light even with the battery attached. It was purpose built as a kite fishing reel, but is nothing more than an electric level wind reel.

At least one things for sure, the fish haven't changed.

Sorry HB, they've changed a lot. Their environment in the open water has changed tremendously & so have the fish.

I just did some research on the "electrics" & they look pretty interesting. They've been around for a couple years. Unfortunately, they cost serious coin. I could probably list a lot of "bugs" but some experimentation will probably work them out. Everything has pros & cons.

Good luck with them Billy. Let us know how you make out.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Once again has been youve showed you lack of experience ,I dont care if ya been fishing a hundred years , "Always learning or never learning" applies to us all some choose the first half ,some the second..

When you get good enuf to jump in a derby then youll realize every minute wasted could be another fish,through speed issues (trolling to fast or slow) turning to get back to a spot currents..

lets say its a west troll bite ya just passed over some fish on a 90 heading ya got 2 - 600 ft copper out, with the elect reels in 60 sec you could saftly make the 180 change to 270 heading 4 to 5 min faster,toss in a west to east current the extra 5 min could cost ya 7 or 8 min due to sog loss due to down currents .

so 2 long turns 16 min lost per hour or 3 or 4 with elect.so a 12 min per hour lost time x 8 hr derby =96 min of dead or down time for one day or about 1 and a half hours of dead time for the "Reo-linda folks....like bill said the difference could be in the thousands at the end of the derby.

Plus ask Big Dave what happens when ya use up yer good parts,,,Clank,clank,clank..

:o

And try to explaine to the airport security girl why you wore out only your right elbow :lol:

Those fish I caught the last 5 days sure look a lot like the ones I caught 30 years ago.

Yep, as they’re spawning or eating the spawn…they still do that in the tribs you've been fishing and just as 30 yrs ago, they can still be seen and lifted with no problem. Now that’s real monkey fishing (manuvering through & about the shoreline trees)

Once again has been youve showed you lack of experience

BINGO

Tom B.

(LongLine)