Niagara Co. Buck

RUNNIN REBEL

Congrats Vince on a nice 7 pt. You saved the bow season so far. Story to follow I bet (BUT PLEASE tell it in less than 3 cell phone calls)

vince_7_pt.jpg

Congrats again, you have been working your plan HARD this season w/Mark.

vince_7_pt.jpg

This is the 1st. & only picture I have of Vince SMILING that did NOT cost me or team REBEL money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vince_7_pt.jpg

Jerry, I COULD tell a story in less than 3 cell calls if the guy on the other end(YOU), didn't live in a Lakefront home built like FORT KNOX!!!! If you had normal walls, instead of 3 ft of poured concrete, perhaps you could actually conduct a phone call without it cutting out! When you asked for pics I thought you were only joking about posting, but here it goes:

Well, my priority the last few seasons has been to put my wheelchair confined brother in position for "fair chase" Bowshots on Whitetail. He had only been bowhunting a couple years when he tragically became a parapalegic. He can shoot a fly off an apple with his compound, but of course is limited to the ground, and getting to those blinds is often louder and tougher to control scent. With the help of some good friends, some old, some new, we are getting better and more efficient. He, like many of us, loves big antlers, but understands what hunting is all about. He has been invited to special "high fence" hunts, and although appreciates these, really considers the fair chase game to be "real" hunting.

With the help of a good friend, we relocated a blind to the edge of a partially cut cornfield. Not completely sure what direction the deer would enter the field from, we hoped for the best. Meanwhile, I ended up in a portable in an open woods along a ditch about 100yds off a thicket, about 200 yds from Marks ground blind. Set up by 2pm on the 10th, it started like SO many, with sightings of PREDATORS. First, a huge coyotee. Then about 3pm, a red fox. With supposedly a NE wind, that actually was swirling all over, I was feeling good about my scent preventative measures with these keen-nosed critters moving around me. However, the swirling wind made me feel the blind set up could be doomed, as a NE wind would at least let him see the deer before hitting the stream. At 4pm, my fears were realized,as what I believe was a adul doe started blowing for all the world to hear. She was west of me, near the edge of the woods near grass and cornfield-where we felt they would most likely enter the field-and hopefully saunter over in front of his blind. Instead, what I think happened was she spotted the "new addition" to the landscape. She returned to the thicket. Another adult doe snuck back into woods and was cautiously circling around my position. As I followed her movement, I shifted my feet and the stand(which was wedged too tightly between 3 trees ) creaked. The doe bolted about 30yds, but settled down quickly and actually picked at some browse. At this point, with the woods on "high-alarm", and now my thoughtfully concealed stand creaking by rubbing adjacent trees, I felt no hope for the rest of the hunt. About 10 mins behind the doe came the buck. By no means a trophy by todays standards, but by far the best deer I've seen this season from a set. He hung up for about 10 mins behind me at about 30yds, no shot possible because of the 3 treed set. He apparently was more cautious because of the blowing earlier, and I thought the swirling wind or the new "creakster" stand would end it all. If the wind stayed NE, and he tried to go around me like the doe, I should get a shot, I was thinking. Unless of course, the stand F%@ed me. He then of course made his move to the more difficult side to shoot, down wind and to my right. My safety belt helped me get out away from the trees, out on the edge of the platform and take the 25yd fast walking shot as soon as he hit the ditch. No way even consider stopping him with as tense as the deer seemed. Put it on shoulder and it hit slightly behind for a double lung pass-through, bolted out of site but heard it go down in seconds. Remained in stand until dark so my brother would have best chance. At last light, he had a buck he believes crash in directly behind him. He couldn't see it, but he heard the gut-wrenching blowing and snorting. Either the sight of the new furniture, or our residual scent from getting him set-up got us. He text "game over". We were back at it setting him up last night in Orleans co, and we will get him out at least 3 more quality sits before 2010 archery season is over. I think I'm gonna keep setting him up on cut and standing corn, as they are playing hard in it right now.

Thanks guys for the congrats, and congrats to all who have scored some backstraps and to those that got the "wall hangers"

Hey Vince, fantastic story. I hope your bro' gets another shot! I've recently hired a guy who lost his legs to polio overseas when he was a kid, but he gets around the lab great on crutches/prosthetics and he's fantastically productive. It just illustrates how willpower and the resilience of the human spirit doesn't recognize limitations. :beer::beer::beer:

Vince, nice story and nice looking buck congrats, Hopefully you can get your

brother on a deer also.

Those pop up blinds are TOUGH to hide from the deer around here! it aint like

on TV that's for sure, I think it would be better to set it out early summer and

let them get used to it. They make it look so easy on tv, set it up along a field

load it up with people and an hour later a big buck walks right up to the window...

The turkeys don't pay any attention to them but man the deer come unglued

when they see them.

Absolutely correct, Lee. Had he not had his heart set on a deer, we would have had a "feather explosion". For the first time in our lives, I joined him in the blind last night with video camera. The wind was right, perhaps "too right", and we thought the incoming weather would have them moving hard. Perhaps a premonition, our friend/property owner says as we head in, "if you see one of the turkeys, take a crack at 'em". In at 2pm, the wind was light east. At 330pm I spot 2 black blobs, approx 100yds away. Before I can finish saying "they will come here" to the cut/standing cornfield, they are enroute. They presented a 30yd shot, but I could feel his hesitation. He really didn't want to hurt the chances for a deer, and they just weren't staying still. Of course, once they worked further out of range, he said, " maybe they will circle back around". I thought they would too, as the nearest cover was behind us, and the area is loaded with coyotees. After feasting for 20mins, here they come, we are about to capture a great hunt. He is about to get a 15yd shot. Just before they hit where he can take a shot,(they are to his right, right handed shot) they hit a wide row and go dead-away, circle around through the several rows of standing corn back where they came from. Oh well, we are here for deer anyway. We spend the next 90minutes staring at the edge of the woods and adjacent golden rod, trying to make the deer appear. About 5mins before end of shooting, with rain starting to come down steady, I spot a doe and fawn about 100yds away. No doubt still apprehensive of the weird structure tucked under a scrub tree. Now, all we care about is getting out of there without spooking them badly. I think we were able to accomplish that, as wind whipped up and rain fell harder.

Funny thing about what you wrote, Lee, was about an hour into the sit, my brother said-"ok, this is about when the giant buck strolls over in front of us if this was one of those shows". We have one more watch for him for the 2010 bow season, friday afternoon. Lets hope he gets a shot.