Over Deep Water Lake Erie Muskie

Today I started out in the Buffalo Harbor by myself after my client forgot he had a charter today. I did not mark much at all on the depthsounder but emerald shinners.So I decided to troll out to deeper water by the mid channel bouey in front of Buffalo to look at a few deep water riseing structures from 41 ft to 27 ft humps.Better looking bait fish and a few hooks there. Looking out a little deeper I noticed a small amarda of about 12 boats bunched up in one area.so I decided I would troll out and see what was up.As I got close to the edge of the boats I noticed that they were catching jumo perch. I also noticed a few bigger hooks,bigger then walleye mixed in with the perch school marks.I started to troll around the perch fishing boats circleing the perch school when the inside rod went off. Up to the boat came a nice Fat 46"er,hard netting with one hand and holding the rod with fish with the other hand.I got the fish in the net,but all wrapped up.After cutting a couple hook points I got the 9$ Bass Legend Plow out of the way and the fish free inside the net bag.I got a quick measurement by floating the Rapala measure stick next to the fish in the water.I decided I had this fish by the boat to long at this point ,forgot about taking pictures and went into revival of the fish.Did not take long,she swam away good.

That is the first muskie I've ever caught out over 55 ft of water suspended down 25 ft. I think tomarrow calls for another trip way out over deeper water!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

http://www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

Went out yesterday and lost a piggie 5' from the boat and almost cried. Not really crying but really disappointed after losing what I believe what would have been my PB yesterday out in Erie at 3:30 pm on a homemade periwinkle copy. I don't know if I was trolling too slow to get a good hookset or what but I booted a slob out of the south gap but out in Lake Erie. As soon as the stronger winds started I got hit and then the winds died down again and it was back to washing lures.

cost of gas to the buffalo harbor- $40

cost of huge fishing lures to chase them with- $225

cost of losing a big fish- priceless

cost of a new transmission- $1,000

:(

Anyone want to take a truckless fisherman to Harbor in the next days? I would go but truck is still in the shop. I have some big baits to run and know a few trolling passes. Nitro took me last time and it worked well for him. After the season closes he has a pic for all of to look at but not until then. Do you think the bus or a taxi would tow my boat there for me?

Here's the fish that Zach mentioned...my first great lakes muskie. He and I picked this one up on leadcore last wednesday trolling the south gap. not a slob but 44in made for a most successful trip. The conditions turned favorable for a couple days and we were fortunate to make it out there during that window (and on a nice day too!), but by the time I was able to get back out there on Sunday, the graph wasn't looking nearly as good and the results reflected that...one good rip over the deep hole, but zilch in the boat.

Hopefully there's still some action left on the canadian side of the river yet if the rain and wind hold off long enough to let the water clear up a bit. heres to hoping theres still one left to be had for the year :beer: And heres a couple for Zach... :beer::beer: glad you could join me...you got that guiding gene in ya!

44in_11_23_buffalo_harbor.jpg

Brad,Congrads on catching a Buffalo Harbor Muskie! The NFTA will pull the launch docks on Friday and block off the launch with cement barriers. So if your going to fish the Canadian waters of Lake Erie above the Peace Bridge, you will have to launch at Sheridan Drive Launch in Tonawanda and run up.If you do not know all the reefs above the Peace Bridge get a NOAA Chart,don't rely on GPS Mapping you could get into trouble.Be Safe and catch a big girl if you go.I'm going to Dallas,Texas on business then off to the Florida Keys for two weeks of fishing,nice to be retired! Other note: Above Peace Bridge your allowed two rods per person,Below Peace Bridge only One Rod per person.

Capt. Larry D. Jones