BOQ Charity Derby and Pre-fishing - Nov 19 & 20

As Laker John and I were entered in the Charity Fishing Derby on the 20th, we thought as good fishers that a day of 'pre-fishing' would be the answer to getting a fish or two. We travelled from Hay Bay to Huffs Shoal and trolled up and down there with no results. A hour of jigging in that area produced the same results.

We headed south down Long Reach and the flotilla of boats jigging at Thompsons Pt, there were at least two dozen, not counting the boats trolling around the yellow marker. We decided to troll to the yellow marker and then up into Hay Bay. We passed Sheldon and his charter of guys laughing and having a good time. The zero result was achieved.

We thought we had best get closer to home base and trolled up near Bayview Resort. We started trolling and within five minutes, the flag on the board went back - yipee fish on. I reeled the fish in and John put the net under the fish and it was ours. A quick photo and a rest on the scale and back she went.

1119A_Superdad775lbs.jpg

Setting the rod again, we started the troll and within a 100 yards, the flag bentback on the board - another fish on. John took the rod and set the boat to drift and I put the net under the fish and she was in. Holy Cow!!!!!! All day nothing and a pair in fifteen minutes. Once again the photo taken and the scale was tested and back she went.

1119B_LakerJohn1025lbs.jpg

We called it a day and spent the evening eagerly awaiting the start of the derby on Saturday. After having had the live-well checked, we were back to launch and begin the fishing. Starting at 0700, we had trolled approx 200 yds and the board moved with a fish. Unfortunately, the hook pulled out as I was raising the fish to the net - DARN!!!!!!

We trolled in the area for the next several hours and we were able to attract 8 strikes, four were lost and a pair of pike and a pair of walleye were landed. The walleyes were both under 25", so these were our entries in the derby, couldn't attract a 10lb plus, but that's fishing.

We weighed our fish and thanks to BayBoy, we got some pictures of the fish as they were released as soon as the weighing was concluded.

These were the pair we brought in - one for fifth prize and one for seventh prize.

1120B_BayBoyPhoto-SuperdadFish.jpg

Lots of people fishing but the results are not to write home about, many people drew blanks.

We had a great time and are planning for next years derby as we drove back home.

Thanks to Les Corby and his volunteers for a Super event.

Stay Tuned the soft water isn't over for a while.

David Delcloo aka Superdad

Kingston / Hay Bay