REBEL Sandy Creek Sun Report

First of all I owe an apology to FISHIN MAN TOM.

Tom I was sleeping at 5 pm when you called and my wife made a valliant effort describing your message on my voice mail. (Had bad dreams the rest of my nap after her description :shock: ) Please tell me you worked over the bait and marks in 85 to 105 feet any were from the park east?

Our charter today involved 1 long troll that whole stretch and we worked them hard with a spoon only program. Never turned around on them at all today. Fish hit very light today and lost a few of the bigger kings today. With out getting into the numbers thing we ended up with a lot of catch/release and a cooler full of mostly kings and a good batch of browns along with the bonus lakers. Very interesting day today with all that bait around pulling fish out of it.

Tom please call any time as you just caught me out cold tonight.

PS If you/wife and any other LOU members want to get out for an evening trip or weekend run I have off let me know, You guys are always welcome.

Jerry

REBEL

Rebel, Were the kings mostly out in the 200ft range or less? I missed a good day on the water yesterday, I am trying to make up for it by going tonight. A buddy was out and had some action in the 180-250 range.

We were out in the afternoon/ evening in the 90-100 FOW range by the park and had similar results. Picked up a few nice fish and a lot of hits that tripped the releases but no one was home by the time we picked up the rod.

We marked a lot of bait schools in the 70-80 foot range pretty consistently in the 90-100 FOW range.

We had a hard time finding consistent temps, the water seems to be upwelling in that depth range.

Just for fun we ran cowbells on the bottom with a NK 28 green and black ladderback, caught 4 lakers in a row trolling slow to the east in front of the water tower in 90 FOW, 90' on the rigger counter ( probably 85' at the lure )

A beautiful night to be on the water. We finally had a little bit of fleas on the line, time to switch to wire!!!

Jerry thank you very much for the invite you have my number ( :?: ) I am always game for an evening trip on Sundays if you need 2 rods ( right Ray :?: ) especially down there were I am getting a little more familiar with, but am always looking to learn about that area. Not problem at all with you having a nap and not getting back to me, I have seen how you Captains work and it is exhausting :!:

P.S my wife gives me messages like that too :x :evil:

Get the Net

Sun charter we fished 80 to 95 feet of water from the park east to lighthouse.

I went back out mon nite with wife and 2 year old for alittle over an hour of trying a new lure program. We fished 95 to 115 feet of water and boated 3 big kings and 1 laker.

I will be back out wed and thur with the LIGHTNING LURE manufacture and again fri-sat and sun. So if you guys get out give a shout on channel 72.

Jerry

REBEL

Tom no problem keep in touch OR race by my house in any direction you like :lol:

PS Mike Jones YES water temps were moving HARD Sun. had to troll east or cut current on angles to get set running right. That is why I went to a very fast test set mon nite to see if I could beat that current.

Rebel:

I was out deeper las night... I saw some boats in close, I was wondering how the fishing was in there. I normally get out on Wed nights, but changed this week to last night. It was a good night going 3-4.... I should be out Sun am. If you are out , give a call.. I 'll be on 72........

GTN

Hey gents - not too new to the site, but just picked up a new boat. Being a transplant from Buffalo/Erie has given me a new job to work on LO since I live here now.

I was out of Sandy last evening just trying out the new boat looking for bass. Mounting the downriggers this weekend, and throwing the bass gear in hiding.

Any advice for a 16 " Sylvan to head out for browns and kings this time of year. Probably not going to fire out to the depths, but trolling will be the ticket.

Thanks in advanced. Just looking for some brown action in the evenings.

Hijinks.... I also fish from a 16 foot aluminum boat... We have talked about it many times on this board, you just need to be smart...

As you get to know the lake you will feel more comfortable venturing from shore.. you really need to be where the fish are at..

I pay very close attention to the weather and when it doubt pick up and go..

The fish don't know how big your boat is, so if you are in the right spot, running at the right speed and running a good program, you can catch a lot of fish in a small boat...

enjoy!!

T- Thanks - I agree with you. Fished tourneys on Erie, and now LO is a bit different. Just matter of running the right way, and knowing where they are. Sandy creek will most likely be my launch of choice, so I'll keep my eyes peeled, and post reports when I jump on here.

Welcome aboard Hijinks, these guys are great and are more than willing to share all the secrets of fishing on LO.

I suggest stocking up on 42nd spoons and habeneros...

we fish out of a 16' polarkraft and as long as you pay atention to the wind and weather you should be fine. Pay attention to the NOAA forecast and don't even try going out anytime it forecast 2-3'+ waves, with a North or North west wind direction - it will be a bumpy ride for a 16' boat.

Lake trout are just off the bottom in 85-95 FOW, try running cowbells and NK28 glow frogs, put the riggers just above the bottom.

YT your right :shock: I hear that of the 12 fish at "least" 4 of them were of the laker AKA cement block fish :shock: Jaxs was out with him and he likes to go for those too ;):P.

I hit Sandy today (Tuesday) with my son in law and my bosses 11 year old son and once I got them to watch the poles when my back was to them :x we landed a 20+# king (son in law) and lost a king on the wire (11 year old :shock: :x ) but then got a couple of cohos and a nice brownie on the wire trolling in.

Wicked current still from east to west. East troll got us everything but the brown. Silver with green/chartruse tape got 2 fish, e-chip with a green howie fly took the brown and the lost king and watermelon took one of the coho. All fish were 75-80 feet down over 120-125 feet, with the brown coming in 60feet with the wire out 170. Talked to a guy named Flattop and he wasn't having any luck in closer so he went out to 400 feet and got a couple of bows :shock:

Tom

Lakers Mite be a good target next time your out, they even bite lures off boats that contain bananas. Im going to stock up on them and stash them all over your trailer.

Sandy is gonna be on fire after this cold front blows through, that leader board is gonna get all shuffled up in the next week I gerrranteeee!

Fished Sandy on Wednesday and rocked the kings with 2 lakers and 2 browns in the mix. For the first time ever, I had 7 of an eight rod spread go at once. We ended up boating 6 of the 7 with 3 kings all over 17 lbs. 2 lakers and 2 browns. I was running 4 riggers and 4 wire dipsys, and the only rod left in the water was the high wire. Spin Doctors and Echips with Attomik Flies were hot. The White glow spin doctor with Green spots w/ a mirage fly, Chartruese echip with the Packer fly, Glow frog NK mag, and Stinger NBK mag were the lure that took the fish. All fish came 50-85 down. We ended the day with the 8th place brown weighing 13 lbs. 13 oz.

Get the Net,

I moved out to Sandy this spring because the Newport house was going to be under new ownership. I'm really getting to like Sandy. I do miss the guys from I-bay but Sandy has been good to me so far this year.

And For all of you Laker haters, Lakers = money in the LOC. I really enjoy spending the time when Kings have lock jaw catching lakers. I still run spoons on high riggers for kings. I enjoy getting the most out of my gas money. I also take people fishing that want to catch fish and don't care what they catch. Browns fight like Lakers but I don't see anyone complaining about them in April! Next time the fishing is tough and you come in with very few fish, just remember, the lakers are sitting there waiting to be caught. Your buddies might feel a little better about pitching in gas money next time they are offered a seat in the boat! Good luck to all and see you out there!

Blah Blah Blah about the lakers. Not worth a cent as far as I'm concerned LOC or not. I would rather catch a 5# brown in the spring than a 20# cement block any time of the year. They don't fight for crap, period! The 7 or 8 lb brown we took on Tuesady was a way way way better fight than the 12# laker my buddy caught the week before that literally sat there straight down and just reeled staright up, don't even think it splashed :shock: :roll:

They suck and should be eliminated from the lake. Best part about the derby's are that people catch them, keep them and then they don't go back in the lake :D:D

Jax's told me about your 7 fish on :shock: That must have been a real fire drill. I agree totally with everything you said about Sandy. Great fishing but miss some of the boys from I-Bay ;(

Gambler I do remember now you telling me you were coming to this side of town. I am glad you hit the kings.. SO far Sandy this year has been pretty decent for me. I should be out Sun am.. If you are out, give a call on 72.

GTN