Perch rigs

Miss em

What kind of setups are you guys using for the perch? I took the kids out on Oneida on Sunday and had to fish the East end because of the wind. Not familiar with the area but fished where some other boats were fishing and didn't get any. Didn't see anybody else get any either so maybe they were done biting. I was trying drop sinker rigs with two minnows and jigs tipped with minnows.

My favorite rig is a light action spinning rod, reel loaded with 10 pound braid and two or three sneeled hooks tied directly to the braid with a palomar knot. No snaps or swivels as they stop sensitivity.

Important that the bottom hook is tied next to the half ounce sinker so that when the sinker is lying in the mud, the minnow is lying on the bottom. Perch are really bottom feeders and they hit the bottom hook three times quicker than the upper hooks. During the warm summer months the perch suspend at times, probably due to oxygen depletion and you can catch them 10 foot off the bottom at times. This also happens under the ice after a long period of ice with no thaws.

The braided line is like a violin string and you can feel the perch inhale your minnow, crunch and scale the minnows before they swallow them. The tip of your pole will show absolutely no movement, you have to feel the chewing with tight line.

Always carry ice to keep the perch fresh you can keep them overnight and clean them the next day when you are not so tired after fishing all day.

i used to use the same rig but switched to something that works better for me. I still put the sinker on the bottom but about a foot and a half up i tie a 2 foot section of line and tie my hook on that line. For me that works much better. On the finger lakes i put a 3 inch minnow on it and it produces big perch. For my jigging rod, i start with 1 of 3 colors. White, chartuese or pumpkin w/red flecks. I use 2 inch jigs. The pumpkin has been very good this year but oneida is much darker water than the finger lakes.

I like to use mini mite jigs tipped with a spike or just fatheads,always with a very light sinker and just allowing the boat to move with the wind.This movement allows you to instantly feel any hits