A Lake Ontario Pioneer Passes

Squid

Yesterday Capt. Marv Cappon a pioneer of Lake Ontario trout and Salmon fishing passed away at the age of 81. As Marv had been away from the industry for many years most of you on this forum probably do not know him but there are still some of the old guard that I am sure remember him as he was an unforgettable figure.

Standing 6'8" and 300lbs he was an giant of a person with an even greater personality. He was one of the old guard finger lake charter captains who plied the waters of Seneca Lake for Lake Trout and other Salmonoids with the customary Seth Green Rigs and copper line tactics. He orginally piloted Penn Yann's monikered MATSU 1-4 and later had the Well Craft Cap & Lambie.

When the Salmon fishing exploded on the Great Lake's scene he was among the first, along with a hard core crew of finger lake captains, that moved their game to Lake O. When he first started docking at 4 C's Marine (then Norm's) at the Oak it was primarily a sail boaters marina. His trademark of blasting John Philip Sousa marches on the way out of the harbor on early morning charters did not endear him to the sailboat crowd. Blow off days would find him holding court in a corner of the 4-c's coffee shop with jokes and grand stories.

Rest In Peace Uncle Marv.

Thanks Squid for mentioning marv's passing.

Larry and i remember the Cap & Lambie boat (highest enclosed in vinal bridge at the time of 1980's for our area, Nautalis-pete Sheldon close 2nd.) as easy to spot offshore (300' of water) Remember this is the 1980's & 300 ft of water WAS OFFSHORE !! We called that boat "THE SPIDER" because of ALL the rods bent over off her stern & sides. Cap & Lambie looked like a spider coming down the flats to the nose.

R.I.P. with many GREAT memories of "THE OLD OAK FLEET"

RUNNIN REBEL

Jerry

Also Capt. Marv knew my wife's uncle Capt. Bob Cass of Seneca lake also back in the early days.

Gary,

Good times! We will ALWAYS remember those days when the Oak was a regular three ring circus every day from April thru September.... and the Ring leader was Capt Marv.... all my best to the family.... and rest in peace Marv...