24 ft. penn yan with hard top and tunnel drive

emptynet

I am looking for as much help and info I can get on this paticular boat, I think the price is really good, but I am unfamiliar with the tunnel drive. It is powered by the 350 5.7 liter.Is this a good boat? and also is this something that would be good for lake ontario? I am going to look at this after work so if anyone has any info, good and bad I would like to hear it.Thanks.

FWIW - I was just talking with a guy and he told me he fished with a guy who has a tunnel drive Penn Yan and it is very difficult to dock ALONE. He said you most definitely need two guys to put in in the slip due to steering issues in tight. One guy has to throw a rope around the post at the end of th eslip and actually pull the boat around to get it into the slip.

Clarke

Dear Emptynet, Let us know what year & model please. Most of the Penn Yann's are excellent boats for the chop on Lake Ontario and handle very well in rough seas. As a former owner of a 1975 22' tunnel, the docking of these single screw inboards must be PRACTICED just like any single screw inboard. You must have a QUALIFIED operator teach you the actual method of using reverse as only a brake or achieving stern swing. The rudder position has no effect in REVERSE. The rudder position only will give you control in forward gear. The stern will swing port when the gear is in reverse. After you practice a few times, practice some more! The biggest advantage of this setup is you don't have to spend buckets of money on I/O parts anymore! The shallow water operating ability is excellent for spring time shoreline fishing. And you can get a dock anywhere in shallow water! These bioats steer very easily @ trolling speeds and launch like a dream off a roller bunk trailer.

Boat condition is important when looking @ these old timers. The wood engine stringers and floor stringers must be examined carefully. Steering cables are very suspect along with the fuel lines and fill hoses. If this boat has steel tanks, be very cautious! Also the older engines are prone to dislike the new unleaded fuel and usually need modern heads and valves.

Now the good news! These older boats have very attractive prices!

Look @ them carefully and make notes! KNOW what you want to spend! Repairs to these old timers can get very costly. I.E. a pair of aluminum 12" X 72" tanks will run you $1000.00 (parts only)

#1 My best recommendation would be for you to have a prof. marine surveyor look at the boat(Std fee $500)

#2 See John Love at Arnies Marina for his examination/opinion(He also has some nice PY's for sale)

#3 Have this writer examine the boat and report! (approx.$100 or less depending on distance from Webster, NY

When you get more particulars or close up pictures, feel free to E mail me. lcornell@ frontiernet. net

Sincerely

Jet Boat Bill