Muzzle Loader Question

Jimmyi

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to purchase a muzzle loader. I've never owned one and I've never shot one. I like the thought of being able to hunt a few more days after the regular gun season closes. I heard that they have them now that shoot smokeless powder and they don't have to be cleaned after every shot like the black powder guns. Any suggestions as to what brand and caliber would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The smokeless powder is a good thing tho any muzzy should be cleaned for absulate accuracy and care after a few shots , not from the powder alone but more important the rifeling that gets fouled from lead and plastic...!!!!!!!!!! The above gun is good but the nipple hole is smaller on smokeless and great care is needed to be observed (on all muzzys) for proper discharge timing..

As you might of figured from a few of my post I Hunt and Fish with a passion (putting it lightly)..and have a few freinds who share stories and a dirty nipple hav caused a few moremissfires than i would want to hear about on the savage ,Not due to the gun but on the pretense that you can shoot many times without cleaning thus the dirty "nipple" all use a common denomanater =PRIMERS.....ant they are close to the nipple hole ,are massed produced,and due to the tight area in the nipple dont always fully burn with the extra junk plugging the passage....GET IT?? I like my Thompson (older encore) with the interchangable barrels .I have a scope on my 270 barrel and muzzy barrel in 5 min i go from a rifle to a muzzy with no accuracy lost and the triple 7 powder will clean up nice ..

powder load,,,,,, PROPER SHOT (ROUND WEIGHT) ,,,,,,AND A GOOD OLL MUZZY INSTRUCTER (SHOOTER) IS A MUST TO MATCH YOU UP WITH YOUR GUN!!!!!!my first load powder setup 6 years ago almost had my gun through the store window where i bought it ,till a oldtimer said hey try these and do this...Ive had 1.5 in groups at 100 yds ever sence ... and unless you have the instinct of a trained "sharpshooter"or a lead sled .Id rule out the 200 yd shots for a while tho up to 150 yds is very doable for the average shooter...

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few things that will help you a great deal in getting started if you have not yet. The powder Black horn 209 is great, it cleans up and shoots similar to smokeless but you use it like black powder in in-line 209 guns. You clean it with hoppes only after your done shooting for the day. My suggestion after looking around is find a Knight Disk extreme rifle, new or used, they are like a tank, Knight is in business again so you could buy a new one, but used (barley) ones go for around $125 on gun broker and they have green mount barrels, the only one that really compares is the TC, and they will be 4x the money but a great gun. Check the primer hole like the previous posted listed that its clean use a cutting torch cleaning wires to do this, and you can measure the size of the hole with these as well. Use barns bullets, the knight likes heaver bullets mine likes the 395 grain but many shoot the 350s good as well, use Federal 209 primers they are on the hot side of normal primers, don't use any special muzzle loader primers though they through everything else off. If you get hang fires call Knight there gun smith will tell you what size your flash hole needs to be to light the black horn 209 every time, and you can measurer it and get it drilled if its on the small side. Start with 110 grains measured and you will most assuredly be shooting less than 2 inch groups with no more work than that. I'm shooting with that load 1/2 groups at 100 and 7 inches groups at 200 yards with it.

PK

• 2 months later...

Wonderboy:

The sale and/or trade of any firearms or ammunition on this website are strictly prohibited. Items listed on this website that do not conform to the Terms of Service guidelines will be removed without notice and the user will be subject to removal of posting privileges. All users agreed to abide by these rules when they first signed up for an account.

L&M edit

• 2 weeks later...