Great season opener in VT!

flashpoint

Even though the weather was a bit on the warm side we have been seeing lots of bucks on the move! Lucky enough to take a 150 lb 7 point (busted up eight) with my 8 year old son by my side! Not my biggest buck, but my most memorable one yet!!

Logan_2010.jpg

Some nice bucks being taken with our new state management plan starting to show it's efforts. My neighbor who is 21 took this fine 198 lb nine point.

Kyle_2010.jpg

Good luck to all the rest of the fall! :)

Love how you share the weights. The body size can be as impressive as the racks. Chest measurement is a real good way to estimate weight. Congrats!!!!

I agree totally. body weight is the measure of a real trophy IMO. some areas don't support good antler development due to lack of nutrition, so body weight is a good gauge. Congrats on a real trophy :yes:

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the Kudo's....as they say It's all about the experience...& having my eight year old with me topped it off! He taked hunter safety next year....sooo needless to say he's hooked!!!

Vermont instituded an antler restriction about four years ago. Bucks have to have atleast two points on one side. Known as the "spikehorn" rule. It has def. improved the number of 2&1/2 old bucks we are seeing, but having a couple of mild winters has helped more then anything. Our greatest problem around here is loss of yarding habitat. Housing develpments & logging out cedar/hemlock stands has really cut back the available yarding areas that we really need when the snow gets deep.....

But I think in years to come, if mother nature cooperates, that our bucks will continue to get better.....just my $$.02!!

Any way...good luck to all....time to get out and hit some divers....& maybe dig the smole pole out!