discontinued patterns

slimyfish

you know what really bugs the machine?

companies that change or discontinue certain color combos for lures and such.

first rapala and storm discontinue their most productive patterns and in exchange

come out with people attracting patterns.

I cant find black edged spin doctors anymore(anybody help)

just venting...

black spray paint ?? ya got all winter ....i dont rember seeing one in a store sometimes they make a run to sorta test and maybe they didnt do so good? Maybe a large permanant marker would be a little more user friendly (no stink) hmm maybe ill touch a few with a marker this winter...

I hear you slimeyfish and I agree completely.

Frustrating when all I want is to pick up a half dozen original Rapalas in the tried & true black back with white belly and I find 57 different flavors to choose from -oh so pretty- in every wild color of the rainbow. Everything but what I wanted.

The problem with Rapala is they are now owned by the "Normark" conglomerate. They also acquired Luhr Jensen, and arrogantly discontinued most of the tried n true Kwikfish colors and came out with a bunch that must be easier to paint in China. This is why the Great Lakes companies like Dreamweaver and Atomik are so much better to deal with.

So I used to have some Killers:

1- a bright yellow Tad-polly with black & red spots (similar to the old flat-fish design)

1a - a bright yellow Tad-polly with painted silver Ldrbk

2 - a Bomber Long-A with a solid chartruse back & fl org belly - No stripes

3 - a real "cindy"

4 - wooden flatfish

;(

No wonder I run mostly metal nowadays. (BTW, love the DW SS)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I always explain these actions by companies this way. They are not fishing tackle companies, they are marketing companies who just so happen to market fishing tackle. It took me a while to figure this out in business and now I run a marketing company that markets landscaping. Simply put! As far as discontinued lures, spend an hour or two on bay and I am sure you'll find what your looking for or get someone to paint something similar. and of coarse you will moat likely find a few other must have lures in your search.

Mower

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Little Cleo used to make a silver belly, medium green back spoon with red spots and gold bars. I lost the one I had. A big brown took it from me and I have yet to see it in a search almost everywhere. Acme discontinued the color some time ago from what they tell me. I can honestly say it was one of the deadliest Cleos ever tied to my line. I have to go buy some paint and an airbrush I guess.

No doubt that we fishermen are all suckers. I'm just as guilty as the next guy. You see patterns that are soooo cool and I gotta have it. I'm pretty sure that the fish aren't amazed at the cool paint job. I spend an enormous amount of money every year on new spoons and I ALWAYS end up going back to the spoons that consistantly catch fish evry time out. I literally have about 1500 spoons I never run, but they were soooooo cool at the time of purchase.

I did hear a couple of years ago that if you wanted some of the "Cindy" Bombers, you only needed to order 300 of them. :o Luckily I found about a dozen or so a few years ago and they are hidden in the ground somewhere. You will need a treasure map to find them. ;)

Little Cleo used to make a silver belly, medium green back spoon with red spots and gold bars. I lost the one I had. A big brown took it from me and I have yet to see it in a search almost everywhere. Acme discontinued the color some time ago from what they tell me. I can honestly say it was one of the deadliest Cleos ever tied to my line. I have to go buy some paint and an airbrush I guess.

Speaking of Little Cleo changes, who here remembers when the back of the blank had an imprint of a topless mermaid/woman? Very nicely defined nipples I might add :o

I still have a couple that I regularly use...not worried about losing them, but I wonder if they are worth anything nowadays?

My fav discontinued lures are the original firetiger Jigging Rapala...now it's got some techno stripes instead of the bold, contrasting perch like pattern of the old design.

Also, Storm lures made a great 4 inch rattling pink worm that was deadly on steelhead, also discontinued :(

I'm sure there are more...and as some good lures become discontinued there are always new ones popping up to try out :clap:

Tony

I remember running out of Silver Bullit wit a bloody nose J-Plug, and going into Pulaski and just buying the plain silver bullit J=Plug. Then I went to the drug store and picking out some Red nail polish. Man, the looks I got! My son high tailed out of the store before I hit the register. Steve....... "Gotta do what ya gotta do!"

I have taken Stick baits and put them in a vice(gently)and drilled a hole about the size of a small split shot inserted the splitshot and sealed the hole with some marine caulk...preferably clear. Steve............

• 2 weeks later...