Chris's Smoker Gluten-Free Teriyaki Venison Jerky

momay4000

Here's my easy gluten free venison jerky recipe - I just made another batch and it reminded me to share it this year with you all. I am allergic to gluten, so this recipe is gluten free, but certainly regular soy sauce can be substituted for the gluten free soy sauce and it'll taste the same:

- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of venison cut WITH the grain in strips 1/4" in thickness (I use backstrap, but any cut can be used). Make sure all silver skin, fat, sinew, etc. is removed otherwise the meat will retain a "gamey" taste

Marinade:

- roughly 8-10 ounces of gluten free soy sauce (I use gluten free San-J)

- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar

- 1 tsp. black pepper

- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

- 1/2 tsp. onion powder

- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder

- one cup dry red wine (I use a good pinot noir or cabernet) - do not use a cheaper sweet red wine or the taste will be way too sweet.

Mix all the ingredients, add to the venison strips and soak 24-48 hrs. before smoking

- Smoke for 2-3 hrs. using ONE generous handful of hickory or apple wood chips. I I have found that adding too much wood makes the meat taste too bitter.I also like to smoke the meat on a cooler day b/c my Brinkman Electric does not have a thermostat control and otherwise gets a bit too hot.

Enjoy and good luck,

- Chris

Clarke,

Absolutely you can - but just as rshubuck said, add liquid smoke to the recipe (probably no more than 1 or 2 tsp. for a 2 or 2 1/2 lb. backstrap).

Also, I do not use Morton's TenderQuick in my recipes b/c I'm worried nitrites can cause cancer (it's a salty curing agent which contains nitrites to help in the curing process) so I always store my jerky in the fridge or freeze it to prevent spoilage. Honestly, a batch lasts no more than a week or so at my house so it's not really an issue. However, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving it at room temp. for a month like you can with store bought jerky.

Good luck - if you don't like the recipe as sweet, use less brown sugar. For my next batch I'm going to try adding a little Worchestershire sauce to the marinade......

- Chris