Looking at a new kicker

Misty IV

I've been contemplating the purchase of a new kicker for my Islander. The 1971 Johnson 6hp I currently run is an awesome engine and has never failed me. But, it is a short shaft model and a 2-stroke, so in anything over 1' seas, the prop is always coming out of the water. Definitely need a longer shaft. Have looked for the kits to make it a long shaft, but coming up empty-handed. I put way too many hours on the main engine this season because the Johnson was constantly coming out of the water in rolling seas.

So, been thinking of biting the bullet, retiring the Johnson to the rowboat at the house and going for a new(er) 4-stroke which I can tie into the boat's fuel system. I've heard so many compliments on the Yamahas. What are everyone's opinions on the available options from Mercury, Honda, etc. I'd like to remain loyal to OMC, but seems the Evinrude line stops at the 25hp (nothing smaller) and the Johnson line is discontinued?

Thanks for any and all input! Figure get started on this now over the winter rather than in spring when the shakedown run time has arrived.

Johnson has been discontinued. To my knowledge the Evinrude line-up is working down to smaller motors, they may have gotten to 15hp but they are all E-tecs, there are no 4-stroke Evinrudes. I personally don't have a prefernce among Mercury, Honda and Yamaha, Honda and Yamaha were into 4-strokes long before anyone else. I would but looking for a leftover model, there seem to be a few of those that appear on a regular basis.

Tag,

If you are looking at a new Honda kicker, Honda is offering 2.9% financing on all new outboards. Also, being from Media Pa. it would probably be worth driving to Delaware to save another 6% on sales tax.

Brian

Most newer 2 stroke outboards have systems where you no longer have to premix your fuel.That means that you can also hook the 2 strokes in your main fuel system.

This opens the door for a lot more choices you can make. It also means that you don't have to deal with a very heavy 4 stroke outboard.

I tested a 9.9 yamaha long shatf high out put at the end of the season last year. Needless to say I retired my old Marineer 9.9. If you are going to take the plunge I'd go big or go home. Get the controls at the helm, electric start and the charging system. Mine is being put on as we speak. Yamaha had a large rebate offer after thanksgiving which I believe goes until 1/1/2011. You'll be surprised how much more effecient it will be. I am running a 23 ft Larson (fiberglass) and it was no problem to push her at 3.5 mph into a 15 mph head wind.

Tag,

If you are looking at a new Honda kicker, Honda is offering 2.9% financing on all new outboards. Also, being from Media Pa. it would probably be worth driving to Delaware to save another 6% on sales tax.

Brian

I'd definitely make the drive south to Delaware. I'm only about 10 miles from the state line, so it'd be worth it. Plenty of dealers in the northern part of the state, as well, which is nice. There's a West Marine in New Castle which has the Mercury's on display and available. Others around the Wilmington area which sell all brands. Decisions, decisions...

Most newer 2 stroke outboards have systems where you no longer have to premix your fuel.That means that you can also hook the 2 strokes in your main fuel system.

This opens the door for a lot more choices you can make. It also means that you don't have to deal with a very heavy 4 stroke outboard.

That's nice to know. I'm a little concerned with the weight of the 4-strokes, but the Garelick bracket I have says it is rated for up to a 15hp engine. Is there a real noticeable difference between, say a standard 9.9 and a high-thrust 9.9? I know the gearcase ratios are different, but aside from that, is the thrust that noticeable from a standard model? I was thinking of going with an 8hp model, since my current 6hp does fine. However, once the winds pick up, perhaps that extra oomph would be nice.

I purchased this past year a new extra long shaft 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke with power tilt/trim and was worried about how to mount it to the transom. Well, I purchased an adventure marine fixed mount and it is awesome. It has been in use this past season and I would buy this setup again. The link is attached...

https://www.adventuremarine.net/product ... &do=detail

I have 9 years on a 9.9 Yamaha Long Shaft HT 4 stroke kicker which has performed flawlessly for that time, however it has a hard time keeping up with all the electronics, stereo, & Bigjon Brutes with it's 6 amp alternator. I have to monitor my system voltage & adjust accdordingly as the day goes on.

I am putting a 2011 8 hp Honda on my new boat this Spring, the Honda is the only engine with a decenrt alternator (12Amps).

I am also installing a battery management system ( for the starting & house batteries) that looks at both batteries & keeps them topped off as required with either or both engines running (225 Honda main power & the 8 hp kicker). The system will allow both at the same time or one or the other to work to keep the batteries topped off.

You cant go wrong with a Yammy, if you don't need a lot of charging power.

Good luck!

My vote would be Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. I currently have a 1998 on a 22' Lund, and it has been great. I also fish with a couple of friends with Honda's and they run great, however, they are a lot tougher to get precise throttle control and we all know. speed is everything!!

I can adjust my speed within 10ths of a knot, in my buddies 22 islander/ 8hp honda we are fighting to get within 1/2 a knot. Also true with a 20' Grady/ honda 9.8. The grady owner switched from Yamaha to Honda and speed adjustment was his only rub.

Just my opinion.

Not sure why people you know are having trouble with the speed adjustment, as I use a tachometer & trollmaster & can hold the speed at any level I want with either motor & my X-4, I am hitting 2.6 MPH consistantly as a down speed with the trollmaster & Tachometer. The tachometer shows exactly how much the kicker RPM's change as you adjust the Trollmaster. If these folks don't have a Tach, they should get one so they can solve their problem.

If you are using the twitst grip throttle to control the kicker speed, of course you would struggle.

Go with a trollmaster & Tachometer & you can dial it right in!!!!!!!!

Holy Mackerel Batman!!

I have to say whatever ya do go with above post and bite the bullet with good remote throttle control nuttin worse than jumping over crew or stuff to correct speed.

Hindsite and 1000's of trips to the tiller will put that item on my wish list. Trust me spare a weeks worth of wifes makeup and get the throttle control....I hear home depot has some good paint you could dump in her makeup jar..(dont forget the paint remover).

Ps .. throttle controls speed not mfg. i can trim my honda to whatever i want (under 6mph) and if i want to save a little hopping to the tiller for u to .2mph ill put the main moter in reverse the extra prop drag will slow the boat that much.

I've run Yamaha high thrust four strokes on my last two boats,and they are an awesome motor.I had a 9.9 on my Trophy,and now have a T8, 8 HP elec.start,with power tilt and remote controls at the helm,on my Seacraft.

It runs like a watch,and is extremely quiet,and sips fuel.I love the power tilt, just hit the button on either the control box or on the outboard and up it comes.

I also have it mounted on an Adventure marine fixed mount,which in my opinion, is far superior to any of the adjustable mounts.With the power tilt ,a push of the button brings the motor completely out of the water when it's time to run with the main engine.

The 8 horse pushes my boat like a charm and the boat weighs over 5,000 lbs.I put a lot of constant run time on them and they never missed a beat.

High thrust is the way to go,they not only have a different prop,but a different gear ratio as well.They are designed to push heavy loads such as sailboats,so they are better in the push department than a standard motor.

Yamaha is one of the most popular kickers on the water,but Honda's are sweet as well,I don't think you'd go wrong with either.The Honda does have a higher capacity alternator on it.I'd go with the one that has a dealership within range,just in case you ever need service that you can't do yourself.

I also have a 9.9 Yamaha I like it. I have owned 2 Merc 4 strokes as well, I advise staying away from them the Yamahas and hondas seem to be of higr quality in my opinion. But most of all spend the extra 200 bucks and get a digital throttle controller they are awesome and it saves you from having to buy forward controlls. I like the 4 strokes but most of all I like the precision throttle control!!

TD

I added a Yamaha 8 Hp High Thurst this year . Great motor ! I fish solo a lot and can't imagine not have the controls at the helm . Fishing Lake O between the wind and current you'll always be adjusting the speed . Good Luck ! JT

Picture_017.jpg

It looks to me like the consensus is either a Yamaha or Honda high thrust 4 stroke...I own a T8 and while I rarely use it on my Lund it's been reliable and efficient. I also agree that the remote steer/Trollmaster combo is fantastic if you can afford the upgrade.

Rude makes a 15HO now, very heavy but I guess it's a great kicker. They have some neat features on them.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Engines/E ... ETEC_15_HO

Wow, that is a nice unit! It is heavy, but like a lot of the features, especially the alternator output ratings. Anyone know when Evinrude is planning on making the smaller outboards, like the 6hp's, 8hp's, 9.9's, etc? Since Johnson had that piece of OMC's market but are discontinued, figured Evinrude would have to pick up the line sometime. But, as of right now, yes, seems like all opinions are leaning towards the Yamahas or Hondas. Thanks for all the input & replies thus far! :clap:

mine is a yamaha 9.9 high thrust, w.o.t. 6.2 mph trolls anywhere from .3 to 5.remote control and power trim and tilt on mikes custum mount.have spent some time on boats with honda eights and would agree you won't go wrong with either.my kicker comes out of the water in threes.only time i've run one of the mains was fishing crosswise in strong wind and turning was tough.gas is off main tank,tied to my charging system and linked to the auto-pilot.

The small 4 strokes that Johnson made were actually Suzuki motors I used to have the 9.9 4 stroke, it was a poor excuse for a kicker motor in comparison to the T-8 or mercury's pro kicker. I'm running a 9.9 Pro Kicker now, 3 seasons of ALOT of trolling 2-4 days per week from March till December...not one problem yet, it's awesome.

The problem with Evinrude is they are hanging there hat on 2 stroke, the new 15HO kicker is pretty much a 25HP motor just de-tuned a little bit. I know some pro staffers who ran them for the 2010 season, they love them but dang they are huge, the tiller model has a button for troll mode to increase or decrease RPM, elminating the need for a trollmaster, works great on walleye tourney style boats for not so much in your case.

I think you would be very happy with the yamaha, one thing to consider is dealer support and price, both will suite you great.

I'll just chime in my vote for Yamaha's.

We have an F8 on our 22' Chris Craft I/O. No reason to have any bigger or pay for the HT. If a standard will push our heavy fiberglass, it should have no problem on your aluminum.

As far as mounting it, I have always backed the Garlick brackets. We had one on our last boat, same F8, and it was a dream to get out of the water. Actually had to use more force getting it down. Up was mostly just unlock it and stand back. Not to mention if you mount it right you don't have to worry about tilting the motor. Ours was up and down no more.