Shot Placement ??

ray koziatek

Ok cabin feaver time , actually with the snow its perfect hunting time but i stuck my hand up too many times this year and now i gotta finish some big jobs ,,wiffy is retired so i cant even sneak out for a sick day. :lol: actually as soon as i finish last couple loose ends we can both play...(NOT THAT).

My brother in law who gave me my first bow and shotgun years ago turned me into a avid (anal) hunter..well he tends to have a few years of dryspells and when a respectable 9 pt (2.5 yr) walks within 50 yds he drops it in its tracks with a 300 in the shoulder um both shoulders ,he explained thats how the guys on TV do it..Well if your shooting a 5yr old cactus eating trophy rack in 70 deg weather i guess meat ant yer main concern..

6 yrs agoi bought my first muzzy and ive improved my "hunting" 100% due to the knowlage one shot was pretty much had to count ,tho i can reload with the speed of a civil war soldier..

Ive had the good luck of hitting the heart on several deer in the past 6 years between NY and IN. and none have gone more than 30 yds some 30 ft or less. the others have been double lungs and a 60 yd run has been the longest.

If im lucky enuf to see the deer i know is in a secret spot ill go for the lungs or heart enuf said on that spot...now i also hunt a swampy spot and the buck is over 200 lbs in that area i might consider the shoulder to shorten the drag and spare me and the cape

and 1 ft water drag.

So if your going for meat id say the "kill zone"behind the shoulders should be your aim,unless yer on the edge of land you cant retrive on..or its a smasher you want to drop in its tracks..

Here in PA the late flintlock is my favorite season of all ! I have a T/C Hawken that i made in high school and have harvested a good many whitetails with it using 100 grains of 2f powder and a patched roundball .I've always targeted the boiler room and never had them go too far 30 yd s max however i have shot a few in the neck and high in the shoulders that tipped them over right there with minimal damage to hide and meat 'course it is a flint lock and i'm sure the ballistics vary quite a bit from an inline .

In over 25 year of hunting deer I've never aimed AT the shoulder, not that there's anything wrong with it. The crease right behind the shoulder is and has always been my focal point, that way a shot left or right of 5" and your still enjoying " backstrap fever baby" "where have we seen this before"

I have probably taken close to 40 deer in my 20 years of hunting and have made several different shots on them but the ultimate best shot is broadside behind the shoulder but having said that, I have taken many shoulder shots and they do work well depending on the direction the deer is facing but I always try for the behind the shoulder shot first. I have also shot a few deer straight on in the chest and it put them down fast but definetly not my first choice. I consider myself to be a very good shot and always have a lot of confidece when I pull the trigger but for a new hunter I always tell them to do just a behind the shoulder shot. It all depends on the situation and and how well of a shot you are I think but never take a crappy shot just because it is the only one you have, just let it walk there is nothing worse than wounding a deer it kind of gives you a sick feeling at least it does to me.

With gun of course, double shoulder puts 'em down for the count. Piles them up them in their tracks. I like to try for tight behind shoulder in the crease if I am not worried of them running too far and not damage much meat.

OMG Lil Gray, you sound like your old man!!!! Tell the guys who don't know you how old you are... you little redneck :lol:

When i meat hunt, i mean doe hunt "no sense shooting a little buck" I honestly take the head shot and as close to the road as possible, I took two this year and well it obviously puts them down hard and no waste ever! And it adds a little extra challange

Being a bit red/green color blind I prefer the deer to drop on the shot. I've seen deer run a fair (up to 100 yards) distance when shot thought the heart or the lungs. I've also seen many that left little or no blood trail. Every deer I've ever shot with a high shoulder shot has dropped in it's tracks There is also very little meat damage if you are high on the shoulder as the upper shoulder bone is quite thin.Certainly less lost meat then if one runs off into thick cover and is lost, even though it died. We all have spent many hours searching for deer that we knew were well hit and it can be a stressful time. I prefer that they drop in their tracks.