Huge muskie caught on St. Lawrence River

Huge muskie caught on St. Lawrence River

Published: Sunday, December 05, 2010, 7:23 AM

David Figura/The Post-Standard

9095736_large.jpg

As the weather gets colder and more miserable, the muskie fishing on the St. Lawrence River just keeps getting better, according to Todd Cerow, of the 1,000 Island Bait Store in Alexandria Bay.

This week, Todd sent me this picture of Eddy Beers, who caught his mammoth, 59-inch muskie that weighed in unofficially at 56 pounds. Beers was a client on Bob Walter's charter boat.

The fish was caught on Nov. 30 trolling with a BergerKing lure which is a Believer and a Williams spoon, Cerow said. It was hooked near 40 Acre shoals by Wolfe Island.

"They tried to release the fish as all guides do, but apparently the fight was just to much for the fish and they had to pull it back out of the water, " Cerow said. " I have this fish in my freezer at the store, waiting for the taxidermist."

Another dead 1000 island musky! Big fish, but people in the islands seem to "wack" a few monsters to take home every year it seems. Solgrande- you see the rig used to catch it? The famous "Berger King" rig! In the end its just another dead fish in an area that has been hit hard from VHS. I looked at the other pics and its crazy how much different the fish looks just by holding it different. In the TIbait shop pic it looks huge but not in the original pic. I wonder how hard they really tried to release it w/ how cold the water is? But then again, the guy isn't even wearing a coat?

I was going to make a comment about the fish ending up in the freezer but held my tongue. Here is what I know...cold water equals a subdued fish that doesn't fight as hard and gets to the boat more quickly and is certainly easier to release than a similar fish caught during summer, or even early fall. I also saw pics with two different anglers which could mean too long out of the water...then again one could have been taken after they tried to release it. Only they know what really happened, but I do know that fish won't be helping to rebuild the fishery or passing along it's proven DNA ever again.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I don't want to get in the middle of this but I do know Bob pretty well as he was the one that took my father under his wing when he was guiding up there a few years back. Bob is very serious about protecting the fishery up there and I'm sure they did everything possible to release the fish. They would even utilize the wash down pump to keep any fish on deck wetted down, especially around the head/gills area. As far as their apparel goes, it was a high of 55 that day and the heated cabin is only steps away. Just my $.02, take it for what is worth.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything or start something. i know most up there are very good about catch photo release, but I also know perspectives can change when the fish of a lifetime is in the clients hands,be it wanting to keep or even get that one or two extra picture...the guide relies on those fish for his livelihood so I have no doubt about his ethics

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Bob Walters has a passion un-matched by any I know in a Musky hunter. I would believe there to be a more than ample amount of time in giving this huge fish all the chance it could possibly be given.

Anyone can pass judgment but when it boils down to first hand experience with the likes of one's attitude, concerned with a certain passion, it makes for a pretty easy call to feel Bob truly did do his best to save this fish.

I know at times through my last 20+ years of experience being around various anglers who cut up 40 lb. Kings or Browns and Steelies weighing high 20's, this leads us to feel the same way about all.

Just not the case with Bob. I actually witnessed a call from The Fish Doctor Ernie to Bob 4 or 5 years ago when news was traveling about VHS, Bob was helping us with Net Pens at the time as he often donated space for our pens. Bob was hit hard with the news from Ernie, he was quiet for hours, I felt his passion first hand like a lost pet or a child from a parent.

Just a thought

Tom

Another dead 1000 island musky! Big fish, but people in the islands seem to "wack" a few monsters to take home every year it seems. Solgrande- you see the rig used to catch it? The famous "Berger King" rig! In the end its just another dead fish in an area that has been hit hard from VHS. I looked at the other pics and its crazy how much different the fish looks just by holding it different. In the TIbait shop pic it looks huge but not in the original pic. I wonder how hard they really tried to release it w/ how cold the water is? But then again, the guy isn't even wearing a coat?

Zach, i work for Capt. Bob on The Waterwolf...i can assure you that every effort is made to successfully release every musky that is caught on our boat! We are out there trying to grow world record class fish, and killing them is counter productive for these efforts? Yes, it's true, this monster fish rolled up in the steel leader...and cut it's own gills during battle. Wash down pump trick, and repeated attempts to revive it in the water were made, to no avail....

Every other fish caught this season made it back safe to grow! It was the only one that didn't.

How many musky have you caught that you released? :P

Capt. Darryl Raate

Congrats are in order for Mr Beers & Capt. Walters for a great catch! A true catch of a lifetime! Especially in the St. Lawrence River. I do hope they get the fish aged etc. I believe this one will be older than 30!! I am sure that they gave their best in trying to revive this big guy also. Again, Congratulations for a fine catch.

Respectfully submitted,....Jet Boat Bill

P.S. Muskies like this still exist, Their was the Ed Barbosa Monster released on the Ottawa, a few years ago for starters....and Muskies/Canada used to give out an award for the most released in a year....Met the fellow in Ontario....one year.....100+ big muskies released and he lost his boat and almost his life at a power dam on the Ottawa.....fishing for Muskies!!