Savage ML2

Missdemeanor

Well I finally bought a Savage ML2 muzzleloader. I have been looking into this gun for a while now and finally made the purchase. savage has discontinued the thier muzzloader line and have gone more with thier centerfire rifle line.

Anyway I sighted the gun in the other day and man...what a shooter! 1 inch groups at 100 yards.....I know, no big deal but I shot it at 200 and it was still on the money with only about 3 inch drop. Like cromeslayer says..... A tack driver. I cant wait to dump one with it....Happy hunting!

Bruce.....I Never doubted you for a second. I Never thought I'd give up My 870 ( aka Dr. Kevorkian) but I gotta say the savage is Just crazy....zero recoil. The guy at Biekerks says that the guns now go for close to a grand since the announcement. Ray the only way those guns blow up are when dumbasses try to load too much powder. 43 grains is all you need.....hopefully I can smoke somthing thursday or friday....god help the first big doe I get a crack at....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Bruce.....I Never doubted you for a second. I Never thought I'd give up My 870 ( aka Dr. Kevorkian) but I gotta say the savage is Just crazy....zero recoil. The guy at Biekerks says that the guns now go for close to a grand since the announcement. Ray the only way those guns blow up are when dumbasses try to load too much powder. 43 grains is all you need.....hopefully I can smoke somthing thursday or friday....god help the first big doe I get a crack at....

A guy in our hunting party had 1 last year and I never looked at it . What am I missing 43 gr. of powder ? I using 100 gr. of pyrodex and a 250 gr. Barnes Expander with Deadly results. How can 43 gr. be enough powder :question::question:

Shoot straight and report back to us please. Maybe a new smoke poll is in order

The Savage shoots all the regular loads of Pydrodex , Black powder, and triple seven. The difference between the Savage and other in line muzzle loaders is, the Savage can shoot Smokeless rifle powder. The same stuff that is in Shot gun shells and rifle cartridges. With this powder, all that is needed is 43 to 45 grains depending on what grain projectile. I use a 250 grain T/C super glide sabot ballistic tip with 43 grains.

On the instructional video I got with the gun, a guy shot a 3/8 inch steel plate at 100 yards with 150 grains grains of pyrodex. He put a significant dent. The guys cleaned the gun and then fired 45 grains of smokeless with the same projectile, same distance. The bullet made a perfect pass through of the steel plate......Awesome to say the least.

With the lower amount of powder with the smokeless, comes less recoil...Kinda like shooting a .20 gauge.

Here is a site I found to be pretty good on the Savages....http://randywakeman.com/savage3.htm

Hope this answers some questions and hopefully I can show some actual handy work

Not to be redundant to someone knowledgeable about loading a muzzy, but with the extra pressures of smokeless powder anyone shooting one wants that projectile snugged against the charge for sure. I'm not sure what burn rate the manufacturer recommends for a particular bullet since I haven't shot one or seen one. I think some folks have been experimenting with different smokeless powder and opened pandora's box for disaster and caused some problems. There are so many different smokeless powders out there that it is virtually impossible to keep someone from using a powder not recommended due to dangerous pressures....thus the uniformity of 777, pyrodex, and other pellet brands has kept experimentation down to maybe loading more than magnum 150 grain charges to get that extra BOOM.

So Someone could get 43 grains of IMR 4350 (sticks) to work and then switch to H450 (spherical) and possibly cause a pressure problem.

What does the instructions recommend for smokeless powder use? On one shooting forum there were some reports of guns blowing up but that was most likely to some loading error....it just gets more pronounced with smokeless pressures when hooking a few grains on the high side of maximum and substituting burn rates. Be careful and shoot straight! most of all have fun.

Mark

Mark....All the guys I know that use the Savages use the IMR powder. I also use this powder. Two of my buddies have been shooting the same loads for 5 years and have had no problems. 43 grains of IMR and the T/C bullets. I also found that the federal 209 primers to be the best....Thanks for the input....

That Savage is an incredible gun! I am addicted to smokeless muzzy's.

If you have the cash I would highly reccomend the New Ultra Light Arms Muzzy made by Melvin Forbes in WV. I no longer use a slug gun and went to only a muzzleloader. I get incredible groups with this gun (see attached) I easily get MOA accuracy out to 200 yrds. Honestly this is normal accuracy with this gun. Laker Taker was with me one day when I shot a sub MOA group at 150 yrds off the bench and I am no Audie Murphy. In fact it's the most accurate gun I own. The load I am using is 44 grs of SR 4759 and a 275 gr Parker Ballistic extreme. This load was chronographed right at 2375fps at the muzzle. Killed a doe this year at 190yrds (ranged). It's a great gun to carry, with the scope its right at 7lbs. The nicest part is the cleaning, is just like a rifle. It's costly but I always wanted a custom smokeless muzzy. It's something I can hand down to my kids someday...... at least thats what I told my wife. She didn't buy it though. :beer:

Dan

NULA275_PBE44_4759.jpg

NULA.jpg

Danjr, is the blue tape covering up the bad shots. :devil:;) .The DEC didn't see that coming when they set up the BP season.I started out with a T/C Renagaid p/b 100 gr.pirodex, now I use 100gr.tripple 7 and 223 gram power belts and a peep sight,My son gave me his 45 cal.CVA kodak mag.with 2-7 scope because he liked to hunt with his T/C 54 cal. It just don't feel like B/P hunting with the modern guns.Good luck the rest of the season. :yes: .

W.W.IV that's funny! I thought of that when I posted it as well. If I remember right I was shooting my slug-gun and 300 win mag. that day and wanted to save some targets. If I really wanted to I could have made that group smaller with some more blue tape :D No guff, that was for real and the gun shoots like that all the time. Far better than I can.

I agree the DEC didn't see the smokeless mls coming either. However I do not see them changing things. In fact, I think they are getting even more liberal with the new rifle laws passing and the new crossbow law. I look at it this way, the best way I can kill a deer quickly and cleanly the better. I do miss hunting with my Dads TC rengade with 2F BP and 385gn Hornady great plains bullets. The smoke after the boom and the smell are implanted from when I was a kid! Good luck to you as well! Stay warm out there!

Well.....here is My field report on the savage...devestating! Smoked a doe the other day and ray Charles could have followed the short blood trail. I'm going to have a Hard time going back to the 870. Bruce hooked up...Thanks again for the invite

FINNALY ya hit something with the first shot....Knowing ya better be good with the first one and ""WAITING" for the good placement can be as nerveracking as bowhunting at times...I love the long shots and tried to make some shots a sniper would cringe at this year with the 270,Guess what im saying is DON'T get overconfident in yer skills specially when ya get my age and the old eyes sorta filter out some of those smaller twigs (2 friggin inch trees too :@ ).... Good for you ..

FINNALY ya hit something with the first shot....Knowing ya better be good with the first one and ""WAITING" for the good placement can be as nerveracking as bowhunting at times...I love the long shots and tried to make some shots a sniper would cringe at this year with the 270,Guess what im saying is DON'T get overconfident in yer skills specially when ya get my age and the old eyes sorta filter out some of those smaller twigs (2 friggin inch trees too :@ ).... Good for you ..

You don't have to try making long range shots to miss! Last night I had 5 does around me in an Alder thicket. Some of the skippys got around down wind of my stand and the whole bunch got uneasy. I was trying to get a clear shot at the biggest doe and when they got uneasy I felt compelled to go w/ a quickly lined up dead on chest shot at 20 yds. Kaboom but no deer! I'm standing there trying to figure this out and I see the thick shattered branch that was right in front of my barrel as I looked thru the unobscured scope. I don't think even this smokeless steroid enhanced Savage you guys are talking about would have helped a bone head like me out of that priceless maneuver. :o