hudge 8pt wayne county in full velvet /better pic

skeeter

wow that is weird wild stuff!! awesome buck!!!!

Usually if you kill a buck this time of year in velvet means its a doe with antlers. But those types are usually spikes and this no spike

Thats true... Double J (on this board) myself and a few guys were hunting in New Brunswick Canada and he shot a big 4 pt in velvet doe!! I'll try to find a pic.. cool big ass deer right there :yes::yes: congrats

Thats my little brother. He has shot some big deer , but when he walked up he was thinking he shot comet or dancer or vixen not many other deer in full velvet this time of year that we know of :D . ill run the doe idea across him tomorrow i think its still hanging in his garage at the moment, but i cant c him missing this feild dressing it. Just as impressive was the weight.

Get_Attachment.jpg

maybe he found a big "POT" plot got so messed up he couldnt care less about mateing and ate everything in sight... "like the wood spyder"...Hope you get some upclose shots and get the dec involved to hook ya up with some good research......HEY you ant sneeking in near the nuclear plant..???? any noticable size or shape differance of his ""doowacky" or danglers.???

Awesome picture - "Goin deep" is correct,

Shedding of the velvet is dependent on testosterone levels - consequently when a buck's testosterone level starts to rise in the early summer, it will shed the velvet very fast. If it never rises and remains very low, it will always retains its velvet.

My guess is he damaged his testicles or they never developed right to begin with, thus he has a low testosterone level. If he has a sack - he's a buck, but maybe his beans were damaged or really small.......

Awesome deer!!!

- Chris

Awsome deer, never heard of a buck still in velvet in december. Very cool!!! I always wondered if you can preserve the velvet on the rack if you mount the deer head, any one know? You hear alot about people taking mule deer out west with velvet still on but I am sure it's due to early seasons. Never heard of a whitetail around here with it on this late, the hormone thing makes a lot of sense though.

sweet buck man!! we were doin some drives a few years ago at the end of season an my dads buddy shot a 6pt still in velvet. it was pretty cool so we flip it over to gut it an it had girl parts!! apparently it happens every so often like a bearded lady lol he got it mounted with the velvet still on i dunno how they preserve it. i dont really like the mount though its got its head all turned around licking a branch..def not what i would choose for somethin sweet like that!

I was told that a buck that doesn't shed it's velvet could be the result of him damaging his reproductive organs.

Brian

Brian is correct. When bucks lose their testicles or the hormones they produce, they will retain velvet. I usually see two or three a year come through the taxidermy studio from all areas of the country. I seriously doubt that deer is a doe as it has no "doe" features. Most likely a "denutted" buck and a TERRIFIC trophy!

Congrats!

the buck actualy had his man parts just smaller than they shld have been . damaged some how. waiting on better pics to come .will post as soon as possible.the deer actualy was at the taxidermist with in 4 hrs to try to preserve the velvet wich was still alive. i was actualy in my stand when he came in after 4 doe had just come bye so he was still on the hunt

Nice buck! A guy I know shot a buck with a really decent rack near Rush a couple years ago that was also in full velvet. I haven't seen the final mount, but I guess that it's a cool conversation piece.