electric ice auger

jcolema3

has anyone used any of these battery powered augers, i have an uncle who wants one cause he can't use a manual one and the gas ones are to hard for him to operate and drag around. i have also looked at the adapters that you can attach to a regular auger with a cordless drill, has anyone tried out this combo? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I did some research on these over the weekend at the syracuse ice fishing show, i hear good things but get a 24 v one not the one that attaches to a drill. also if u use a 4 wheeler and ur battery dies u can hook up to that

he just uses a sled to get out onto the ice, i checked out a couple of them at the ice show too. either way i will let his kids know they're the ones looking to get him one for christmas, so they're trying to get my advice, and truefully if i like it i'll have to get one myself.

Well J ,I've been using a 18v drill for the last three seasons and it works fine for me on say 10-12" of ice,after that it eat up batteries, its a 6" auger and it might need sharpening.I use a DeWalt drill and there not cheep, you need one that locks in drill mode so it doesn't slip.Also they can be hard on the wrist if the auger binds up,you should buy a drill that stops as soon as you let go of the trigger.I'd want to try out one of those elect.24v. augers before I laid out $400, it might not handle any better than the gas auger. Good luck and be safe. :)

If you go over to the Iceshanty site and do some looking under the Icegator thread or under the "ice augers" child board, there are a number of concerns with their quality and dependability. I know that sometimes a few vocal people can make something appear to be worse than it is, but it's still probably worth looking at the threads. Also, the advertised weight of the auger is minus the batteries and the final weight was more than I expected...upgrading to the lithium battery to save weight is unbelievably expensive (~$800 last year!). I'd love to see one of these in action on the ice and form my own opinion, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig.

I'll second the comment as to the Nils. I don't own one, but they are butter smooth. Only drawback is that the chromium blade replacement is >$70 for a hand auger. The only place I've seen the 8" Nils available lately is RedRockStore, but I think Fish307 has some 6" models left (I'm thinking of buying one this year). Last year I had a guy on Honeoye show me that a Nils and an 18V power drill is a killer combination...

No sweating here just 12 turns and you are thru 6inches, I sweated more starting the gas auger.

Hey still getting them in BOQ

A 6 inch auger isnt a problem f you are going for panfish, Start whacking 10 in holes for trophy walleye. Yes Headed to the Bay this weeke to fish hardwater

My uncles daughter and husband are going this weekend looking for one they live in the Rochester area, other than the national chains where else out that way should they look for one. They don't do much outdoors and there fore don't know their way around the sport shops out tha way.

oh and regardless of what they get it will be in use on the pond soooooo if someone wants to see it in action just let me know where to have my uncle and me meet you.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Well This is a great question. Consider a few things. The drill attached ones are very limited and are prone to cold. Thus limiting the # of holes you can drill.

12v augers luimit the # of holes that you can drill and are short on power for the days with thicker ice.

I Professionally use a 24v system by Icegator http://www.icegator.com/ and from my experiences we have been able to get 200 holes in an outing.

By all means electric is a wise chaice. Easier on your shoulders and more efficient on your time.