Issue with .243 cal. for deer

landingzone

Since I could now use a rifle in some of the areas that I hunt, I decided to try my .243 cal because it was the largest rifle I currently own. I took the 10X scope off the Sako .243 and replaced it with a 3-9X. After researching suggestions of others, I settled on 100 gr. Remington Core-Lokt shells. They sighted in nicely and off I went. I eventually got a good shot at a nice doe at about 70 yd. When I went to the area, there was no blood to be found, but the deer lay dead about 15 yd. away. There was no blood visible on either side of the deer and I could not see an entrance or exit wound. Gutting the deer showed the top half of the heart blown off. I did not see the bullet.

I know some say the .243 is marginal for deer while others say it is fine. My concern is with the lack of blood trail, it could be very difficult to find a deer that didn't drop close to where it was shot. Anybody else have similar experiences, or suggestions for a different load?

Thanks, Dick

243 will get the job done obviously, but it is a light caliber for big game. The lack of blood probably didn't have a allot to do with the caliber. I shot a big boy Sunday morning with a TC omega 250gr shockwave and blew a hole through his lung and liver you could put your fist through and he walked 5-600 yards with absolutely not one drop of blood to the point where he stopped an :yes: d piled up in a tree. Sometimes it happens but I would recommend a bigger caliber for deer.

Try going to the "Premium" bullets like Nosler Partition or some of the newer Barnes bullets. Remington Core lokt's are "bottom of the barrel" rounds. As you saw they work but...... Federal and Winchester both offer Premium ammo with your choice of bullets. You'll pay heavily for them but they are worth it. I shoot Federal Premium 160 gr. Nosler Partitions out of my 7 mm Mag and WILL NOT shoot anything else. At $3 a shell you won't be unloading on every deer you see either... :o . But, then again, you won't need to.

For me the deadliest rifle is the one you shoot best. I choose to shoot a lever 30/30 because the gun fits me perfect and there is negligble recoil. The new Horandy soft tip bullets shoot great. If you shoot the 243 well, why change? Sometimes with higher hits, the blood pools in the sternum and there is not much of a blood trail. It does not sound like your doe went far enough to start spewing. With that being said, I agree with Paul.....there are better bullets available. Federals make a product you would be hard pressed to hand load better.

I own a 243 wssm..... and although it is slightly hotter than the win 243 I have never had a problem with it.... I only use it when I hunt fields (not that its not just fine elsewhere, I just like to switch it up though out the season). I shoot 100gr powerpoint from winchester and out of the 20 or so deer I have killed with it I have never had one go more than 10 yds.... the fact that there was no blood or exit I think was that particular shot... I have shot deer out well over 300 yds with it and have had them drop right in their tracks... I usually shoot right behind the sholder in the ribs....

no or little blood is common with a rifle ,yer gun will knock em dead all day long,the 243 will shoot great groups (most )...but as you see if it ant a heart or back shot the deer will go a long ways....ive double lunged 2 bucks this year with my muzzy 250 gr tips and both went in excess of 60 yds the one today had 2 quick spots of blood and almost nuthin for the next 50 yds in snow both were a tad high as mentioned above..a poor tracker or lack of snow might have been a lost deer...back to yer rifle i would not plan a trophy trip with that small of calaber it will do but on small patches of private land or diffacult trackin conditions you might regret it, not to mention a bad shot..,,40 years ago i heard some kids :lol: shot many deer with .22cal before they got their shotguns and they never lost one ....a .270 will allow you to bump up yer weight a tad ,if money is a issue just keep a good shot your only shot and youll be ok ,,,,,But????

If you shoot the heart and it can't pump, it can't pump out blood. I carry a 45-70 loaded heavy nearly all the time. I've killed nearly a dozen with it and 3 have been heart shots with no blood. 2 of them basically went a couple yards and stood there stupid-like and the other ran across the field and crashed at the hedgerow. Walked over to the hedgerow and he was in sight. I typically try to shoot everything through the ribs if possible and exit holes can fit a baseball. I've done the same with my 30-06.

I own two 243's but have never shot a deer with that caliber though. Still I would not sweat it. Whichever bullet/cartridge you choose, I would not go lighter than 100 grains in any bullet brand/style. I would look for a bullet with good expansion but not too much so you don't get a pass-through shot.

Good luck,

I've killed them with a 270, 30-06, 30-30, shotgun, .50cal muzzleloader, 357 Max pistol and a bow. They all work when they hit the right place. Your deer only traveled 15 yards after being heart shot. Sounds like the gun and bullet worked flawlessly. Who cares about a blood trail when they only go 15 yards. That said, I have used Remington core-lokts in my 243 and they seem to work fine. I've also had good luck with Federal Fusion 100 grains.

Everything I've ever shot them with has at times left me with deer that left absolutely no blood trail. That's why it's so important to assume a hit on every deer shot at.

I have used my .243 for antelope, mule deer and whitetailed deer. Even with a 300 yd shot on a mule deer they all dropped within sight. I reloaded with Sierra 100 gr. boattails. Idid have one case however, where my son shot a deer with it and the bullet did not exit and the blood trail was thin. The deer didn't go more than sixty yds anyway. Since I'm older now and a little hard of hearing and my shoulder aches all the time anyway, I use my favorite rifle, a Sako in 300 WM.

High Bidder

Well, I'll give you my 2 cents on this; The common issue w/ the .243 for deer is the relatively low lbs of knock down force (in a ballistics chart this called "Energy").It's this 'force' or "Energy" that creates the instantaneous shock value and trauma associated w/ 'knockdown'. Typically people try to overcome this w/ a hotter load but this can very easily lead to unexpanded pass thru, especially under 80yds. I do think you might want to move up to 130 grains but I wouldn't go over that, unless you are going to be doing a lot of longer range hunting. A .243 in capable hands (and it sounds like yours are!) is a perfectly fine deer rifle and I would not hesitate to hunt w/ one for a minute. As others have suggested I think you would have better results w/ the Federal 'Noslers' .

My personal favorite for deer hunting is the 7mm Mag, and I have had few deer move very far if at all after getting whacked by this round because it's got tremendous energy which if coupled w/ correct expansion leads to massive wound trauma and instantaneous shock value. That being said I used to see a fair number of deer I shot w/ hot .270 loads take right off w/ little blood on the outside.

No matter what caliber you use you will eventually see a wide variation in the way the bullet wound affects the deer, especially on 'classic' broad side shots behind the shoulder under 80yds. -Andy

Deer went 15 yards, found dead, nuff said! I used a 6mm for years when whitetail hunting. It's ballistically the same as the .243. I would say it's all the gun you need for whitetail. I never shot one over 300 yards, but I shot many at 200-270 yards or so, and I was always satisfied with the performance. Good bullets are a must, as was previously mentioned. I've killed a lot of deer with a 7 Mag, but it's way too much gun for deer under most circumstances. But when you're hunting bear, deer, or whatever on a hunt, but you need to take the right gun for all game.

But if you consider the light weight, light recoil, and consistency of your .243, it's a hard gun to beat for NYS whitetails.

Well, I'll give you my 2 cents on this; The common issue w/ the .243 for deer is the relatively low lbs of knock down force (in a ballistics chart this called "Energy").It's this 'force' or "Energy" that creates the instantaneous shock value and trauma associated w/ 'knockdown'. Typically people try to overcome this w/ a hotter load but this can very easily lead to unexpanded pass thru, especially under 80yds. I do think you might want to move up to 130 grains but I wouldn't go over that, unless you are going to be doing a lot of longer range hunting. A .243 in capable hands (and it sounds like yours are!) is a perfectly fine deer rifle and I would not hesitate to hunt w/ one for a minute. As others have suggested I think you would have better results w/ the Federal 'Noslers' .

My personal favorite for deer hunting is the 7mm Mag, and I have had few deer move very far if at all after getting whacked by this round because it's got tremendous energy which if coupled w/ correct expansion leads to massive wound trauma and instantaneous shock value. That being said I used to see a fair number of deer I shot w/ hot .270 loads take right off w/ little blood on the outside.

No matter what caliber you use you will eventually see a wide variation in the way the bullet wound affects the deer, especially on 'classic' broad side shots behind the shoulder under 80yds. -Andy

After witnessing first hand, how a 7 Rem Mag, absoluetly crumbles a large whitetail, I agree.

No need to look for a blood trail whatsoever.