How do the fuel taxes in NY work?

rolmops

I am asking this mostly because whenever I buy gas in Massachusetts for my boat, I can get the taxes back because this gas is not being used on any roads in MA.

Is there a similar system in NY or is there no such thing in NY?

Thanks.

Oh they are great ,all the fuel tax goes into mantaining the roads..to test this just drive blindfolded (sorta like our govener) when heading to NY you cantell you crossed the ny line ....................

By the way you bounce off your seat ,your boat becomes airborn and your camber, and caster are out of wack.

Oh I Digress shure we get all our taxes back here ya go :mooning: yup they put it right there..

Taxes in NY go like this: Up all the time. All our lives. No breaks. This state will, and does find new ways to tax us. For example the "user fee" on vehicle registrations. We've just had an increase in our hunting/fishing/trapping licenses and they are now cutting DEC personnel. There are hidden taxes and surcharges everywhere. We now stand to loose two House seats due to falling population. This state will never wake up. It is destined to be a welfare state similar to California. Check out our medicaid spending. Cuomo won't change anything, they'll continue to do the "death by a thousand cuts". Family keeps us here...for now.

For tackle manufacturers (those that are compliant anyway) we pay a similar FET (excise tax) for maintenance, upkeep, the building of..... etc etc. fishing related launches, fishing access sites etc etc.

I loved how during a past FET audit it was noted that the hiking trails in BFE also took a % of my $25,000+/yearly taxes sent to the IRS for above noted maintenance

Also had an accountant of mine point out to me that I had over-paid during a past quarter and that some goods were not FET applicable.

It's been 18 months and no refund is yet scheduled, this even after a lower than real value was assessed.

Meanwhile I was 7 days late for my 3rd QTR FET payment in 2010 already, a $132.00 penalty and interest fee was charged with a date of 12/27/10 for me to pay

LMAO

Also I noted to my FET auditor that I would possibly need to re-consider the future of my online web-site? This of which about 30% of my FET is based or $7500.00 of FET maintenance revenue. Due to various items I sell with no proof of FET collected from manufacturer but that I have to be compliant on.

His answer, "Oh, ok, no problem"

WTF

It's not just NY, but it makes it tough to keep the doors open at times.

Tom

Simple really, gas goes in your tank, NY State takes the money from your back pocket. :@

I don't know about NY state, but any fuel that is used for other than over the road ie; farm equipment,boat ect. the federal tax is deductable, if you itemize your tax return.