>>>----COYOTE---->

HOLY DIVER

Called this female yote in last night across a field, 180yd shot no lights just perfect full moon with snow, nights like that are worth losing sleep! Also bagged a fox that took 20min of barking back and forth for him to show himself but when he did he come in he sat down 25 yard in front of me,,, wrong move! Can’t wait to get out this weekend and stack’em up,

coyote.jpg

Nice job. Yeah, about the hybreds, I was in Stueben co yesterday and saw a GIANT. Perhaps it was a cross. Predator stuff is all new to me, haven't hunted them yet(blasted a few incidentals) but I am seeing them everywhere.

Had a cool last day, got my doe with the T/C, and passed 2 small bucks. Most noteworthy was when I watched a huge dark coyote or coydog slither out of the woods 200yds away. Just when he was coming into range, he blew 2 does out of some pines and they were all off and running. His track was alarmingly big. Everytime I see a woman wearing a real fur coat, I compliment her on it.

Good Luck predator hunters!

Diver, nice job on the yote! Curious as to what you are using for calling? My son & I just got into this last winter & the guy who got us hooked moved out of the area b4 we could really get a handle on that part of the deal.The fellow we started hunting yotes with had a Fox Pro electronic caller. I'm in on the Bark @ the Moon Forum but I thought I'd get your input since you are obviously into the predator thing. Thanks, -Andy

Fox pro is an excellent calling system. I personally use mouth calls. I can really crank on the rabbit in distress and the coyote pup in distress yips. I also have two squeakers from one of my dogs toys. They work great when the predator is hung up out of range. I usually use a shotgun, so I have to have the critters in close....

ahh back in the day we had a portable 45rpm record player with a loudspeaker for fox and crows (no dogs back then) ,then came the invention of the "cassette player" boy were we ever teco guys.

Now ya can buy spinnin rabbits and pocket sized callers that sound pretty good. but the good ole moulth calls always seem to Trick the educated ones from turkeys to the smartest of fox or dogs. And like mentioned the alpha males (yes i know the dec says their ant no such thing in the coyote family) are getting hudge in the southern tier and a tad bit braver when it comes to claiming a carcass. tho using a deer carcass is ileagle for baiting ill guess :lol: something like that might work pretty good to get a few togeather..but a few frozen fish remains might get their attention too if ya got a little room in yer freezer next summer..

I have them hanging around here, have for years, and they seem to be getting larger and bolder! They come near the house and howl getting the dogs all wound up! The wife has been seeing them on her walks, and I had a few follow me walking back from my tree stand at dusk. And it's not the first time. And several years back my neighbors dog got attacked by some, and there's hardly any rabbits or deer in my area anymore, I know a few guys who hunt them with dogs just a few miles from here, and they killed 112 last season. I have never hunted them, but I think this season I'm going to start helping to thin them OUT! What are they worth for pelts or carcass? And any tips on hunting them?

Lew

First thing in am, and right at dusk. I usually have a partner with me and I have him sit 50 to 75 yards down wind. Coyotes are notorious for approaching down wind....same with red fox. Greys on the other hand Just try to run you over. Very aggressive. Would be glad to meet up and give you some pointers.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

you can find a lot of good info on the bark at the moon coyote club web site I suggest watching his seminars if you are thinking about getting serious , the biggest tips I could give you is hunt down wind they are very wary so use the same percussions you would for deer x2 as far as the calling I have the FoxPro FX3 that I use the majority of the time I set it about 60-80yd out with a rabbit decoy and use a distress call I have had fox come in and grab the decoy before I even get the scope on them! I always carry a mouth call for 2 reasons on being that I have had the batteries die on the foxpro and a lot of time you will get dogs that like to talk back its eraser to use a mouth call and mimic the sound they make to get them to close the distance,

if you are not sure where the packs are in your area drive around at night ,shut the truck off and use a locater howl 95% of the time you will get a response from the pack if they are there, then set up a few hundred yards down wind and start calling ,in that case I use the light challenge calls they are very territorial, when they are packed up,

my partner and I sit side by side he has a 22-250 and I use 243 WSSM both have LED lights mounted on them that are good out to 100 on a dark night then we scan with a LED spot light while calling THEY CAN NOT SEE THE LED( big secret!) I put it right on them from 300yd and they come right to me just found this out last year and it has changed the way of coyote hunting.. I have tripled my success rate!

http://www.gofoxpro.com/fpsounds/index.php

here are my most used sounds

rabbit calls 237,L50,214

yote locater 207 gets the pack going

yote calls c16,,c23,c24,after the shot c17 210,

Good luck, if you have a dog problem in Livingston Co ,,PM me I can fix it,

Dogs like this 44# femle are definetly eating more then rabbits to get this big!

yote.jpg

OK guys,how often do you call in dogs and don't shoot because they might just be some farmers dog? Last Sunday I was watching at the end of a hedge row and a dog or a yote came through the corn field, it was on the dark side,all most black with a bushey tail and one hind leg. He pasted me and cut behind me down wind, he stop checked the wind turned and ran like hell. I think it was a old farm dog so I didn't try a shot. Do you shot if there's doubt?

OK guys,how often do you call in dogs and don't shoot, Do you shot if there's doubt?

I couldn’t help but think of the famous chopper seen from FMJ “how do you shoot woman and children?.. It’s easy you just don’t lead them as muchâ€

FMJ clip- http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/586245

I guess it could happen I guess like any hunting if you’re not sure don’t shoot, and if you were sure and you were wrong I guess you have some explaining to do it could happen I have heard of a guy that wacked a German shepherd and got arrested for but could be rumor, I have been calling for over 8 years and never called a domestic dog in and if I did I would do the right thing. RUN >>>

Holy Diver is right.....Domestic dogs wont really come in like regular critters. I hunt some high pressure areas with houses nearby and ive never called in a domestic animal. Ive had an owl come down and try to snag my decoy though....Scared the $hit out of me. I also had a pack of yotes come in behind me when I was hunting alone....They were so close I could hear them growling.....I did manage to shoot one , but the other 4 halled arse....Once you get those first set of eyes coming in , you'll be hooked....Good luck...

Any of you guys ever hunt yotes on Rattlesnake Hill? That place was loaded with them and who ever picked up the area road kill deer was dumping the carcasses over the bank off the main road, I'd have to find my map to give you the name. I could see 40-50 carcasses piled up there.I don't have a 4x4 and I didn't think I would be able to get around in there after deer season so I didn't go back..

I've called in feral dogs and cats at night..... the dogs always come barking, and cats approach with a very recognizable signature..... the eyes light up and go out, light up and go out...... they look at you and look down....all the way in........ fox and yotes don't do that....

We hounded up one yote this morning, and had 2 escapeeees...... :(