speed/temp probe??

I am getting a speed/temp probe. I am looking for recommendations on what exactly to get. I am not familiar with them and last summer everyone told me I need one to catch more fish. Any help would be great. I can't wait to get back out!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

There are a number of very good units available to suit your needs & wallet. Do a simple search here for, Depth Raider, Moor Sub Troll, or down speed & temp units. You'll find a broad array of pro's - cons and comments on each. What's good for one is not necessarily the best for others.

http://www.moorelectronics.com/fishing/fishing.html

http://www.kelloutdoors.com/Depth%20Rai ... onitor.htm

I bought a Fish Hawk X4 last spring and it does everything it is supposed to do,but when I observed on the Spoonfed last spring Captain Glen used a sub troll with better results than I managed with my Fish Hawk.

I guess that the probe is just another tool in your chest,but the experience and the skills of the user is what makes this tool great or just so-so. If you can, catch a ride with the owner of one of these probes and find out which one is good for you.

Whichever one you find under the tree,use it in good health and be grateful for being able to be out on the lake.

May you have good health, good hunting and sweet winter dreams about next season's fishing.

Thanks to all!! Although I am confused a little. I tow my boat all over PA and NY fishing for alot of different species with alot of different methods. Trolling is maybe 30% of my fishing so I am no expert, especially for trout and salmon on Ontario. I thought the probe attaches to the downrigger cable. How does the coated cable work? What is blowback? I am constantly disconnecting my downriggers to fish for bass/walleye/panfish in smaller lakes. Do any of the probes have permanently mounted fixtures which will interfere with other fishing?

I have had very good results for many years with Fish Hawk products, most recently the X-4. You will need to install a transducer on your boat, or at least mount one on a removable bracket for your transom, but you will not need the coated cable. The blow back is minimal, as it is one of the smallest probes on the market. The head(read out) connects and disconnects in seconds.

Good Luck.

Blowback is angle of the rigger cable that results from the drag from the water pulling back on the downrigger cable/probe/rigger weight. The more blowback, the further it is pulled back from straight down behind the boat. Cable thickness, probe size and rigger weight (shape and weight) all have a factor in the amount of blowback.

monkey puke,

Your speed and temp unit should be used as a tool along with your fish finder. Fishing perfered temp produces fish but some days the fish are out of temp. If you see hooks on the fish finder in cold water, don't be affraid to put a rig down there . Same goes for hooks high out of temp. Spread out your rigs below, in and above the thermalcline.

Monkey Puke,

Like you, I just got a depth/temp probe and after a lot of study went with the Fish Hawk X4. I see you're from Kersey and one of my fishing buddies is from nearby St Marys, so I often pick him up on the way to Olcott. Maybe we can tie up and compare notes sometime in 2011.

That would be great. I am originally from St Marys. I lived in Cortland, NY for 2 1/2 years and bought my trolling equipment while there. I moved back here and being away from any serious trollers, I have a harder time learning. Walleye on erie come alot easier to me usually than trout on ontario. This website is awesome for me.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

This site is GREAT. It's what's meant by "standing on the shoulders of giants". Like you, Erie was my mainstay until I got over the Out of State license phobia this year. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. When I explained to my fishing buddy how to rig a Blacks release and he mistakenly wrapped it several times around the release and a fish busted 30 lb Power Pro, I knew I wasn't in Erie any more.

Hi!

I was thinking of getting a Fishhawk X4 . Was wondering if the transducer would mess with my FF which is 50/200hz?

Happy New Year !

JT

On my old Fishawk 840 it could. I mounted the transducer on the opposite side of the transom and ran the wires down the opposite side of the boat and never had any problem.

Glen

Hi!

I was thinking of getting a Fishhawk X4 . Was wondering if the transducer would mess with my FF which is 50/200hz?

Happy New Year !

JT

It didn't bother on mine . I have a Lowrance 82/200hz

Anybody know what frequency the Fishhawk is? I have 50/200 on my Furuno, and I am adding a Garmin GPS but installing a thru hull as a back up FF and am thinking about an 83kh transducer for that. I am installing a fishhawk as well and want to make sure it wont interfere. Thanks

Brian