Auto-pilot purchase questions

Don Supon

Am thinking about an auto-pilot purchase for a 2009 9.9 Honda kicker (with power trim). The Garmin TR1 Gold sounds real nice and I have read several posts about them. The boat is a 2006 18' Lund Fisherman.

Questions I have include the possibility of poor steering as this motor is connected to and steered by the main motor. Will this be a problem, or should I simply disconnect from the main motor?

Will the power trim be a problem?

Another question is would I be content if I don't add the wireless remote as this is a smaller boat.

Should I be considering other brands which may be more functional and/or cheaper?

Experienced responses are hoped for and Thank You in advance.

Don,

I've got a Raymarine sx5 on my lund. I've had it for three years now and have had no issue's with it. It's a wheel mounted unit. I troll with my 9.9 Merc connected to my main motor. This unit doesn't have speed control but I use a Digi-troll unit which works fine. I don't have the unit hooked in with my gps unit but you can if yoou wanted to. I fish the fingers so I don't see the need. I can tell you this for sure, once you get one you will never want to be without again, I some times wonder how I ever fished with the kids and "newbies" on the boat without one.

If you want to have the motors connected use the Garmin GHP-10. Its not cheap but it will hold a corse at any speed. I had the Raymarine unit and it would kick off if I went slower than 2.5 That was on a 2006 model, I don't know how the new ones are. One thing I do know is when I had a question on instalation when I called Garmin I was talking to some one in less than two minutes. Not the case when I have called Lowrance, or Raymarine. Sean

I have the tr1-gold this unit has to be disconnected from the main motor to work. I've been running it for three years now and has never let me down yet. I have a 25' walk around and fish with it in four to five foot seas. One of my friends was so impressed with it he put one on this boat also. I would be lost without it ! It also comes with throttle control so all i have to do is push buttons all day :yes:

Jersey Jim

Thank you all for the replys. I've also spoken with Garmin about my concerns and they gave me advice that matches what I've received here. I was leary of advice from the manufacturer, but you guys backed them up.

So I called Trolling Solutions.com (in Idaho) and they told me the same. The complete unit has been ordered there at at cost of almost $1000 less than other sellers prices. And he told me that for an extra $125 or so I can order a splitter that will give me control from a second location (helm and motor in my 18'er) so the wireless is not needed. After I install the unit and learn how to use it, I might go with that option. He also suggested I mount both with velcro fasteners.

L.O.U.is a great source of information and help from experienced fishermen who are willing to help other fishermen. It has made me aware of many options I would not have heard about anywhere else. That is why I gave the information about Trolling Solutions, in case someone else is considering an auto-pilot system. The TR1-Gold is for small outboards (up to 20 hp) and the GHP10 for larger motors, in case someone doesn't know.

For those of you interested Raymarine will be launching a completely redisigned x5 pilot this spring. Much like the sportpilot before it it will mount behind the wheel and is ideal for small to midsize vessels with mechanical or hydrolic steering. The last generation launched a few years ago was much improved over the previous design dating back to the autohelm days. These pilots are compatable with the wireless remotes as well offering a true hands free experience.

Hi Mike

I ordered the TR1-Gold and will be disconnecting the steering rod for use. Just a matter of sliding the end cover and lifting from the fitting. I'll have to wait to see if I'll be able to leave it disconnected permanently.

Package included cylinder bracket kit, throttle actuator, shipping, no tax- for under $2600. Instalation price unknown at this time. Trollin Solutions (1-866-676-5006) if interested.