bimini top advice

dremarquis

hello all,

after fishing all day yesterday in the 93 degree heat, i'm considering getting a bimini top. my boat is about 40 years old - an aluminum starcraft with a 9.9hp. What are the pros and cons of bimini tops? i know that it would be hard to cast and jig with it on, but if i were just trollilng, it seems it wouldn't be in the way too much.

Can you mount bimini tops on an old aluminum boat?

What are good brands that aren't too expensive?

thanks a bunch,

andre

Bimini tops are great for getting out of the weather without a hard top - sun, rain, wind & snow ( :shock: if you are so inclined.) Don't know what kind of boat you actually have but I have dual console w/a walkthrough windshield and a bimini top that snaps down to the top of the windshield and has clear side enclosures. It does a great job keeping the rain out and keeping the sun off of you.

Only downside is with the 17' boat it doesn't leave a ton of room behind the top for fishing purposes (i.e manuevering rods around, fighting & landing fish etc.) With a 19' boat you shouldn't have much of an issue with that I wouldn't think.

You really get what you pay for with canvas, go with the best you can for your budget. Mine is sunbrella fabric which is quite pricey but it came with the boat so I really don't know how much it cost aftermarket. It is good stuff though - very durable and still sheds rain really well.

Hope this helps. DAN