Coyotes and fawns?

jimski2

I've seen coyotes hunt a hedgerow for fawns in the spring..... one on each side traveling along, hoping to jump a doe & fawn.... or at least that was my guess at their behavior.... and a friend from work watched a red fox trying to attack a fawn with a doe.... the doe lowered her head, charged, and gave the fox a couple quick head-butts, and ran it off..... said he never would have believed it.....

adult does can put a whooping on. Do a search on you tube. Couple sad videos of the adult does putting the smack down on house dogs because they are sure they are yotes. sad cause they are house dogs but i hope they do the same to the yotes

Hopefully we can get them under control round here.

adult does can put a whooping on. Do a search on you tube. Couple sad videos of the adult does putting the smack down on house dogs because they are sure they are yotes. sad cause they are house dogs but i hope they do the same to the yotes

Hunters will NEVER "control" coyote populations. Man has tried to do that for decades. Predators like coyotes are controlled ONLY by food availability. If you want to eliminate coyotes---take away their food!

Studies in the western states have proven that killing "excessive" numbers of coyotes results in the remaining coyotes increasing their litter sizes to compensate. The more you kill the more you will have!

They are here to stay!

Not doubting the OP's fact but I would like to see the actual data that states coyotes alone kill 80% of fawns. Seems very high for a state with tremendous habitat and lots of "other food".

I agree with Paul fully. It is called species population oscillation (boom and bust cycle) just like every other animal, rabbits, fox, beaver, grouse, and many others. As the deer population skyrockets because of poor management (non-doe hunters) and limited hunting area, the deer population will boom. As such, the predator population will grow but lagged slightly behind the prey population. When the predator population can overtake the prey then they both will crash and the cycle starts over.

In states that Coyotes and Wolves reign (out west and Canada) bucks have bigger bodies and racks. The increased fitness is probably the result of years of pressure from predators (survival of the fittest). We wipped out coyotes in the southern tier for decades until they rebounded. Did we help cause a decrease in fitness within the deer population during those years? Possibly. I know the bucks coming from Ohio are bigger than the ones from NY, and yet they are next door so genetics should not be an issue with farmland/food being equal. I agree they are here to stay......but I am going to shoot at them still the same because they don't descriminate between doe vs buck fawns. ;(

Hunters will NEVER "control" coyote populations. Man has tried to do that for decades. Predators like coyotes are controlled ONLY by food availability. If you want to eliminate coyotes---take away their food!

Studies in the western states have proven that killing "excessive" numbers of coyotes results in the remaining coyotes increasing their litter sizes to compensate. The more you kill the more you will have!

They are here to stay!

Not doubting the OP's fact but I would like to see the actual data that states coyotes alone kill 80% of fawns. Seems very high for a state with tremendous habitat and lots of "other food".

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I agree w/ what Paul has said .In my opinion Coyotes are opportunistic predators that are able to change their forage base and population dynamics quickly as a response to changes in their environment and as such they are basically a 'natural' part of a healthy ecosystem. I find it really hard to accept that Coyotes are a one size 'fits all' villian that is eliminating large portions of the N.E. deer herd. I will readily admit I'm not a coyote biologist or predator hunting expert by any means but I've killed over a dozen of them on our farm and several more as a 'favor' for my landlords and found nothing but mice & other unrecognizable small animal remains in their digestive tract. I'm not saying they never eat anything else but I do think they eat a lot of rodents even though this doesn't fit w/ their 'evil' public image. -Andy

Here's an interesting little article:

http://www.knowhunting.com/article.html?id=199

In my opinion, I think the deer population is still very healthy and either growing slightly or stable. However, there is likely a proportionate "shift" in deer from areas where they perceive predation or low forage (i.e. vast forest land where the coyotes and other predators typically live in large numbers) to areas where the deer feel safer and have more abundant food (i.e. in small woodlots in the suburbs, neighborhoods, commercial landlots etc). Since we're hunting predominantly in these larger forested areas, I think that's why we're perceiving that we're seeing less deer.

I hunted many, many days this past year and my biggest buck kill this year was a trophy in my own backyard (you guys saw my trail cam shots).....

Just my two cents,

- Chris

countyyote.jpg

Joplin, with her coyote, myself, and the shooter..... "country".

Seems to me there are more and more coyote tracks (in pairs or groups) on deer tracks....... when I 1st started chasing them I never saw that locally........ I think they're learning to hunt deer more effectively. From what I've read, they eat alot of woodchucks, mice, moles, voles, rats....... and at times of the year deer.... like hunting season (wounded deer) and spring (fawns).... I'd be interested to know if others are seeing this behavior more also (coyotes hunting deer in groups).....

We are up here in Northern Niagara county, near the Lakeshore around Olcott harbor. Talking to friends along the lakeshore from Somerset west to Wilson and Youngstown, they are experiencing the same things. Many nights just after dark you can hear them howling. It is mainly rural, with lots of agriculture outside of the villages. Lots of human intrusion except in the dense thickets and on the "safe zone" farmettes and 5--25acre posted parcels. The Deer find these safe zones fairly quickly, and so must the Coyotes.

I think as stated above, they are adjusting and thriving. I'm just surprised at the amount of daytime sightings.

The mating season for Eastern Coyote's is Jan/Feb & males will move out of their home area to find mates. It is in this period of time that more people are often aware of them out & about. Gestation is a little over 2 months and the pups can run by 4 weeks of age. In the early fall the family disperses and again it is in this 'dispersal' period that yotes are noticed more by people as the young move around and attempt to find core areas of their own. There is a fair amount of howling just after dark in early bow season as groups shuffle around & try to claim or reclaim their core areas which get stressed by the introduction of the 'new' generation.

• 4 weeks later...

As I've been unable to get to my computer (recovering from LYME Disease), I just read the coyote and fawns post, As a hunter in N.E. and previously in both Canada and Western states I can say that when I talk to my N.Y. friends that are successful hunters - 5 to 6 deer a season sure as #*#$- puts an inordinate amount of pressure on and area's deer population- especially if the hunters take anything that bleats, or snorts.

Several of my acquaintances will rationalize that they exist and survive eating only wild game meat - and yet they hold down relatively well-paying jobs.

I hunt for big deer and only big deer in the trophy class. I pass up does and spikes.

I can eat plenty of venison and wild game, but the conservationist in me dictates I maintain some self-control.

P.S.Before my Lyme Disease really laid me low; I shot one deer this last season - it dressed-out at 173 lbs. and had a 10 point rack, I'm letting it dry and will have it officially scored in late April.

• 4 weeks later...

A Syracuse PHD Biologist gave a presentation on coyotes the other night in Hamburg.

Some of the main points she made is that they are here in New York.

They eat fawns, get that, our deer hunting success will change in the future.

Guns, traps and poisons failed to kill off the coyotes out west.

Do your best to keep them out of your hunting grounds and neighborhoods.

Get your kids involved in trapping NOW.

I watched some coyotes chase the three deer that mill around the edge of the woods behind my house. The deer were back the next night so the coyotes lost. Not only fawns, but I think they get some weaker deer when the snow is deep.