downrigger weights

dewey123

I just got a pair of scotty manual downriggers. They came with a pair of scotty releases, mounts and weights. I m wondering if they are heavy enough. They are 8lb balls. I know alot of people use heaviers weights and didnt want to buy new weights if i didnt have to. Also I want to put stackers on these. i have 2 blacks releases I want to put on as sliders and i see that i can put them on 2 ways cut the crimps off the end slide them on and recrimp the snap on the end of the wire. or open myself up to disaster and unwind 200 feet off the spooland slide the release on and wind it back up onto the spool. I dont know what kind of crimps to get to re-crimp the snap back on. I looked for some crimps at gander mountain but couldnt find anything.

The 8lbers can work for you some of the time, particularly early spring and late fall fishing the top 40'. The most important thing is you run the same weight on both riggers. You will be glad they are only 8lbers when you are smacking fish and are cranking them up over and over. You will probably want to invest in at least 12lbers for summer.

As for the crimps, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish but DO NOT take all the cable off to install your releases. Both Cannon and Klincher make a quick install termination for your cable end. If you want to install the old style Blacks on your cable, do so from the Ball end, and then use one of these products. Until someone shows you how to crimp the swivel on stick with these easy to use connections. They endure abuse very well and may very well save you a lead ball.

thanks captain vince. Im going to check them out now and order some tonight when i get done with work. Im happy to hear them little 8 lb eights will work for a little while. I am thinking about them 12 lb weights in the classified section.