Duck boat sinking episode 12/27/10 seneca lake

Has anyone heard about a duck boat that sunk but was recovered episode on monday?

The story I got was some dumb a*& and his buddy (who told me) went out on Monday to hunt some ducks in the guy's brand new 21ft duck boat. I had asked him if that was the day the wind was like 50mph. He said yep, but his buddy told him they would be fine because they were going to go behind the break wall. while enroute they took a wave over the side. Once they got to the break wall and emptied their bowels in their pants, they relized that was stupid and they decided to go back to the launch (by clute park). Once they cleared the break wall on their way back the motor dies. They end up washing up on shore against the rocks. His buddy was pusing the nose back into the wind once they got the motor running just a a big wave hit the nose and flipped him onto the rocks knocking him out cold. Once he comes too, they decided that they would leave and get a boat to tow it back to the launch. They grabbed a 14 ft to tow it in on Tuesday. With the 21ft full of water it was a very difficult chore for this little engine but they made it back to the gas pumps at Erways. They decided to leave the 21ft one more day tired off to the dock and get it in the morning because it was dark. They left the biliage pump on to pump out the rest of the water over night. When they returned they wee a little surprised to see it under water only floating due to the floats under the seats. The were able to tow it to the launch and load it on the trailer. After the water emptied out, there was 3 huge holes in the bottom due to being smashed on the rocks. I guess this boat was only one month old at a tune of $40,000. As the saying goes just because you have money it doesn't take away stupid.

I take it you aren't stupid or never done anything stupid. I have been fishing Seneca lake for over 50 years and have had mishaps myself. In an instant things happen you don't have control over and s--t happens. Don't call a moment of poor judgement stupid until you are in the situation when you only have an instant to make the call. Sometimes it's the wrong one and that's not stupid. Hope you never need a tow for running out of gas. That's stupid!

Seems like some people just don't realize how "hardcore" us late season duck hunters are. Stupid is as stupid does..... we saved some moron from Virgina at the north end when the 12' jon boat with 4" of freeboard and a Sears robuck motor from the 60's didn't cut it in 20 mph ENE winds. Your welcome and stay off the Finger lakes if your not READY for all that mother nature can dish out

Being in 30+ mph winds is stupid especially in winter while on a low profile boat. I have picked up numerous dead bodies while in the coast gaurd, so i think that I can speak based on past experience of what can and does happen in rough weather conditions. The only thing that saved their lives was the fact they were pushed up on the rocks. If it was in open water they would have died before they could swin back to shore.

These 2 had more than an instant to make a call when they decided to lauch driving around to check out the breakwall to see if it was calm behind it. I too have fished seneca lake for 30+ years and have had mishaps from unexpected storms. But never have I attempted to go in 30+ mph winds in the middle of winter. The person who was telling me this is a member on this board and he has stated how stupid they were and that he was lucky to be alive especialy after being knocked out, cut up, and total back brusing. He decided to go with the other guy because he had a new boat and thought he had a vast knowledge of boating. Nope, he didn't just a pocket full of cash to buy the boat and no experience to run it.

Yes I have put my boat into situations that most people would not such as being on Lake Ontario in 8-10ft waves. The difference is knowing how to handle a boat in those conditions. The reason they took on water in the first place was the fact they stayed abeem to the waves. The worst posible position in rough weather.

As far as your point of not understanding "hardcore" late season duck hunters. I do understand that and the one who got knocked out, has killed numerous ducks off my dock on seneca lake. He knows he can hunt anytime he wants too off it.

Well, i saw the boat at Billy bobs marina and heard of the story. The boat is smashed, luckily they made it to the rocks and are alive. I ask that people be respectful, due to the fact that, Sh*t happens. I am sorry if this offends anyone. Good friends of mine hit the breakwall this past summer in the middle of the night. I am glad they are still here today, Seneca and all lakes have claimed many good hearted lives over the years, if someone makes it out alive, well we should be greatful for them. Take care guys and be safe. :beer:

I think what Steve meant by "hardcore" was that most people don't realize the amount of effort and preparation it takes to brave Seneca on a routine basis in the winter, AND at the same time to be prepared for the worst contingencies. I don't want folks to think that we're a bunch of yahoos taking risks because our balls are bigger than our brains. Though that's true to some extent...

Obviously, the gentleman in question with the 21' boat was not prepared, nor was the guy in the 10 foot jonboat with a lawn mower engine on Sunday who we helped out. Big boats don't mean squat if you don't know how to handle them or aren't prepared. In fact, we purchased Mustang suits this year specifically for perch fishing Seneca just to be safe.

Unfortunately, we aren't lucky enough to know anyone who has a dock we could hunt from at Seneca...unless there are a few members of this board who might be willing to let a couple of "hardcore" hunters hunker down one morning. PovertyStricken? Anyone?

My 2 cents

I have spent most of my adult life around Seneca lake and have had boats on that lake for more than 50 years. I have come to the understanding that one must think of Seneca as a "bigger water" situation than the other finger lakes, under some conditions. Big waves can build in a hurry and they are closely stacked waves with no swell, like the great lakes or the ocean has. If you get abeam of those waves a small boat can get in trouble fast, and the other thing is, a big wave pouring over the transom if the bow digs in. As we know, the waves get the biggest as they come into shallow water...duh...out in front on the south end is the worst of it in a big wind. I have gotten into trouble 2x, years ago, in a small boat trying to get back into the canal when a storm came up. Better to go aground someplace at some cottage beach.

our balls are bigger than our brains. Though that's true to some extent...

:lol::lol::lol: The truth is this, when we go out all of our senses focus on what could be the worst possible out come. ANYTHING could prevent one or all of us from coming home. If the lake doesn't match the weather forecast than use your head. NO duck or FISH is worth your life. I'm thankful that the outcome of my fellow duck hunters was not a fatality and just a costly life lesson. I've been down that road and it nearly cost me a close friend on the Mighty Niagara river. Accidents do happen if we go out with the mind set that WE are mortal than some things we take for granted should weigh heavier than others....... Happy New Year to all my LOU friends and stay safe

one of the bigest things rookies do, is not pay attention or are unaware of breakwall slap,thats the waves bouncing back into oncomming waves ...yes new guys should not attempt to learn to drive a boat under such conditions..take time this winter to upgrade yerself ..the power squadron boating course mightlern ya a few things..and thank yer lucky stars ,and God might have a reason for keeping ya down here , so ponder a few thoughts

I think we can all say we've done not so smart things in life, Just thank god Seneca didn't claim a couple of more souls. That lake at that end, I've found out this past year, gets nasty fast in even relatively light winds.

Glad to hear no one was injured or killed.